Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prawn Tails  (Read 2832 times)

silex

• VE7SL
Prawn Tails
« on: February 25, 2006, 12:42:56 PM »

What's the procedure for fastening these critters to the hook? Should they be cured? Will Borax do the same as ProCure??....never fished with these before.

Thanks,

Steve

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Prawn Tails
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 02:01:27 PM »

I just put a little procure on them the night before to color/toughen them up a bit.  Spider thread works good for keeping them on the hook.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 02:59:17 PM »

I like the shell on and head off. Along the blood line and about 3/8" down fron the cut/head end, I pierce into the prawn about half way or till I bury the bend and then pull the hook back out the same side. I then slide the tail up the hook until I can hook my bait loop around one section of shell then I run the hook back into the tail and push it far enough through to get the bend back out the same side again. Then I snug up my bait loop and cast. It works good enough for me.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 03:56:07 PM »

I prefer curing my prawn with a little Kool Aid or procure

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »

anyone ever tried a brine cure to toughen them up? I was thinking of using a Sodium Sulphite solution with boric acid. which is the cure i use for single eggs and it makes them realy tough.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:45 AM »

The guide I fished with in the stamp used pickling salt to suck the water outta them and toughen them up. 

He also had a box of shrimp that were also stained red.  I think the critical part was the salt though  as those shrimp stayed on the hook for ever. 

He simplied used the cocktail shrip rings from safeway.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 07:51:36 PM »

I had a sore mouth for a week after I tried hooking prawn tails, now I prefer to leave the hooks out and just go the ketchup and horseradish sauce instead.  But, to each his own. ;D

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 09:38:12 PM »

i slightly cook mine to toughen them up a bit but they have to be fresh shrimp. i don't fish with prawns. i guess i am one of them poor steelheaders. usually head off and with a little spider thread. usually a small corkie and wool as well.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Stadle

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 07:55:57 PM »

I have always had the best results (bite wise) with plain raw tiger prawn tails. I tip my jigs with them, but also use it drift or float fishing. I cut the tail lenthwise down the middle then cut either a pinkie nail size to tip the jig with or cut a slightly longer piece for drift/float fishing. I push the hook through the end slide it up the hook and slide under the bait loop. It stays on the hook really well.