Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About bloody time!  (Read 8559 times)

milo

• Old Timer
About bloody time!
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »

After weeks of chasing coho around the mainland and getting only wild fish to the beach, I finally hooked into and landed a chrome hatchery beauty of about 8 pounds. The fly that fooled it was the trusted sparkly green wooly bugger.

I managed another hatchery one, but it came to the beach with the fly stuck in its side although I had seen the fish jump out of the water several times with the fly in its snout.
Experienced anglers know plenty well that a coho "dance" often dislodges the hook from their mouth only to have it embedded again somewhere else in their body. Yet rules are rules, so I had to let that one go.

How's your coho chasin' so far, fellow FFs?

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: About bloody time!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »

Good for you for letting it go. I would have too. For some reason I have talked to so many people this year who have admitted to keeping snagged fish or say they would have kept it especially if no one was looking... I agree.. rules are rules.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

I've touched a couple but nothing to the beach yet.  Gonna start fishing in earnest tomorrow though.

Glad you got one to the beach, Milo!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »

Had the slime lines out for a while today, did okay on the quick strip with a couple to hand but nothing missing a fin.

The missus had a beauty on { pretty sure double digits } but it took a hardy second "turn and burn" and popped off.

Was a nice day with very few people around where we were.

geezuz almost forgot  :o...............nice fish bud !!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »

I've touched a couple but nothing to the beach yet.  Gonna start fishing in earnest tomorrow though.

Glad you got one to the beach, Milo!

Maybe I see you out there...got some newly formed prime coho water to show you. ;)

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:48:24 AM »

Nice going, Milo. Glad you got stuck into them. Most of the coho with adipose fins DO have mixed hatchery stock genes.

DanNagt

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »

Way to go! That's certainly something I've been looking forward to this year. I've been chasing with little luck. I spent yesterday walking the Chilliwack river and learning more than casting due to the shoulder-shoulder pressure.

Not to hijack the thread but I've got the next two Monday's off and plan to hit the Chilliwack river again. Would love to meet up with an experienced fly fisher to learn from. I can read PMs but can't reply. email works.

Dan

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »

Not to hijack the thread but I've got the next two Monday's off and plan to hit the Chilliwack river again. Would love to meet up with an experienced fly fisher to learn from. I can read PMs but can't reply. email works.
Dan

Dan, I am a weekend warrior only. If you can fit a Saturday or Sunday, I would be happy to share with you the little I know.

This slab came in yesterday. I worked very hard for it:

It was caught on a colour variation of the popular Mickey Finn streamer.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:08:34 PM by milo »

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »

I finally got to land one yesterday in the vedder canal after most of the people left the gongshow, the bites started picking up around sunset. Caught mine on a muddler minnow.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »

I finally got to land one yesterday in the vedder canal after most of the people left the gongshow, the bites started picking up around sunset. Caught mine on a muddler minnow.

I knew I should have stayed a bit longer, but I don't like to wade in the dark and I didn't have a flashlight with me.
Congrats on your perseverance. Looks like a nice chromer even in almost zero light conditions.

Muddler minnow, eh? Man, it's a fly that so many of my buddies swear by, but I have yet to catch a coho with it.
Go figure.

blackskull

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »

Milo,

Really enjoy reading your posts here and the other forum.

I've been skunked many of seasons looking for these elusive coho.  My fault most of the time cause I usually fish with my gear friends.  My first coho was 2 seasons ago on the Stave and that was it, haven't seen another one since.

This season, I finally told myself I had enough and to go look for this froggy water everyone talks about.  I found some and it had some nice water for both me and my gear friends.  Well, we met up this past Sunday and I had my most epic day fishing ever!  I landed around 10 coho. 

Anyways, I tried many a fly myself, including these infamous muddlers... nothing was really working.  I then tied on this fly and it was by FAR the hottest fly.  I only had one on me and lost it to a tree branch :(  It did not disappoint the next day either.  It produced when everyone else around me was getting nothing. 

Giver a try next time.

Here it is:
Hook: Size 6, 2XL
Bead: 5/32 Copper
Tail: Red mallard flank
Body: Gold diamond braid
Rib: Thin\small wire
Collar: Large copper UV polar chenille (max 3 wraps)

copper by Blackskull, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:54:52 PM by blackskull »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »

[quote author=blackskull link=topic=34097.msg325070#msg325070 date=1381899186 

Anyways, I tried many a fly myself, including these infamous muddlers... nothing was really working.  I then tied on this fly and it was by FAR the hottest fly.  I only had one on me and lost it to a tree branch :(  It did not disappoint the next day either.  It produced when everyone else around me was getting nothing. 

Giver a try next time.

Here it is:
Hook: Size 6, 2XL
Bead: 5/32 Copper
Tail: Red mallard flank
Body: Gold diamond braid
Rib: Thin\small wire
Collar: Large copper UV polar chenille (max 3 wraps)
[/quote]

Glad you had en epic day. Nothing like a day like that to restore one's confidence, eh?  ;)

Thank you for the recipe. That fly indeed looks like a coho killer. Although I don't tie, I will forward it to my tying buddy, who will be more than happy to whip up a few for us to try.

Cheers,

Milo

Min

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

Every year I tell myself that I have to get out to the rivers.

I bet I could even tie a fly like that!  Even though I would have to go  out and buy some #6 hooks!

Nice fish Milo, and, I am going to try a fly like that soon.

As soon as my Boss, and "Awesome Lady", let me have a weekend off at the same time. :'(

brandooner

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »

cool reel milo, nice fish too!!
The Fishin' Musician!

Castor

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »

Great fish! After getting skunked all summer at the beach I made my way to Squamish and landed my first Coho ever an then a couple more! All wild but I`m purely C&R anyway. Can`t figure out how to attach photos otherwise I'd show some fish and the fly I threw together that helped me lose my Coho virginity.
I'd fish that