Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winds A Howling In The Valley, Jan 28  (Read 3435 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Winds A Howling In The Valley, Jan 28
« on: January 28, 2006, 10:21:44 AM »

Slipped out this morning more for a drive than anything else and found the river visibility not the best but fishable. We had some rain last night that would have been pounding down on the clay banks up river I presume. Conditions may improve later as the rain stopped early this am.

The main problem that made fishing very difficult was to try to get a proper drift with the winds the strongest I have seen this year. The float would go up stream in a slow piece of water. Watched to see if there was any action in the "hot spot" while I tied up some roe bags , lots of anglers out but most of them looking pretty forlorn in the gale. ::)

I tried the KE and "Root Run" for about 15 minutes as no one was around but gave up and looked for a more pleasant place to be, like Tim Hortons. ;D ;D

Maybe up river may have been better wind wise and I am sure reports will filter in later today.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Winds A Howling In The Valley, Jan 28
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 10:32:05 AM »

lol thax for the update
weeeeeeeeeow!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:39:27 AM »

Just called Trout Slayer, he hooked a big buck, had him on for a few minutes but then it spat the hook. Claims he felt he had the hook set well but i guess not. I'm sure he'll report when he gets home.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 11:56:41 AM »

The wind woke me up this morning and I laid in bed and started chuckling, knowing Chrome Mykiss and Trout Slayer were having a "blast" on the river. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 01:08:25 PM »

Thank goodness I didn't head out this morning. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »

Good move FA.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:32:12 PM »

What a nice day it was to be on the river, should have stayed home or brought my kite along. :(
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 04:51:50 PM »

Buckeye and I got out for all of a half a hour this afternoon. The trip had to be short as I had to be home to see Toronto roll over Montreal and Buckeye had a supper engagement.

The wind had died down some, still some heavy rain showers but the water was improved from this morning. All we found was a nice drennan that Buckeye picked up off the bottom. It had all the terminal gear as well still attached so Buckeye had himself, hook, line and sinker as well as the drennan. ;D ;D

We saw no fish in our short trip and when I stopped in at Fred's to get my rod tip repaired there had been no fish weighed in today. ???

Saw cohokid as we left the river and I believe he said they had seen nothing either. I imagine he will give us an update on his return home.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »

Chris, i was wondering. Do you keep a log of your fishing outings? Steelhead, or salmon season? I just started one for this years steelhead season, hopefully i'll be able to mark some fish down in it (only one hookup so far). If you have some from years past it would be cool to graph fished hooked, landed, and sofort through out a few years.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 06:08:32 PM »

just got back, fish upper, and lower today, nothing upper, fished the hole were i got hooked one yesterday.....nothin. Went lower river, sawy chris, fished a little I then talked chis and buckeye for 5 min or so, then they left i i took there run. to much wind. I went down a little further to look for less wind and found a small bend with some tree then kinda kept me out of the wind. Fished it for a while then the float went under, there was a bit of slack line from the wind so i didnt get a very good set, it was over in about 3 seconds. ;D o well, heading out tommorow agian.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »

Chris, i was wondering. Do you keep a log of your fishing outings? Steelhead, or salmon season? I just started one for this years steelhead season, hopefully i'll be able to mark some fish down in it (only one hookup so far). If you have some from years past it would be cool to graph fished hooked, landed, and sofort through out a few years.
I use to, actually I started doing it in 1958 but have failed to do a good job of it the last few years.

goblin59

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 06:24:05 PM »

First time out this year..... coulda picked a better day!! ::) Started first light at Tamahi, (my buddies favorite spot) water was pretty murked up with only about 6-8 inches of visibility. Fished there for 2 hours without a bump. The wind seemed to have died down a bit up there, but was still howling when we got down lower. Fished the train bridge area for awhile with the same results.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 07:03:30 PM »

Worst weather I've ever fished in. Driving on the freeway this morning was nuts, cars littered in ditches from the wind and rain. Got to spot I have had multiple hook ups last week and allready see a car there. Wait for some light and let the games begin. Fished with shrimp and roe bags to no avail then my buddy Carlo and his dad show up. They fish down and then back up to the top of the run. While they are at the top my float is buried and I make the nicest hookset of the season. Soon I feel big headshakes and an explosion of chrome comes from the water. I would say a 13-14lbs buck is now rolling its way back to the Fraser with me letting it take line, I start to gain some line and poof everything fly's towards my direction with no fish. I was madder then a hornet, I thought for sure I had this fish in control. The 5 or 6 guys lined up across from me seemed to snicker when I lost the fish. Didn't matter, atleast I hooked one unlike all of them. Fished a while later then went to lunch. Came back to same run and couldnt connect with another fish so walked down river. Saw an american visitor get a 10lbs hatchery doe on his first cast. I fished and talked with him for a bit then started my walk back to the car. On the walk I noticed a old fella in the brush with no beach and a fish on. I offered my assistance and brought a 8lbs wild doe to hand. I asked if he wanted a picture but he didn't so I let her go back home.

After today I am now 2 for 7 hooked for the season and all within 1 week. Not too bad for 3 days out. ;D But have learned to sharpen my hook more often.

I believe not as many fish were hooked today because of the insanse mass of people out today and they were spooked. :P

I'll probably be back out Monday or Tuesday depending on the weather and continue the rolling to my first hatchery of the season. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 07:07:17 PM by Trout Slayer »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 07:08:53 PM »

Nice report. Too bad you did not land Walter, you maybe would have knocked the Master off the board if you are entered in the derby. ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »

I was out today as well, I would have to say that today was the second worst conditions I have ever fished on!!  But I did see 7 hooked and landed today, so I was in the right spots, just not the right side of the river!!  I had a few takes in between wind bursts, but all that came back was a torn roe bag!!  SO, if I can get this chill out of me, I might head back up tomorrow!!  Think that I may have caught something today!!  A FRICKEN COLD!! ::) :D :D  But, at least the Nucks won and the Laughs lost, so the day didn't turn aout that bad at all!! ;) ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!