Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder river on weds 2-15  (Read 1975 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
vedder river on weds 2-15
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:50:52 PM »

Well i wish i had a nice compelling story of fish caught and great times like c.g. but i guess I'm cursed with being the all time conservationist when it comes to steelhead this year....even my wife and daughter said to me today before i left.."leave the fly stuff at home, we want a fish" and then gave me that look...you married guys know what I'm talking about...the look where you know they think your some kind of dip for doing what your doing....

Anyways, i reluctantly left the fly gear at home...though with the wind it wasn't too bad a decision..i hit Fred's for some roe sacks as my buddy said his were frozen and he was gonna be late so that was OK too..also, bought finally a decent steelhead vest..the pioneer i had must have weighted 10 pounds empty..heaviest thing i ever felt...got a nice one and it is sooo much lighter, humped that sucker for almost 8 hours and never felt it...

I fished all upper river as the lower was packed already at 8 30am, (had to drop the daughter off at school this morning so that the earliest i could get up there)....i fished above the ranger, the prison camp, very nice pool in there, down below Allison, (which was packed with cars)...down by Wilson road and ended up at dark sitting on a big rock at doc's hole watching an incredable sunset...man when the sun hits the mountains back there its really something...

I used, a slew of roe bags and when that didn't produce at all switched over to blades and fished them hard...doc's hole probably isn't the best spot for blades but i was pretty whipped by then so was more into just watching the sun go down and the blade flicker in the current....i saw no fish caught, i didn't get even a bump...i did catch a few sticks though which got my skunked a$$ heart beating..but that was all for any excitement...i hit a bunch of spots on the river I've never fished before...what amazes me is how you can find some tiny trail in the middle of nowhere, hike down it with a ton of excitement of finding some new "secret spot" and finding damn near a highway down at the bottom...oh well, was a pretty decent day out...was probably too windy to be swinging a fly, though i always regret not having it with me , i also fished a lot of area's that i couldn't have with a fly rod...

Even the guys at the border are getting to recognize me and are starting to say.."Didn't catch anything again huh?"....damn this is getting old :'( :-\

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: vedder river on weds 2-15
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:09:37 PM »

You know things are bad when the border guards recognize you. ::)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:03:31 PM »

haha, well im skunked as well so i feel your pain. ;D But atleast your wife lets you out, some peoples wifes let them out maybe once or twice a steelhead season. nice report.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:55:07 PM »

thx for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:35:27 PM »

haha, well im skunked as well so i feel your pain. ;D But atleast your wife lets you out, some peoples wifes let them out maybe once or twice a steelhead season.

Only needy women do that.  If my wife was this way, she would be my ex-wife ;D . My wife is my friend not a slave driver. I live in Okanagan but fish every weekend in LM. :)