Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: January 1, 2006 Vedder River Derby, Complete Results  (Read 9148 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: January 1, 2006 Vedder River Derby, Complete Results
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »

Congrats chris...nice fish
weeeeeeeeeow!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 09:14:06 PM »

On arriving at the spot I want to fish I park near a dwelling so as to maybe discourage one of those car break in guys.

I see a few anglers in the area as I fish spot number 1. Most anglers I guess are up river where it seems most of the fish are being caught.  Spot number 1 yeilds 0. Head for spot #2, 5 minutes down the trail, meet a fellow and he says he has heard of one fish taken somewhere in the vacinity. Arriving at spot #2 I see two anglers fishing there. They seem to be fence posting in so try above and below them, nothing.

See Brandon down in the fence run and I work the island just above him and something takes the Maple Leaf drennan float down. I motion to Brandon I had a take of something. Whatever it is it will not come back, will try it on the way back.

Brandon has left his spot so I try it and get buried 2 times but on bury number 3 I find it is only a snag grabbing my prawn tail offering. I break off but retain the drennan. ;D I head down to spots #3, 4, 5 , 6, and 7 but nothing not even a snag. I check the watch, I have 1 hour 30 minutes of fishing time left. Before heading back upstream I talk to Jon on the other side of the river he says he has missed 1 and there is 4 weighed in so far. That sound pretty poor so what are my chances I begin to wonder if only 4 fish for 300 or so fishers.

On the walk up back to spot #2 phone home, phone the Master to see if he is on the river but he is too busy to talk as he is trap shooting. Phone CEJ and his partner beak o begone who has just had a fish chase his prawn tail right to the beach while reeling in. He then misses it twice after that. Looks like is name fits him perfectly. ;D ;D

I arrive at spot number 2A (Brandon's spot) and find that darn snag again. This time everything including the drennan is gone. :'( >:( I retie up quickly as it is around 12:50. I leave the snag spot and head to were I though I had maybe missed a fish on the way down. I work through it and then work up again but nothing.

The tail section of the prawn tail has fallen off, hence it spins a bit and is twisting the line under the drennan and it catchs the toothpick on some casts so the float goes downstream on a bit of an angle. Not good. Just before I am ready to head out, back to the truck the float is going downstream near the drop off, not far off shore. Line caught under the float again, not a good drift. But then something triggers my senses, it is acting funny, part under but not completly, hard to describe to be honest. I strike, yes there he is I say as the fish realizes it is hooked and starts to take line. I see the drennan is cocked sideways as it rips through the water, hope this will not in some way break the line. I signal to Jon below me in the next run that I have one on but I am sure he has already seen it. Experienced anglers are always watching, not wanting to miss anything. ;D Sometime that can cost you if you are looking away at the time of a take, it has happened to me too ::)

The fish fights well and finally the float corrects itself and about the same time I see it is a hatchery, is it a derby contender I wonder as I have no idea what the largest one is. The last report from Jon was 4 so maybe I will have a chance at a prize. The fish tires and I try to pull it up on the riffle so I can get it on its side. The water is too deep and the fish retains her balance and swims up the riffle right under my feet, I have to do some fancy dancing so it does not tangle in my feet. I can see it is hooked fairly well but you never know. Thats what makes it a challange to land these wonderful gamefish from trying to find them in the first place then hook one and then actually land it.

I ease the hen fish back into the deeper water and repeat the process and this time I find some shallower parts of the riffle and she flips over to her side this time where I am able to grab her around the head and take her to the gravel bar. The time is 1:04. Time to mark the license, a snap of the fish and a 10 minute walk back to the vehicle.

I arrive at the derby headquaters with 10 minutes to spare and find there is 12 other fish now and I am no where near the top but I am more than satisfied to have caught one on derby day.

I receive congratulations from many and good natured ribbing from others. Gwyn has nothing, Dale is no where to be seen so I guess he got nothing. ;D Thats what happens if you catch too many before derby day. ;D ;D  I am reminded by someone Gwyn will be buying me that dinner for 4 or is it 6. ;D Actually in the excitment I had forgot about that. I am told Martin who went with Gwyn was into 5 including a keeper. I guess Gwyn is a better guide than fisherman. ;D

Sandy weighs my fish at 10 pounds 2 ounces and Lew snaps a picture of the happy angler. Maxine my wife comes too to snap a picture or two for the family records.

I am approached by Bruce Bishop who got the Kingfish that is good 3 pounds bigger than mine. As I am doing the story for the Chilliwack Progress I interview him and get some good info. Last year he got the smallest steelhead the only hatchery he has caught in the derby after about 30 trys. Now a year later he gets the Kingfish. He tells me he got it on his second cast of the day and did not start fishing until around 9:30. That proves you can catch a fish any time of the day as I did too.

The prize presentations take place and I am tied for 6th as 5 of the fish were in the 10 pound range.
I choose a fishing vest and I am ribbed that it is too small for me. One for the grandchildren I tell them.

I was very pleased to meet a number of new and old members from FWR including birdman and his dad. It is just great to see dads like birdman's father taking their young people fishing. He is so keen about fishing as his posts show and I am sure he will become an excellent fisherman in the years ahead if he isn't already one. Of course meeting my opponent from Sport Chat, Big Steel was another highlight of the day. I am Rolling, rolling rolling right along ;D ;D ;D now BS and FA. ;D

I snap some pictures of trhe winner to go with the article, finally some excellent food from the clubhouse kitchen that Bill and others had cooked. It sure tasted good after going all day on that muffin and coffee. Personally the last 24 hours was a good way to end 2005 and greet 2006 with some good times with family and all the good people we meet from FWR and other fishing forums. To me those are more rewarding than catching that derby fish today althought it sort of makes up for the 3 I lost 2 derbies ago.

That concludes another successful derby with the proceeds going to help preserve fish habitat, thanks to all that helped out including those that supported the derby committee by entering it. Some times derbies like this take flack from some anglers but the way I look at it these are people that are doing things that will help our fish in the future and preserve fishing opportunities for us and our chidren to enjoy the sport of fishing. Without these people that really care about our environment and all the life that live in it, big buisness and in some cases big government will destroy more than they have already.

Bedtime now as I think I have that steelhead itch now, see you tomorrow morning at the place I posted the picture of where I caught the fish at today. Or did I catch it there, of course I did as fisherman never lie do they. ;D ;D  ;D

Happy New Year to all
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:48:02 AM by chris gadsden »

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 10:01:12 PM »

Nice fish and enjoyable read as always!!  ;D

Well done!!  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 10:24:22 PM »

Congrats on the Steel Chris! Once again a spectacular read as well. I was out today,but did not enter th derby. I saw a total of three landed, as well as hearing of a few more. This next week should be good!

Leaping Steely

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
derby day waters
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 10:52:05 PM »

the waters at the ranger run were pretty high but some what good visibility. not very many fish are around yet though. It is pretty much the same behind the on the way. nice water  ;D
small fish in a big river

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
Re: derby day waters
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 11:54:26 PM »

thanks for the report keep em comin
crab cakes

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 07:26:31 AM »

Does anyone know where the majority of the fish where caught?
The Bigger The Better!

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 10:07:32 AM »

Beakobegone. We all miss a few fish without them coming back. Actually, I don't know how that fish didn't hook itself. I was moving downstream and reeling in when I felt something, I figured I touched a rock on the way in. I looked and here's a big boil, this fish has followed the prawn into about 1 foot of water and it grabs the bait, I pull and yank it away from what could have been my chance at fame, my crowning glory but no, I'm still a loser... My name is Bederko by the way. It really was a great day of fishing and visiting. We were at the clubhouse when Chris strutted in, blood on his hands and chest out with his fish! I think he felt the love as almost everyone there knew him and was offering congratulations. We had a good time sitting around chatting and meeting or at least recognizing alot of the guys from here (Birdman, Pistol Pete, Buck, Big Steel and SeaRun). Just thought I'd give another little derby story. Ken Edmonston is one of the coffee shop locals who fishes all the time, he was out and weighed in a fish, about 9 pounds I think. He was just walking along the river headed to his next spot when he thought he saw a boil which looked like a fish. Not knowing what kind of fish, he flipped a cast into the shallow water and the rest is history. Proves that you always need to have your eyes and ears open when you're on the river...

2:40 - Long time no see, I guess I might see you at the cleanup? You and CEJ and I should go for a fish sometime...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 11:16:41 AM »

Does anyone know where the majority of the fish where caught?
  Majority I would say were upper river, we saw 3 and hooked 1, so it would be as good a place as any. 
BTW Why am I only at 793 posts now, someone erased some!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2006, 11:20:42 AM »

We felt sorry for you, don't want to wait until April to see you posting again, so... ;)

Usually some threads that are over a few weeks old and irrelevant (such as, river condition on a specific day, etc) are taken off the website to open up more free space. :)

Hey, look who's this month's fishy shot? :o

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2006, 11:57:19 AM »

I fished the ranger, limit hole and peach without any success. I saw 2 hooked on the upper but they both broke free.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »

Wow, good job Chris, you really know how to fish!
The Bigger The Better!

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2006, 02:54:38 PM »

Beakobegone. We all miss a few fish without them coming back. Actually, I don't know how that fish didn't hook itself. I was moving downstream and reeling in when I felt something, I figured I touched a rock on the way in. I looked and here's a big boil, this fish has followed the prawn into about 1 foot of water and it grabs the bait, I pull and yank it away from what could have been my chance at fame, my crowning glory but no, I'm still a loser... My name is Bederko by the way. It really was a great day of fishing and visiting. We were at the clubhouse when Chris strutted in, blood on his hands and chest out with his fish! I think he felt the love as almost everyone there knew him and was offering congratulations. We had a good time sitting around chatting and meeting or at least recognizing alot of the guys from here (Birdman, Pistol Pete, Buck, Big Steel and SeaRun). Just thought I'd give another little derby story. Ken Edmonston is one of the coffee shop locals who fishes all the time, he was out and weighed in a fish, about 9 pounds I think. He was just walking along the river headed to his next spot when he thought he saw a boil which looked like a fish. Not knowing what kind of fish, he flipped a cast into the shallow water and the rest is history. Proves that you always need to have your eyes and ears open when you're on the river...

2:40 - Long time no see, I guess I might see you at the cleanup? You and CEJ and I should go for a fish sometime...

Plan to be at the cleanup yup! Sure'd enjoy a fishing trip!! I think it's harder to get dads with kid's schedules to match for an outing over actually hooking one!! Let's put that to the test and soon.  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2006, 03:11:19 PM »

We'd better go soon. If your pops can catch one in the derby, they must be jumping on the beach!  ;) ;)
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

Hey, look who's this month's fishy shot? :o
What are you talking about??  I haven't seen it yet!!
OK I saw it!!  To what do I owe this honor?? :-[ :D  Thanks!!  Also, what you have no faith in me??  I'm pretty sure i was going to get one iin the next day or so!! ::) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 06:43:03 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!