Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: commecial fishery slowed things down?  (Read 7737 times)

bcguy

Re: commecial fishery slowed things down?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »

Was out around laidlaw this morning, and they were running thick, got my two and was out of there in 20 minutes
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »

ya, its all in run timing, nothing to do with skill!

Dragonspeed, I had my 2 boys with me (seven and eight), they we fishing pike minnows behind us on the shore line.  we were at the top of the bar...where you there?

I'd say the skill is casting into the moving channel of fish... people can cast all day, but if they don't find the sockeye highway, they'll be stuck on a dirt road with nobody on it :)

Top?  Top end of the zoo?  I started at the top end of the zoo and then moved up to the "around the bend" by noon.   My wife was with me.. 5' asian woman in waders.  While in the zoo area she was reluctant to cast as she wasn't casting full length, and the thick of the crowd is NOT where you want to be getting going ;)

Did you see the three guys in a tiny dinghy and AN ELECTRIC MOTOR cross the main flow???  OMFG!!!!

Today, I was up at seabird... the rain kept the casuals away.. tons of space.  Mrs D and I had our 4 in about 2 hours.  Nice folks... I've met a LOT of nice people along every bar I've fished this year, and years past.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »

Canso, I can't speak as to your skill level, but I expect to hook a fish every time I go out!  ;).  I know that sometimes you just cant a fish to bite so saying "its called fishing not hooking" doesnt really apply to a snag fishery like socs...if there in the river, someone will floss one sooner or later. 
not sure what skill level has to do with what I said.
I don't take part in the flossery, but don't have a problem with it.
its great to have an attitude that your bringing fish home every time out.
I think the same way.
but, if you can't call it fishing, then maybe the other side is right.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:09 AM »

Simply put canso, I would not commit to driving 4-5 hours round trip (from N Van to pegleg or beyond) if I didnt expect to catch my limit...thats my expectation for socks and the comi open buggered us last trip.  When I fish coho and springs I also expect I will catch fish, when I go steelheading if I hook a fish a trip, I am pleased with those results.  I have balanced expectations for each fishery/season and a lot of my expectations have to do with my experience and knowledge.  I know how to read a river, I know where the fish are likely to be, I know what they will bite or when appropriate, how to "hook" them...so based on your comment on expectations, I was letting you know what mine were and maybe are reason for having different expectations ;)

Dragonspeed, we we not in the heat of things we choose a more spacious spot to accomodate my boys...didnt hook anything which was disappointing for me but my fishing party overall had a great day on the river regardless!  I have thought that around the bend makes more sense...its mainstem then, pegleg is a channel so up arounf the bend may off access to a greater percentage of the run.  How did you do up there and was it snaggy?  I guess thats were you finally got your fish?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:09 AM »

We ended up aroud the center of this map:

http://tinyurl.com/2744yg4  (google maps)

Taking into account that this pic was taken during VERY low water.  We were near the bottom of the "bird's beak" that you see there.  Much more under water now though.  Had to wade in up to crotch to cast over to the side where they were running. 

Again though, the commie nets meant NO FISH on Saturday morning for ANY of the peeps that I could see up and down the bar...

Cheers!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »

On my way to Kelowna on Saturday I stopped near Hope to floss a couple of sockeye.
It took me all of three casts to limit out.

Yesterday on my way back to Vancouver, I had to work a bit harder for my fish. It took me 5 casts to limit out (same spot).

So yes, dammit, I guess the commercial fishery did slow things down somewhat. :D

p.s. A note to newbies reading this: a shorter leader will catch you more fish in these conditions. Anything longer than the rod you are using is a waste, and actually prevents you from making a solid hookup. With an excessively long leader, by the time you feel the weight of the fish on your line, it's often to late to connect properly.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »

Milo,

You must have been far enough above Chilliwack to not have had the "Commie Void" hit your part of the river yet on Saturday because about 80-100 people didn't connect with ANY fish for about 4-5 hours on Saturday morning... that's more than just "bad luck" ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »

Milo,

You must have been far enough above Chilliwack to not have had the "Commie Void" hit your part of the river yet on Saturday because about 80-100 people didn't connect with ANY fish for about 4-5 hours on Saturday morning... that's more than just "bad luck" ;)

Maybe  early enough? (7:00 AM)  ;)

mattyo

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »

Going crazy this morning near the Patullo bridge. :o. I counted 11 boats downstream of the the Quay, and i would guess maybe 25 more upstream to the Port Mann. I don't know if its just me but the length of their nets seemed VERY long. No way you could drift 2 wide down the river.

square tail

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »

may have slowed things down some what we seen lots of boats out today on the lower and a few on the upper fished at the peg today and was some what of a gong show to say the least. but lots of fun and had to work for my 2 fish limit but they sure were crome and very nice. ;D
the tug is the drug

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 07:35:06 AM »

thinking of fishing this afternoon (tuesday)...love to hear results throughout the day yesterday and this morning....

Squaretail, thanks for your post, may i suggest you put in the length of time  you fished in your reports?  Getting 2 socs in 20min vs 4hrs (or somewhere inbetween) tells very different stories!

thanks,

square tail

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 08:20:27 AM »

sorry about not adding the time was there for about 4 hr hooked a couple others but did not land cheers
the tug is the drug

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »

thanks.

BTW...thats what I call SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »

For those that think the fishing has slowed down. Just looked at the latest sockeye salmon updates from DFO that Rodney posted.  The total run size estimate has now been revised to a whopping 25 million fish- the biggest run of Sockeye since 1913!  :o  Think about that when you have a long dry spell between catching Sockeye on the Fraser.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 05:40:03 PM »

Nets going out again wed/thurs in the fraser, that will slow it for weekend.but loads more coming.