Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where NOT to fish on the Vedder  (Read 13231 times)

Ambassador

Where NOT to fish on the Vedder
« on: November 08, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »

So I have never been fishing on the Vedder, but am pretty keen to go exploring Saturday morning first thing. Not looking for anyone's secret spot (unless you are awesome and willing to message me some hints), but more the areas that I should avoid. I don't mind being around other fishermen, just want to steer clear of any dodgy or s#%tshow spots. I've heard both stellar and sad things about this river, so just looking to have a good experience there.

I've had plenty of peaceful days fishing lately, but not a whole lot of catching. Hoping to change that with a couple nice ones for the smoker.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Where NOT to fish on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »

Avoid: Keith Wilson bridge, train bridge area, tamihi (big no no), stone slab, gravel pit, basically anywhere where there's a cluster of parked vehicles, lol

MoeJKU

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:24:56 PM »

Agreed with KWB, Tamahi, gravel pit, and train bridge. Most of the spots that aren't gong shows people aren't going to post them on here. People do have success at these spots, however, its not fishing to me. I would suggest finding a spot on the side of the road and get ready to put some miles on your boots. I have probably walked that entire river to find the spots that i like. Some of them i know no one will be at because its kinda of sketchy getting into them slopes walking water crossing etc.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »

Agree with the other guys. Avoid the mass amount of parked cars, and get ready to put miles on those boots. Again, if crossing "sketchy water" like moe said, be careful. Don't wanna see on the news about another person being swept away. Tight line!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »

Since fishing has slowed down considerably as it usually does during this time of the year, crowd should not be a huge concern and it is in fact a pretty pleasant river to fish. The above mentioned spots can be busy, but can also be very productive. By using the right methods, you can successfully pick up quality fish by fishing below the crowd.

MoeJKU

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »

Since fishing has slowed down considerably as it usually does during this time of the year, crowd should not be a huge concern and it is in fact a pretty pleasant river to fish. The above mentioned spots can be busy, but can also be very productive. By using the right methods, you can successfully pick up quality fish by fishing below the crowd.
Make sure if you fish below someone you don't low hole them though. Aggravates the hell out of me. Start at the top of the run working your way down, then a fence post comes along a plunks down right below me.  Don't be a low holer, make sure you either ask or move way down if you see someone working a run from top to bottom. Or start above them and follow.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »

That's not what I meant by fishing below someone... I'm talking about way below... ;) The crowded spots are crowded because deeper spots with obstructions ahead of them tend to hold more fish, which are often spooked and unwilling to bite. By fishing further down from the crowd, you have less fish to work with but have a bigger chance to connect with some quality fish.

MoeJKU

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »

That's not what I meant by fishing below someone... I'm talking about way below... ;) The crowded spots are crowded because deeper spots with obstructions ahead of them tend to hold more fish, which are often spooked and unwilling to bite. By fishing further down from the crowd, you have less fish to work with but have a bigger chance to connect with some quality fish.
Yup i know you wouldn't i seen you talking about it before, just wanted to clarify. A lot of people never know about little ethics like that, and they don't get discussed very often thought i would bring it up.
I didn't mean to accuse you of anything..

Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm gonna head out there first thing and hunt for a good spot. Not afraid of some hiking and will be sure not to low-hole anyone (and hopefully not get swept away)! Just picked up a sweet new HMX rod today that I am hoping to break in with some nice salmon.
If you see a big guy with an orange and white cap, that's me. Come say hello.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

islanddude

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

I never heard of "low holing'' . Some runs on the river are large and fish hold in certain spots. You are fishing the top end and some one who knows that the fish hold at the bottom end comes along.Is that person going come up to you and say "" oh by the way the fish hold down at the bottom of this run". That person is going to go where the fish are and if there is a fish there you will know to. If some one comes in on a run I am fishing and shows me where the fish hold then if we meet again in same run where do you think I am going to be? Some people walk up the river so I guess if you walk in above that person your are "high holing" .Absurd. You want to be a meat fisherman than join the  crowds.

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »

I don't like crowding people either, and my first year..  I didn't catch many fish. There is usually a reason why certain spots are popular. There are fish there. Read what Rod just said carefully.

mvelasco

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »

avoid tamahi at all costs still a high traffic area.

dcajaxs

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »

not all of tamahi is bad,  Just a bunch of bad people using bad techniques behind boulders.  there are a few spots with some nice drifts in and around that area.  avoid the cars and explore and you will be rewarded.  cover more ground and that should help your chance of hook ups.  I was out recently and kept switching presentation and gear until something worked.  amazing how picky those fish can be.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »

I never heard of "low holing'' . Some runs on the river are large and fish hold in certain spots. You are fishing the top end and some one who knows that the fish hold at the bottom end comes along.Is that person going come up to you and say "" oh by the way the fish hold down at the bottom of this run". That person is going to go where the fish are and if there is a fish there you will know to. If some one comes in on a run I am fishing and shows me where the fish hold then if we meet again in same run where do you think I am going to be? Some people walk up the river so I guess if you walk in above that person your are "high holing" .Absurd. You want to be a meat fisherman than join the  crowds.

Low holing while fishing for hatchery salmon on an Urban River?  Doesn't exist.  Basically, people come at first light or before, plunk themselves on a spot and proceed to spend a few hours there.  No such thing as "working" a run when it comes to salmon season.  Good luck trying to tell the rest of the anglers downstream from you to wait and let you fish first while you work through the run.  For steelhead, its different.  Some meatholes have fence posters, but for most areas of the river, fishing steelhead is more of a hunt and you need cover as much water as you can.  That is where low-holing becomes an issue. 

Suther

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »

Low holing while fishing for hatchery salmon on an Urban River?  Doesn't exist.  Basically, people come at first light or before, plunk themselves on a spot and proceed to spend a few hours there.  No such thing as "working" a run when it comes to salmon season.  Good luck trying to tell the rest of the anglers downstream from you to wait and let you fish first while you work through the run.  For steelhead, its different.  Some meatholes have fence posters, but for most areas of the river, fishing steelhead is more of a hunt and you need cover as much water as you can.  That is where low-holing becomes an issue.
I have trouble calling the vedder an urban river. Kamloops has a higher population than chilliwack, but nobody is calling the Thompson urban. There is totally such a thing as working a run, just not in the crowded spots where there is 40 people shoulder to shoulder.