Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack river increase in chinook adult limit to 2 September 1 to Dec 31  (Read 17071 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Anyone else notice this on the DFO website?  Chinook   Jul 01-Aug 31   4 per day, only 1 over 62 cm.  Sep 01-Dec 31   4 per day, only 2 over 62 cm.  http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

I wonder what the reason for the change is.  Are they anticipating a huge run for fall 2016, or is it to make up for the dismal coho predictions?

DanL

• Old Timer

Annual limit still 10 I assume? I'd be interested to hear the rationale behind this too.

It appears the Capilano and Chehalis also are at 2 adult chinook per day. Is that new as well?

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Annual limit still 10 I assume? I'd be interested to hear the rationale behind this too.

It appears the Capilano and Chehalis also are at 2 adult chinook per day. Is that new as well?
I had not noticed those - and for the Chehalis it includes the summer chinook!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

This will be addressed tonight at the Fraser Valley Salmon Society AGM when Nick provides an overview of the salmon forecast.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=39696.0

DanL

• Old Timer

Will any information or minutes from the meeting be made available to the public afterwards? I don’t mind paying the membership fees for access to the info but no possibility of getting to Chilliwack today.

Rieber

• Old Timer

Didn't they release more Chinook for the anticipated extra visitors for the Olympics and that these are now the returning off-spring from that surplus?

I hope this wasn't a mistake and that we're truly into a fun salmon season.

Maybe this was done to take the edge off what may be another No Sockeye in freshwater season.

Hmmm - I'm curious for the answer.

fisherforever

No sockeye till 2018 guarnteed.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Chinook forecast for this year is much better than even last years. Supposedly record returns coming our way. At least that might offset the predicted super poor coho returns.

If the numbers predicted holds true, then the increased limit is no problem. That, and those Chinook are not a native stock anyway.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Chinook forecast for this year is much better than even last years. Supposedly record returns coming our way. At least that might offset the predicted super poor coho returns.

If the numbers predicted holds true, then the increased limit is no problem. That, and those Chinook are not a native stock anyway.

I will remain cautiously optimistic.  Thanks!

Rieber

• Old Timer

Abundance of Chinook? The Super Trawlers are on their way - don't you worry about there being too many Chinook. Once these floating, city sized fish processing plants drop their nets they are going to remove entire runs from their 4 -year cycles.

Someone is surely going to scoop them up before we get a chance to drop a bar rig. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Maybe they're forecasting a good long snow pack melt with moderate summer temperatures.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I understand this reg has been changed back to 1 per day.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I understand this reg has been changed back to 1 per day.
I'll watch for the change, but as of this morning the website still has 2 per day.  I guess it won't really matter until June 1 on the Chehalis.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I'll watch for the change, but as of this morning the website still has 2 per day.  I guess it won't really matter until June 1 on the Chehalis.
I thought it was still  was at 2 but when I brought it up at the Fraser Valley Salmon Society AGM meeting last night I was informed it was back to 1 because of concerns by the Hatchery obtaining enough brood stock.

DanL

• Old Timer

...I was informed it was back to 1 because of concerns by the Hatchery obtaining enough brood stock.
That's fair enough. If the returns actually end of being high enough to justify increased retention they can always make an in-season change like we see from time to time for other species. Not really into retaining springs personally, but its nice to hear any positive news regarding salmon return numbers after a bad news re: coho, pinks, chum etc for several years now...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Hope they keep it to 1. From September and on, most people will be targeting Coho anyway and won't let a spring take the daily salmon slot of 4 fish. It is enough stinky smell to put 1 slimy white into your car, and 2 whites will likely cause upset stomach on the way back to home. LOL.  ;D ;D