Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nymphing for steelhead??? how to?  (Read 8093 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
nymphing for steelhead??? how to?
« on: February 12, 2006, 07:47:40 PM »

Ok, at the show i heard some guys talking about nymphing for steelies as being more productive then swinging in many instances...Yesterday, i went down to the local shop and asked them about it..i got a couple indicators, some bb and #3 buckshot lead...got a ten foot leader, cut a foot off and tied on a foot of maxima so the knot was there to stop the buckshot from sliding down the line..put my dry line tip on my Rio and figured i was good to go....

I started off on a run that was probably too quick to be doing this, the indicators i got were the big puff ball ones, i put two big ones on my line as i was told that was better, also i put floatant on them so they were not absorbant...put two #3 buckshots on at the knot and crimped it down..everything should be great...after a couple casts the buckshot is nowhere to be seen or found...the indicators go down quite a bit and float a lot of times when you think they should be down...and most importantly it was horrible to cast...

Now I'm still learning granted but i can toss the 15 foot fast sink tip on the RIO no problem..i can toss the dry and sink tip line on my 6 wt. no problem...but this wasn't not working at all...might have been the big indicators and lack of lead after two casts..but i still thought i should have been able to get the line out better....anyways i quickly realized this wasn't working worth a damn so i switched out and put a sink tip on and went back to swinging...fished HARD today but only got one bump...but checked out some new spots...realized that Borden creek is not to good for the fly where i was and stupid crowded...edited, no need for me to get angry on here...

Sorry for the ramble...can you give me some instructions PLEASE!!!!

OH...and as a p.s. i went into the shop at whatcom road this morning..great guy working there and a really decent little shop. had more of what i was looking for then shops 5 times there size...Told him i've heard enough about it from Rod so stopped in...good guy if you guys are looking for gear or tieing stuff...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 08:04:30 PM by golfman65 »

ko

Re: nymphing for steelhead??? how to?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 08:05:11 PM »

thats reaction fly and tackle best guy to deal with is darryl ive dealt with him for 13 years he really knows his stuff

Ventilator

• Don't Fish with FFG
    • RN System Technologies
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 01:52:02 PM »

i bow to the F.F.G. i wish i was as good a fisherman as he is!!!
Set the hook like you mean it.

stickler

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:20:08 PM »

The lower section of the local winterrun stream is fast, with small bits of pocket water, shale shelves, and big boulders.  It seems the only way to fly fish it is to nympth or bottom bounce with a fly rod. Floating line and split shot. Tug and turf. I also learned form the local vets that you don't use your pretty flies, just yarn in a bait loop due to many hang ups.  It isn't exactly fly fishing "Pure", but it works.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 08:03:16 PM »

The lower section of the local winterrun stream is fast, with small bits of pocket water, shale shelves, and big boulders.  It seems the only way to fly fish it is to nympth or bottom bounce with a fly rod. Floating line and split shot. Tug and turf. I also learned form the local vets that you don't use your pretty flies, just yarn in a bait loop due to many hang ups.  It isn't exactly fly fishing "Pure", but it works.

do you find it hard to cast this set up? do you use a strick indicator?

stickler

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 09:41:30 PM »

Tug and turf, it is not a thing of beauty, but you can get your timing down with practice. I will also add that I only fish this way when tackling pocket water. I also don't use a strike indicator, it is just like bottom bouncing. ;D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:51:59 AM »

Right on another maverick fly chucker. The stereotypical conventions of fly fishing be dammed; success is catching fish. "Two thumbs up there Stickler".
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Jaggers

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:53:06 PM »

Golfman,

Sounds like you are thinking of nymphing like we do in Ontario with yarn eggs.  Here is how our rigs go...if I can explain it right.  Use a 9 foot leader, we use 3x but you might need more here?  I don't know. I personally use the large sized "Thill" indicators, slide it on up the leader.  I don't use the toothpick, just loop the leader back through.  That way you can adjust for different water depths.   At the end of the leader.....we tie in a swivel but make sure to leave a tag piece.  Then you tie on a piece of tipped, probably about 14-18" (most people prefer flouro) but its whatever you want to use.  Now you can attach your pieces of shot to the tag end that you left.   If you can, it helps to tie in a knot to keep the shot from sliding off.  Then just tie in a fly/egg on the end of the tippet. 

Now, the presentations the most important part!!!  First, never, never false cast an indicator rig, especially one of this size.  Just go with the good old roll cast.  A rule of thumb for use is to place the indicator rough 1.5 x the depth of the water, but you can play around with it.  Roll cast the rig no more than a 45 up stream (if we are perpendicular to the river)  As the indicator becomes perpendicular to you, make a mend in the line and continue the dead drift down.  The key to this system is to have the indicator just twitching.  Its meaning that you are down far enough to the bottom and in the zone as we like to call it.  At the end of the drift, the line should be about straight down from you, just swing that rod out in the direction you want to put the fly.

I don't know if this will help out here, I think I will give it a try when I head to the Vedder sometime this week or next....hopefully sooner than later.  On a side note, I went to the Squamish yesterday with a guide service from the area.....I went the big "0" all day, not even a sniff.  I was just wondering if that is kinda normal for this time of year.  I am keeping an open mind to things but I am starting to have my doubts, should have gotten something??? yes no??

Does anyone have any tips on what I should do or where I should go???

Anyways, hope that helps!!! Good luck!

Josh

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 06:30:42 PM »

Golfman,

Sounds like you are thinking of nymphing like we do in Ontario with yarn eggs.  Here is how our rigs go...if I can explain it right.  Use a 9 foot leader, we use 3x but you might need more here?  I don't know. I personally use the large sized "Thill" indicators, slide it on up the leader.  I don't use the toothpick, just loop the leader back through.  That way you can adjust for different water depths.   At the end of the leader.....we tie in a swivel but make sure to leave a tag piece.  Then you tie on a piece of tipped, probably about 14-18" (most people prefer flouro) but its whatever you want to use.  Now you can attach your pieces of shot to the tag end that you left.   If you can, it helps to tie in a knot to keep the shot from sliding off.  Then just tie in a fly/egg on the end of the tippet. 

Now, the presentations the most important part!!!  First, never, never false cast an indicator rig, especially one of this size.  Just go with the good old roll cast.  A rule of thumb for use is to place the indicator rough 1.5 x the depth of the water, but you can play around with it.  Roll cast the rig no more than a 45 up stream (if we are perpendicular to the river)  As the indicator becomes perpendicular to you, make a mend in the line and continue the dead drift down.  The key to this system is to have the indicator just twitching.  Its meaning that you are down far enough to the bottom and in the zone as we like to call it.  At the end of the drift, the line should be about straight down from you, just swing that rod out in the direction you want to put the fly.

I don't know if this will help out here, I think I will give it a try when I head to the Vedder sometime this week or next....hopefully sooner than later.  On a side note, I went to the Squamish yesterday with a guide service from the area.....I went the big "0" all day, not even a sniff.  I was just wondering if that is kinda normal for this time of year.  I am keeping an open mind to things but I am starting to have my doubts, should have gotten something??? yes no??

Josh

Thanks Josh, that's pretty good info. i talked to guys down in b'ham and they told me they fish a similar way, i put on a 9ft leader, (cut a foot off and tied on a foot of maxima, that way the weight stayed by the knot)...probably why the weight came off like immediately was i was false casting it to get the line out further..ok, that makes sense, i don't know if the vedder is a good spot to try with the exception of the slow pools up at allison..got some good info. thanks guys...also Josh, i hit the squamish a week or two earlier, fished it pretty hard as well, no one we talked to or saw got anything..might just be too early, though Rod from here seems to do well when he goes...you might want to talk to him..

here's a pic of the squamish when i was there.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 06:37:24 PM by golfman65 »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 08:19:21 PM »

Rod has mystic ways with that Squamish.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 09:19:51 PM »

Golfman,

Josh

I'll second that one...  Big indicator, with a toothpick but I make my leader longer like 50 percent extra sometimes.  I have luck with all kinds of flys, but san juan worms, prince nymph (and pseudo prince), green rock worm, stone fly ect ect.  The trick is to get a nice dead drift. 

As for the casting, roll casting will work most of the time, but I find if there is space behind you, then make big loose loops and that will help... wear a toque and glasses or you might go home with only one eye and a big goose egg.  Yep, its a good time.  cant wait for summer when there are bugs hatching  :o

Cheers,

Forgot to mention, that I fish the bow river, but they are rainbows too, so I would figure it should work.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:21:33 PM by Jonny 5 »