Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River fisheries perspective  (Read 3066 times)

Nostro

Fraser River fisheries perspective
« on: August 11, 2004, 08:11:39 AM »

http://www.theprogress.com/
The above is a link to the Chilliwack Progress news paper, Aug. 10 issue. The paper has 2 interesting articles that adds perpective to the current issues on the Fraser River fisheries. The article are titled:
- Sockeye fishing "not what it used to be"
and
"Discussions a balm for river tensions"
Never look a fish in the eye.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re:Fraser River fisheries perspective
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 08:17:48 AM »

;)thanx found them very interesting :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 10:29:25 AM »

I was at the meeting as well and the safety issue that was discussed was a plus as no one wants to see anyone hurt.

However the article did not mention, why we went away with a better understanding of the aggrerement than before the meeting. Well we just had recieved a copy of the agreement a few hours before the meeting even though it had been signed a few days before.

How could we know about it if FOC did not tell anyone about it before the meeting.

The article does not mention how unhappy a number of us at the meeting were that FOC and the RCMP were not enforcing the law prior to the agreement. I held up the 10 letters I had at the time and said there is lots beside just us at the meeting that are very unhappy with the current state of enforcement. Of course they still not enforcing the law, as driftfishing goes on outside the open times, outside the designated area, selling of fish outside the agreement goes on daily , no control I am sure at the landing stations and the list goes on.

Will fishing continue when the endangered Thompson River coho that was brought to my attention recently by 2:40 Gordie go on?
Well, I will be very surprised if it does not as they have fished at will for the last few years.

If the media was present at the meeting but they would of course would not been allowed in anyway, a different picture would have been painted.

This is why "Operation Barby" is gathering steam and will move forward big time to get the real facts out.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 10:32:15 AM by chris gadsden »

Bantam_50

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 08:20:49 PM »

Very interesting reads...but I have a real problem swallowing this statement:

There was more of an understanding reached about where everyone's coming from," Chief Douglas added. "A lot of the different groups weren't informed about what was really going on."
Chief Douglas said the recent decision to include an aboriginal driftnet fishery in the new plan reflects the fact that there are more Cheam fishers than there are existing places on the Fraser River to put in set nets.
"They're starting to realize our population is becoming too great in number for the set nets," he said.

Anyone care to fill me in on the recent Cheam band population explosion? LMAO!

It's politics plan and simple for that fishery....you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 08:22:58 PM by Bantam_50 »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 12:13:49 AM »

I don't blame them trying to get their status if they can. The problem is with the current regulations. They are so full of holes that practically anyone can get themselves declared aboriginal.