Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well, post #800, could only mean 1 thing!!  (Read 7680 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Well, post #800, could only mean 1 thing!!
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:29:12 PM »

As I can see from Chris's report, some of you are asking for #800, well, here is it!!  Biff Big Fisher and I made it out to the river just after first light, headed out to a run on the lower that we had fished yesterday with no success.  Water looked good as we were walking to the head of the run, then I saw this one little section that I liked more then the rest, and told Big Fisher that spot is a nice one.  Well Biff and Big Fisher got up in front of me while i was scanning the river, so I slowed and let them get out some casts, besides I had to rig up anyways.  The night before I had snagged on an under water branch and hadn't felt like re-tying right there, so I took my time and made sure that all the knots were perfect this morning.  As I was tying up, I was thinking about what to start with, leaning towards one of my beautiful roe sacks!!  So on it went.  Biff and bigfisher had already started moving down a bit at that point, so, I made a cast and walked down as I was drifting to create some room.  Then a couple of more, but I wasn't feeling the drift,  I figured that I might as well, make a few adjustments and there that felt much better.  So, now that I felt what was going on with the drift, I make another cast and slowly walk down with the drift, I was pretty much at the spot that I pointed at earlier, and just as I thought that, I felt a tap.  I resisted the urge to set the hook and instead, thumbed the spool to bring the float closer to the cut bank and what do you know, another tap, only harder and the balsa float stops for a second, this time, just as I make a hard hookset the float goes under and starts heading out with massive headshakes!!!  Yeah baby, "FISH ON" I yell!!  What a rush!! ;D ;D  That has got to be the best feeling in the world!! ;D
  So now the fish, which I haven't seen yet is holding about 25 feet of shore and I don't what to force it, so I just let it sit there with some more strong headshakes.  Still haven't seen it, so for a second I think that it might be one of those darn chums, like the one that Chris got not so long ago.  I only thought that for a second because just after that the beauty chrome streak comes to the surface and starts splashing around, Awwww STEALHEAD!!  So after a few runs and some more slashing, she is done and on her side.  Biff goes and takes a look to confirm what I already suspected.  Hatchery!!  So up she comes!!  I am done after about 20 min of fishing!! From then on I did a lot of napping and took the boys to the runs they wanted.  Tried a few more, Lickmen area, and a mid river spot, then back down to the peach rd area to finish the day, but nothing else!!
  So, here are some pics of my first hatchery of 2006!!  Hopefully not my last!!  She weighed 11.5 lbs.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 06:04:04 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: Well, post #800, could only mean 1 thing!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »

nice scoop BS....leave a few for Feb huh....;)))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »

Nice FISH, great to here, still have to get my first of the season only been out 2 times. ;D

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »

Way to go Big Steel, nice fish. Over all how were the water conditions today?

scottm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:57:45 PM »

Wow what a fish i can hardly wait to hit the flow excellent report.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 07:10:20 PM »

Nicely done BS

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 07:13:12 PM »

The water was slowly dropping and was perfect color!!  But, it is supposed to be warm for the next couple of days with rain, so hopefully, this wasn't my last trip for a while!! ;) ;)  I'm sure that Chris will keep us posted!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »

Very well done and a lovely looking steelhead of which I got several good looks at from  across the river. ;D ;D I hope you did not mind me giving a bit of a teaser to the forum on my earlier post that I had seen a fish caught. Some of them guessed it was you with the fish right away.

It is good to have #8OO post now out of the way so you will not lose sleep at night not being able to post on FWR. ;D  ;D

I was wondering who you had with you, good work taking them out for a trip and it is too bad they did not find a fish each as well. I donot think there was all that many fish taken today as yours was the only one that I saw in "our area" ;D today.

Thanks for an excellent #800 post well worth waiting for. ;D ;D

Must get away from the forum as I have to do the derby story for the Chilliwack Progress tonight and have supper, it smells like steelhead. ;D ;D Hope you enjoy your fresh fish as well. Eat your heart out Rodney. ;D ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »

Thanks Chris, I didn't mind the teaser at all!!  It just kept some waiting, which was good!! ;D ;D  I didn't know if you knew that was me on the other side there, but I saw the "make me laughs" hat and had to yelll at ya!!  We thought that you might be thinking "who is that Yahoo yelling at me!!"  But it was a nice day, actually an awesome day!!  I am back!!  Just like a thought that I might be!!  Confidence!!  One of the most important things you can have on the river.  You know, other than your rod and reel, and gear!!!! ;D ;D

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 07:39:32 PM »

Great report BS. Congrats on the chromer. Many more to come I'm sure. 8)

Cheers,
                                            Randog

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 07:47:56 PM »

nice report bs. The fish looks better in the pics then in the bag in the back of your truck. Oh ya thanks for stopping by work to rub it in. >:( :'( .We will have to hit those runs on the weekend. I got my prawns cured and waiting for a bite.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 08:33:22 PM »

Thanks Chris, I didn't mind the teaser at all!!  It just kept some waiting, which was good!! ;D ;D  I didn't know if you knew that was me on the other side there, but I saw the "make me laughs" hat and had to yelll at ya!!  We thought that you might be thinking "who is that Yahoo yelling at me!!"  But it was a nice day, actually an awesome day!!  I am back!!  Just like a thought that I might be!!  Confidence!!  One of the most important things you can have on the river.  You know, other than your rod and reel, and gear!!!! ;D ;D
I saw you long before you saw me, your green vest, sunglasses on your hat, colour of your waders gave you away as I saw you packing your fish up where you caught it.  ;D ;D You must rememember us old guys are very observant we do not miss much out on the flow. :D :D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »

Nice fish,way to go Big Steel ;).

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 08:39:24 PM »

Way to go big steel, that is a great fish!!   Welcome back to the forum.
Fish on!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 08:42:25 PM »

Way to go big steel, that is a great fish!!   Welcome back to the forum.
Thanks Bug Pumper and Big T.  I think that I said that I wouldn't post again until I got another with pics because it would keep me very persistent!!  We all know how much I like to talk!! ::)  I had to use what I could!! ;) :D