Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RE TOP ROD ????  (Read 1899 times)

deerhunter74

RE TOP ROD ????
« on: January 19, 2006, 06:25:25 PM »

Just curiouse what everyones definition of top rod is? what  are the requirements for this honor?I ask because recently I am hearing the term used quite often on this site and on the local news,to me a top rod is the best of the best combining knowledge, ethics, success and is humble with their successe's.I just think the term is to easily thrown around and while at the same time I know there are several individuals who more than earn the right to be called top rods but is it really that important? If you ask some of the legitimate top rods on the rivers they would probably say it is nice to be looked upon as top rod but do not think it to be that important.
             It just seems to me that even fishing has become a competition for some and have maybe lost site of what it should really be about.

winter steel

Re: RE TOP ROD ????
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 06:33:15 PM »

Deerhunter, I couldn't agree with you more in regards to the definition of a top rod. However, I would say that most "top rods" really do know what fishing is about and care more about the resource than a so called title. Tight lines, and does anybody know how to turn off the taps ??? Winter Steel.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »

being one of the guys who has been posting some success stories this steelhead season, I understand what your getting at with your comments. I have never considered myself a so called "top rod" but there are those guys, 99 % of them retired, who have put hours and hours of thier lives into fishing and have gained a lifetime of experience that they are able to pass on to the next generation of anglers. I see this with guys like Chris G. , lew C. , Gwynn J., good ol toothpick tom and many more.... guys who you hear about long before you ever meet them.
They are the true top rods, the rest of us have many years and many miles of river to cover before someone may give us that esteemed title.

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 08:19:28 PM »

A true top rod.....Chris Gadsen.....hands down 8)
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:28:03 PM »

couldn't agree with you more. I too find that the term top rod is too easily given to those that think they know it all. I fish for the relaxation, too unwind, forget about work and the stresses that life brings.And I do agree that Chris G is a top rod

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 09:46:10 PM »

The term "Top Rod" means alot of different things to different people. (And we are not talking about Rodney here ). To me it means he is among the top 10% of the fishing fraternity, someone who knows what they're doing, able to catch fish in all sorts of water conditions, knowledgeable in reading water and different techniques and being able to adapt those techniques to match corresponding water conditions.

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »

And doesnt mind "sharing"info...... 8)
Please honey can i go fishing now???