Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A surprise afternoon of fishing with Chris!! January 21st  (Read 1979 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
A surprise afternoon of fishing with Chris!! January 21st
« on: January 21, 2006, 06:48:08 PM »

Well, I don't have time for a long report right now, so I will get you a weekend report when I get back from fishing tomorrow!!  The short story goes like this! ;)
  Tried a nice piece of water to start the day, with only a couple of guys around.  Water looked good, real nice vis, almost to much for what I have gotten used to.  But, about 15 min in,  float down, fish on!!  Felt pretty good, that is until the Steely spit the hook!!
  Well, let's see if we can get him to hit again.  I regear and about 10 min later, float down again, set the hook, feels good, headshakes, then gone again!! ???  Didn't hit anything else for a couple hrs, then who walks in but Chris Gadsen!!  A pleasent surprise to say the least.  We chat for a while, and wind up talking each other into trying another run.  Was sure nice to be fishing with a class act such as Chris!! ;D ;D
 Well, we get to the other run on the lower, and see one hooked and landed on the other side of the river, about a 10 lb hatchery Doe.  Chris had his camera out and filmed the fight, then as the camera is running, I'm finally geared up, make a cast out, and Bam, into another!!!  But holy crap, after a headshake or two, this one is gone as well!!  Just not my day for landing Steelies!!  Think that Chris is to blame on this one, he had me nervous with that darn camera out!!!
  Anyhow, nothing else for the rest of the day other tan a few taps!! :)  Was a real niceday on the river.  Was also nice fishing with you for the first time Chris!!
  Alwaysfishin came up the trail to meet us, so we all talked about our days for a bit!!  After that Chris had to take off to go watch the Laugh game!!!  OUCH!!!!  Alwaysfishin rolled one as well.  Chris lost one too!!!!!  But I'll let him tell you about that.  All I have time for tonight, I'll give up part 2 tomorrow!! :D :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:11:47 PM by Rodney »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: A surprise afternoon of fishing with Chris!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »

I bet i know "around" where you guys were fishing too ::) nice to hear you got to feel some headshakes atleast hopefully ill be able to add to your report tommorow with a fish of my own. 8) Just incase people didnt know its ment to snow in the whack tommorow so it should be a true day of steelheading. :P
[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 08:50:29 PM »

I decided to head out on the river today with my video camera to try and get some stock footage for our new fishing show "Fishing the West" that may be as close as your computer one day. ;D ;D

I hit the river just at daylight, in no hurry as did not want to get in the way of the weekend fisherman as I was just interested in filming for the most part. Just as I get to the river the fellow that broke his rod this week is into a fish. It does the same thing as it did earlier in the week and into the "Broken Rod Log Jam". Once again the angler is into some branch and the log that lead to the demise of his rod.

His partner is able to get the line off the obstacles without any damage to the equipment but by this time the fish has gone. I have filmed the action, good footage. ;D

I move to another run and run see Trout Slayer, fishforever, and 3 other anglers working the run. I sip my Tims, visit and wait for one of them to get into a fish. I must have been a jinx with the camera as nothing happens. 3 of the anglers leave so I make a few casts to no avail as well.

I move down a run and after a few casts I am briefly into a fish that promply falls off spoiling my hook land ratio for the year as it moved to 9 for 10.

I decide to go for a late breakfast at Woody's and then head out to do some exploring. That is when I run into Big Steel and he has told you the story from then on. It is good for a change to finally write a short journal as some readers will be pleased to see. :D

One thing when I am filming the fellow on the other side with his fish that Big Steel related about Big Steel's line is in the frame. When he hooks the fish he mentioned in his report you can see the line jerking as the steelhead is pulling as clear as can be. Interesting shot it is, too bad he did not keep the steelhead on as it is hard to be rolling when a fish actually bites. A lot of TV fishing shows I believe do some editing to make out they are capturing the actually bite. Am making BS a copy so he can relive the moment. ;D

Even though I did not land a fish during the day was another very enjoyable outing fishing with Big Steel. As well meeting Stryker 07 earlier in the day and on the way out seeing allwaysfishing and Lew.

I must say it has been a real plus since I joined FWR 3 years ago as I have meet so many great anglers over that period of time. I get criticized as I have mentioned before by some for my postings and giving out information. Once again to me this is not worth worrying about because of all the wonderful people I have meet through FWR.

These are people like me that are concerned about protecting the environment, the education of our young anglers, the well being of our fish stocks, numerous fishing issues and also help when they can with our cleanups.

Thanks for being there FWR, you have made my retirement years much more enjoyable except maybe tonight when the Leafs were not rolling, rolling, rolling right along   :'( :'( :'( At least the Maple Leaf drennan has been a winner this past week. ;D ;D ;D

meca_357

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 09:32:55 PM »

Thanks for being there FWR, you have made my retirement years much more enjoyable except maybe tonight when the Leafs were not rolling, rolling, rolling right along   :'( :'( :'( At least the Maple Leaf drennan has been a winner this past week. ;D ;D ;D

Is it just me, or could it be a coincidence, with your fish today and the leafs???
Actually nvm...silly me... you've actually been successful this season :o :P....

allwaysfishin

Re: A surprise afternoon of fishing with Chris!! January 21st
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 07:46:22 AM »

I have had no time to post a report for the 21st, fished all weekend... just got home hehehe. Saturday mornin arrived on the river about 8:30 to meet up with Rob.l , who i had the pleasure of dealing with over the counter at berry's for the past few years. We have always talked about getting out for some fishing but hadn't till today. We met on the lower in a spot that, though most guys seem to walk right by it, this small run has produced some nice fish for me this year. I give rob the low down on my rig and a few pointers and we get to fishing. Rob is still waiting for his first ever steelhead, and seems to be still wondering if they are indeed a myth LOL.
On my fourth cast, my tasty tiger prawn is smashed and my balsa pencil float disappears in 2 ft of water. I set the hook.... strong headshakes, the steelhead breaks water and ...... gone, expertly spitting the hook. we fished the run hard for the next few hours, cycling through all the goodies to try to entice another strike. We both have the float dip a few times but come up empty. We tried a few other spots with no luck other than a few taps. After Rob called it a day, we agreed to meet at daybreak on the same little run the next day.
I head off to another little slot that has produced fish for me but the river has dropped and this slot is no longer what it was. I decide to go for a stroll down the vedder dyke, starting at the crossing, in search of some new water for the next days adventure. Hoping to bump into some FWR members, I was not disappointed. Chris and B.S. came puffing up the trail and we had a pleasant walk back to the parking lot, relating the days events. I hit my little run on the lower once again before dark, had a couple good tugs but no hooksets.
stayed the night at a local motel..... just can't get enough of this steelhead addiction hehehe