Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Almost that time of year  (Read 5789 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Almost that time of year
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

Well, steelies are upon us and a lot of guys are probably going to try hunting them with the fly rod this year, including me. Ive only hooked a few steelhead but casting my switch rod is a lot of fun and don't mind having multiple fishless trips to just have a chance to hook one some day. I've got a solid selection of flies, and 11' 8wt switch rod with a Rio Versi-tip line. If anyone has any useful tips or helpful hits please post. Anything from leaders, flies etc

Cheers and goodluck this season.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
Re: Almost that time of year
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »

I usually run a leader anywhere up to 6 ft long, with an unweighted fly I tend to use a shorter leader than I would with a weighted flies. If your leader is too long with an unweighted fly it will ride too high and possibly be out of the "zone", negating the point of the sink tip.

Flies on the Vedder, I am going with the black/blue/purple theme as in my opinion there are already tons of anglers using pink worms and such. I have one box loaded with various bunny leaches, ESLs, intruders, GPs and popsicles that I carry with me.

My trick is to find a fly or two that you like and have confidence in and stick to 'em.

I'm not sure what methods you will be using, swinging or "nymphing", the hopefully helpful hints above are what I apply to swinging (rarely ever do I dead drfit/nymph with a spey).

oh forgot to mention, time on the river, time, time, time haha.

and leave the gear rod at home when you bring the fly that way you don't have a choice  ;D

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:48:09 PM by TayC »
A swung fly is the best fly.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

I was fortunate to hook a steelie first trip out with my Spey gear, never even cast a spey set up until that day
found a nice run that a couple of gear chuckers had gone through before me

I did switch up flies a couple of times but all were intruders, blue black did the trick
I was using a versa set up with sink tip and 12ft leader, water had good visability

I agree with TayC, stick with a couple of flies, leave the gear rod at home, put your time in
Have fun out there and a fish will be a bonus

looking forward to heading out again myself as I need more casting skills and practice makes perfect right :-\

I dont really have any tips as i am new to spey fishing,I have had more luck with a single hander fishing for summer runs, but winter fishing for steel is way different to me, lots to learn
maybe see you out there BCfisherman97

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »

Ha,ha Britguy, good advice.
That's why I never learned to fly fish properly.
I would always have a gear rod with me and whenever I get frustrated with the flyrod I take my old faithful  ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »

and leave the gear rod at home when you bring the fly that way you don't have a choice  ;D

Truer words have never been spoken. You bring both and you end up doing neither properly - always switching back and forth.
Swinging rocks!
Nymphing is for people who can't cast. :D

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »

Truer words have never been spoken. You bring both and you end up doing neither properly - always switching back and forth.
Swinging rocks!

Milo you inbox is full!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »

Hey you!
I love nymphing and I'm not that bad at casting... at least I don't think so any ways  :P
Swinging is fun, but if you want a REAL hit on the swing, try swinging spoons.

I'm trying my hand at the whole fly thing this year...
Probably start in feb/march/april though.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »

Hey you!
I love nymphing and I'm not that bad at casting... at least I don't think so any ways  :P

IMHO to nymph effectivly requires more skill than to swing a fly. Nymphing typically involves tighter casts and more line control/mending to achieve a drag free cast. Swinging is more like chuck it out as far as is necessary then kick back and look at the schenery while you wait for a bite.

How are the hits on swung intruders any less violent than on spoons? How many steelhead have you caught on the swing? This past year I ended up having to bump up my tippet to 20lb UG because I was broken off so many times by savage takes.  :o
Actions speak louder than words.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »

Hey you!

I would wait until Feb to swing a fly, but I have caught them mid winter (New Years) on dead drifted single egg pattens and egg sucking leeches.
Not all those who wander are lost

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »

IMHO to nymph effectivly requires more skill than to swing a fly. Nymphing typically involves tighter casts and more line control/mending to achieve a drag free cast. Swinging is more like chuck it out as far as is necessary then kick back and look at the schenery while you wait for a bite.

How are the hits on swung intruders any less violent than on spoons? How many steelhead have you caught on the swing? This past year I ended up having to bump up my tippet to 20lb UG because I was broken off so many times by savage takes.  :o

Couldn't be more right with this Sterling, well said.
always a student

Burkie

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:29:41 AM »

If you want to indicator fish for steelhead you might as well use the right equipment and get yourself a gear rod it would be more effective. The reason we get ourselves a Spey Rod is for the enjoyment of swinging flies and having to feel that pull. Tug is the drug.