Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short Floating?  (Read 2037 times)

silex

• VE7SL
Short Floating?
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:35:20 PM »

I've always been told / taught that most steelhead lay close to the bottom and as such have always adjusted my float so that I can feel the odd bottom 'tickle' while drifting. Over the past few seasons I've seen a lot more guys 'short floating'. I know their gear is nowhere near the bottom yet these guys catch plenty of fish.
What is the general concensus on fish positioning themselves relative to the river bed? It seems that a good proportion of steelhead either don't do that or are active enough to rise to an overhead offering.

Steve

ahans

• I'm a llama!
Re: Short Floating?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 03:45:42 PM »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »

My opinion is that steelhead does like hugging the bottom. Steelhead like most fish can only see straight and up; they cannot look down. Therefore it is not essential that your rig is bouncing off the bottom. Short floating wil present your bait/lure within the fish's area of vision.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 03:53:36 PM »

IMO another advantage of short floating is you get a more natural drift. 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 10:52:51 PM »

i totally agree, i short float but i also use shot, spaced up from my swivel, and shorter, 12 inch leaders, little longer for blades. i estimate the depth and adjust , hoping to achieve a 1 foot or so distance from my bottom shot and the bottom. seems to work well for me, my numbers over the years have gone up considerably using this method. I agree that it presents your offering with a more natural drift.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 07:13:05 AM »

just remember that the bigger they are the farther their eyes are off the bottom and fish look up before they look down.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 07:46:04 AM »

good article rod
weeeeeeeeeow!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:07:32 AM »

Only place I see a short fall in short floating is in low vis/colored water.  Steelhead will move for a presentation if they are in the mood so in clear water, drifting close to where they lay is less important than when the vis is under a foot. 

Keep in mind too that if you are drifting too deep and snagging lots you will be retieing lots too so your fishing time goes down....for a guy like my dad who seems to be all thumbs, retieing is a pain in the my friend and a large time waster.