Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Denmark  (Read 3331 times)

fengyuanfei

Denmark
« on: February 06, 2006, 04:23:18 PM »

Saw the picture in the papers today from Copenhagen...in regard to the protest about the cartoons, first time Denmark makes the international news...although not the way they would like.

Anyway, just hoping Nina is not planning on going to an arab country anytime soon :-X

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Re: Denmark
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »

Sheeesh they make a offensive comic about Mohammed and everyone loses it but they can make offensive comments about other religions and everyone just accepts it. Odd the way it works.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 08:52:48 PM »

Ancient adage "under the hot sun you get a HOTHEAD". Should send them some asperin or valium or something. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:38:17 PM »

No I don’t have any plans to go to any Arab country for a long time  ;D

It is the kids winter holiday soon over here and 3000 families have had to cancel their tickets to Egypt, Tunisia and other Arab countries.

The way I see it, it is not really about the cartoons anymore but about already existing national problems in those countries where the riots have and are occurring. The cartoons just sparked the flame. I am sure most of the rioters have no idea which flag they are even burning or what it stands for. I am not that worried. We haven’t had any incidents up here.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:41:05 PM by Nina »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:07:11 AM »

Usually those 'riots' are fueled and flamed by a few. Most rioter won't even know what the real issue is.
The comic is just an excuse for the few individual to hype up the public.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 01:06:45 AM »

It is the same story anywhere tho. Remember the Stanley Cup riot, I bet 75% of the rioters were there just because it was a chance to destroy something. Politcally incorrect comics have be slung around for year, and some have been about the middle east before, it is only now they're offended. Big FFing deal, they only NEEDED something to be offended about, because everyone knows the war aint gonna last forever.

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 11:23:01 AM »

I absolutely condemn violence as a Christan and so do millions of Muslims around the world. But at some level I can understand where they come from. I am going for a minute to play devils advocate here.

Let's turn the table for a minute. What would we - Christians - say if an Arab news paper would print a cartoon depicting Jesus hanging on a cross that looks like a stealth bomber? We would protest because our religion has been insulted. Pat Robertson,  Van Imp & Co would dedicate entire shows to this
"evil" insult and rant on, as they do every Sunday, how Muslims are the devils religion. The Arab news paper  would then laugh at us and abuse the term "Freedom of Press" and not only reprint the cartoon but actually make it bigger and print it in every single news paper in every Arab Nation. To top it of the Arab David Lettermans and Jay Leno's plus every other third rate stand-up-comedian would make derogatory and racist jokes, as thy always do every night,  about our religion and way of life.

And last but by no means least. Let's imagine that one Arab Nation would have a President like Bush sending his troops on feeble excuses to our countryes to destroy and murder us simply because he has been adviced to do so my his advisers, consisting of religious bigots (Pat Robertson and Van Imp) and the oil industry. These troops would be hailed as heroes and fighting under the banner of "God bless our brave soldiers". But the President would go one step further than that and call it an "infinite" war. But he would go one step further and fill up prisons (Guantanamo Bay,  Abu Ghraib) with Christians, just because they are Christians or have a Christian sounding Name. These prisoners are tortured and insulted every day. The prisoners have to watch how the guards tear out pages of the Bible to clean their bottoms or light cigarettes with it, furthermore you are not permitted to attend to your religious duties and wear your religious symbols. And while all that happens we are made the constant subject of bad jokes, people cuss at us on the streets and our children are harassed in the school and our wives are portrayed as mindless sluts.

Wouldn't we get just a bit angry? Wouldn't our radicals burn buildings and flags?

You bet! Right now our radicals advice Bush to go to war with Iran, some insiders talk openly that it will happen when we celebrate Easter. Pat Robertson, one of the main religious advisers to Bush, is already gleaming with joy and barely can contain himself for the joy of destroying another bulwark of the evil empire.

Sorry, this a rather long post.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 11:30:49 AM by huntwriter »
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 11:34:02 AM »

Very good point Huntwriter. Millions have died over the ages over religion and politics.

ColinB

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 02:50:43 PM »

Very good point Huntwriter. Millions have died over the ages over religion and politics.
And no doubt will continue to do so!!!

Sad but stupid isn't it?

Colin

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 08:08:12 PM »

You are definitely right. It will happen very soon. The big elephant has started moving over the Middle East again and Iran will be under his foot soon.

I've lived and worked in the Middle East for a few years and know the muslims very good. There are thousands of intellectuals in the muslim societies respecting for the other people's religious beliefs and support moderate reactions. Unfortunately CNN and other western media never show that side of the story. We are used to see and believe what the western media tell us and not to explore the roots and causes of these riots.

The reality is that we (as western citizens) are much richer than 30 years ago and they (owners of natural resources) are much poorer. We, north americans, use 35% of the world energy while we are only 7% of the world's population!

This is only one thing behind all these. This is all about the distribution of wealth.

This is sad, but who's gonna change it?

Ciao,

RainbowMan

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 09:06:50 PM »

They call the area (middle east) the cradle of civilisation, sort of scary when you think about it. I for one am no longer religious, or tribal for that matter. That's more civil than taking sides because you disagree how many angels dance on the head of a pin. We haven't evolved much in thousands of years when it comes to religous matters. I appreciate the differant customs that people have with some things like food, music, literature etc. But when religions start saying they know whats best....blessed wars, dark ages, 72 virgins time to them tune out. I have read the bible and went to a catholic school and there was alot about violence and the lord worketh in mysterious ways. Time we respected each other as human beings, and get rid of the tribal yoke. Marry someone from outside the tribe to water down the mix. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 11:58:57 PM »

Holly leaders do not start wars.
Men use religion beliefs as an excuse to work out their differences.