Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How Many Steelhead Have You Caught This Year?

- 3 (15%)
- 1 (5%)
- 2 (10%)
- 2 (10%)
- 2 (10%)
Even more? Care to share?
- 10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: This Year's Steelhead Counts from FWR-New As Of March 11!!!  (Read 15042 times)

Derp

• Tight lines!
Re: This Year's Steelhead Counts from FWR
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 08:09:04 AM »

That must be crazy, someone call the nut house! :o
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

J.G.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »

I have a buddy who cleaning house, been out 4 times landed 5 and lost 1. Pretty crazy stats, and the guy doesn't floss(uses fairly short leader 22"), i fish with him alot and he's clean, but a really good fisherman. Dont know how they do it, he is kind of an expert cus he calls the biologists and finds out what fish like and what they dont, he cures his roe way different with different ingredients(household)I just gotta sit back and learn.. Dont know what it is but it works.

Thats not crazy stats, its good but not crazy, I know of some guys that are local that would put that number to shame 

I know a few fisherman that are regularly into well over 100 steelhead per year on the Vedder. Some years their numbers are over 150. It really helps to be retired........ :D

Before I decided to give the fish a chance ;D, and strictly flyfish, I turned curing roe into a science. I would hit the river with at least 2, sometimes 4, different cures. I could ramble on forever about do's and don'ts. What scents and phermones work etc.........If you are interested in learning more, pick up Scott Haugen's book on roe cures. It is the bible.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 11:51:08 AM by J.G. »

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 08:26:29 PM »

I have a buddy who cleaning house, been out 4 times landed 5 and lost 1. Pretty crazy stats, and the guy doesn't floss(uses fairly short leader 22"), i fish with him alot and he's clean, but a really good fisherman. Dont know how they do it, he is kind of an expert cus he calls the biologists and finds out what fish like and what they dont, he cures his roe way different with different ingredients(household)I just gotta sit back and learn.. Dont know what it is but it works.

Thats not crazy stats, its good but not crazy, I know of some guys that are local that would put that number to shame 

I know a few fisherman that are regularly into well over 100 steelhead per year on the Vedder. Some years their numbers are over 150. It really helps to be retired........ :D

Before I decided to give the fish a chance ;D, and strictly flyfish, I turned curing roe into a science. I would hit the river with at least 2, sometimes 4, different cures. I could ramble on forever about do's and don'ts. What scents and phermones work etc.........If you are interested in learning more, pick up Scott Haugen's book on roe cures. It is the bible.

Good point ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 08:45:24 PM »

you havent seen crazy till uve fished with me

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »

I have the book. I've tried a few cure but never had the confidence to fish any of them hard. I've never landed a fish on anything but straight boraxed roe. Any tips and techniques you could add to that???

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 10:00:47 PM »

all i use is some colouring and borax.
Fish killer 101

tnt

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 11:32:35 AM »

22 fish to the beach so far in 9 trips, dont know how many I have lost though, had a 5 fish day a few days ago though.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 08:24:11 AM »

Does electrofishing count?  If so, put me down for a couple hundred.  If not, then my boat has 42.  Don't get a chance to just go out by myself or with good friends, mainly clients. 

J.G.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 03:07:22 PM »

I have the book. I've tried a few cure but never had the confidence to fish any of them hard. I've never landed a fish on anything but straight boraxed roe. Any tips and techniques you could add to that???

Fish those cures with total confidence......they work!.......... With the clarity of the Vedder this season I would concentrate on scent, then color. As far as scent goes.......try marinating your eggs during the osmosis part of the curing stage. This will let the eggs absorb scent, instead of just having a thin film on the outside that washes off quickly. Smelly Jelly makes a great product. Try some of these scents as I feel they are hard to beat. 90% of all scents I used, were from them. READ THE BOOK!
I only ever used coho eggs for steelhead. Coho are the last fish to spawn, therefore it is more likely steelhead will come across coho eggs before any other types. "Matching the hatch", applies to more than just trout........Coho eggs are also the perfect size and color, and thier skiens are very tough. Also only use eggs from river caught fish. 'Ocean" roe of any type doesn't cut it. ( All you sturgeon fishermen will know what I mean). Steelhead roe will work very well also. But you have to catch that first steelhead on something................

J.G.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 03:49:27 PM »

all i use is some colouring and borax.

I use red procure, on water hardned single eggs CHUM EGGS, 15 eggs per sac with red mesh thats it, all i use

"sac's" work well. The only problem with your eggs is that they don't give off much scent, so you are basically relying only on a steelheads sense of sight. To target both of thier senses try marinating your finished sacs in Smelly Jelly. A couple of different scents, and a couple of different colors of mesh = four completely different baits..........

J.G.

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 03:52:50 PM »

I'm hi-jacking this "numbers thread", but I have a question for all of you...........

What makes up the majority of a steelheads saltwater diet?

I'm not going to say anything more on this subject..........

except...........it's one of the best baits I've ever used, and I've never seen or heard of another fisherman using it...........

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

You are talking about Squid aren't you!! ;D ;D  And if you actually are, then Sorry!! :-[
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »

You are talking about Squid aren't you!! ;D ;D  And if you actually are, then Sorry!! :-[

LOL I remember a certain person that got all bent out of shape about the squid secret last year LMAO
I am gonna bring some canned smoked oysters to try tommorrow, maybe some fish crackers !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 10:15:47 PM »

LOL I remember a certain person that got all bent out of shape about the squid secret last year LMAO
I am gonna bring some canned smoked oysters to try tommorrow, maybe some fish crackers !!

Ya pretty sure I remember reading a thread that got up to about 10 pages on that subject.
Lets just keep it to numbers...after all...it is a "family friendly" site right? ;)

Sandhead

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »

Been out once and I've landed two on the fly. But i'm not fishing lowermainland streams :)
Ain't no HO like a COHO