Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: January 1, 2006 Vedder River Derby, Complete Results  (Read 9145 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
January 1, 2006 Vedder River Derby, Complete Results
« on: January 01, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »

Well the 62th annual Boxing Day Derby that turned to the First of January derby was well worth the wait as the conditions were perfect water and weather wise for the 308 entrants. 13 fish were brought to the scales when the derby ended at 2 pm.

Last year Bruce Bishop won the smallest fish trophy and this year he moved up a number of rungs right up to the top taking home the Ferguson and Furnell pepetual trophy with his 13 pound 6 ounce   buck. Bishop caught the derby winner around 9:30 am on a green and white wool tie with a roe sack. He was fishing  mid river.

Other winners

2nd place,  Haley Johnson, 11 pounds 9 ounces
      3rd place, Kevin Joinson, 11 pounds
       4th place, Ian Cameron,10 pounds 6 ounces
        5th, place Ken Charles, 10 pounds 5 ounces

First fish weighed in Travis Heathman 10 pounds 15 ounces at 8:35  one hour and one minute before Wade Gienow who had the second fish brought in, 9 pounds 15 ounces.

Heaviest by a club member, Martin Fraser, 9 pounds  11 ounces

Smallest fish, Lars Nilsson, 6 pounds

Hidden Weight, Ken Edmondson, 8 pounds, 11 ounces. 5 ounces off the hidden weight.

Other fish caught
                          Jon Clingwall, 10 pounds 2 ounces
                          Chris Gadsden, 10 pounds 2 ounces ;D ;D ;D
                          Gary Patterson, 8 pounds 10 ounces

More stories and pictures to come as I will have to write how I rolled, rolled, rolled my fish right along ;D ;D ;D for a derby prize as I predicted on my post yesterday.  ;D

Nice to meet a number of FWR forum members including birdman and his dad as well as Big Steel (Who was not as bad as I thought he would be for a Canuck fan. ;D ;D ;D), Searun 17, and his Son, flyguy, deadhead and a number of others.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 10:24:16 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: January 1, 2006 Vedder River Derby, Complete Results
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 04:48:13 PM »

Well done. :)

Jr. Winner 1953

13 fish on the board outside.

Chris' 10lb 3oz and BIG smile ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
Vedder Jan 1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 04:53:24 PM »

Seeing that Big steel cant post until he lands his next steely i thought i would do it for him.Today big steel,guppy and myself started out fishing the mid river section,the water had about 2 feet of visibility and was still a little high but very fishable,we fished some nice runs but no luck for us or anyone   else on this part of the river,after covering this area we proceeded up river were the water had 3to 4 feet of visibility and was in good shape,we saw three steelies caught all wild and big steel managed to hook about a 12-14 lb wild doe that he lost in some pretty fast water, as for guppy and myself we each had one good strike on the upper river but were unable to connect,there were 13 fish weighed in at the derby with the biggest being 13.36lbs and the smallest being just over 6lbs,the weather on the river today was about 6 degrees Celsius with a slight breeze with very little precipitation,it also looks like the freezing level may have dropped a little judging by the snow on the mountains,a couple more days with no rain and the river should be in prime shape,there seems to be good numbers of fish in the system at this time,good luck and happy new year to everyone.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 04:53:47 PM »

nice  ;D good to see you got a fish chris. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 05:01:45 PM »

Also forgot to mention Bishop got a 4 night, 3 day fishing trip to Winter Harbour kindly donated by Wayne Ridley, Thanks Wayne for the generous donation. ;D ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »

It was good to have met you Chris,also don't let big steel fool you he is really a Columbus bluejackets fan at heart.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Vedder Jan 1
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »

hey big steel this must be killing you that you can't post a thing.lmao.  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 05:15:36 PM »

Also forgot to mention Bishop got a 4 night, 3 day fishing trip to Winter Harbour kindly donated by Wayne Ridley, Thanks Wayne for the generous donation. ;D ;D

Wayne's charter business:

http://www.ridleyfishingcharters.com/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »

My fish just after landing at 1:04. Notice the bit of pink wool I had along with the now eaten pro cured prawn tail. Also a recycled Fish A. drennan float with Leaf emblem attached in FA's and Big Steel's honour. ;D ;D ;D

The scene of the action, notice the spill over where the hen steelhead was lying, very close to shore. A place not to over look when out steelheading.

The Kingfish, the Kingfisher Bruce Bishop being presented the much coveted Ferguon and Furnell perpetual trophy by David Lamson derby chairman. Wayne Ridley is on the left donating the 3 day fishing trip to Bishop.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:24:20 AM by chris gadsden »

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 05:48:47 PM »

Sounds like everyone had a great day!!!

d_w

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 06:22:04 PM »

The derby winning fish was hooked the the tailout of the run i was fishing, chased it down to the next run, jumping neumerous times, at the time we estimated it at about 13-14lbs
I was tossing fly's, no hookups
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 07:16:09 PM »

Big steel didnt catch a fish because i was doing my jinx chant all day today :-* Hah just kidding! oh yah GT i must be the bad luck charm since you guys hooked up with a fish when i wasant there. :-[ Also very nice fish chris im guessing thats your first of the seasson.
[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 07:20:27 PM »

Congratulations on your steelhead Chris. So what did you win ? Any steelhead that gets caught by a guy wearing a Make Belief hat deserved to be bonked and eaten. ;D Obviously not the smartest fish in the gene pool  ;D ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 07:33:14 PM »

As very tired after a long day on the river, the playing and landing a steelhead I donot know how long or well written this journal will be. Excuse the spelling and grammar errors Lew and Terry that will be worse than usual. ::)

Will step back a bit to yesterday. I scouted the area I was planning to fish on derby day and as I noted in my post "Warming up for the derby" I had noticed some good looking spots and I made the decision I would spend most of my derby time there.

As it was News Years Eve I had promised my wife we would go out for dinner and then take in a show but that would be after the Leaf game. ;D The hockey game got the evening going very well and put me in a very good mood as the Leafs outclassed New Jersey rolling big time crushing the team from Hell. This victory was with a good part of the Leaf team crippled with injuries.

As the show my wife wanted to see started soon after the completion of the hockey game we headed for Abbotsford and the show, dinner would have to wait. More winning as admission was only a fiver each and free popcorn as well, New Years Eve special. ;D As we settled in for the show more winning as a usher comes in and says we have won some prizes for sitting close to a lucky marked seat. We won a T- shirt, a hat (Not a Leaf one ???) and two movie tickets. Maybe we won because we were the only one at this particular show. ;D ;D I ask my wife what is this show you have brought me to as no one else is here, the usher says some have walked out on it on previous screenings. ???

I tell my wife we will have our own private screening and it will be like when we went to our first movie, a drive in theatre 40 years ago. ;D ;D

It was not the worse show I have seen and anyway my wife picked it. I thought maybe there may be some fishing in it as it was called Wolf Creek but there was none of that, enough said.

With the horror movie done with and my wife clinging close we walked to the car in a hurry then off to dinner. Entering the place they said it was a News Years Bash and wanted $99 each. ??? I said anywhere you could seat us just for dinner which the waiter was able to do. I decided in keeping with a fishing tone for the weekend I had halibut to appease the fish gods for tomorrow. The band playing was even in a fishing mode playing Mack the Knife about a shark isn't it?

With diiner completed the drive home was like driving down the middle of a stream as the rain was just pelting down. What would the river be like in the morning I wondered.

Arriving home I watched the highlights of the Leaf game on several channels while putting on 110 yards of line on the reel. I then saw the old year disappear and the new one come in before finally getting to bed.

5 o'clock came too early but I was on the road by 5:15 searching for a Tim Hortons, darn all closed so headed for the Fish and Game Clubhouse. I had told David I would give him a hand punching tickets hence the early hour.

Before my arrival at 6 am at the clubhouse I checked the water with my torch and saw the water was perfect. ;D

On entering the clubhouse a number I already see a number of anxious anglers there including dead head waiting to have their tickeys punched ffor the shotgun start.other like me were buying their tickets. I had to settle for the coffee there, not like Tims but better than nothing. Spent the next 30 minutes selling tickets, joking and chatting with the crowd that grew to around 30 or so. Some good reports as Gwyn had been into 5 already this year and heard later Dale had 3 yesterday including a hatchery. What was with me only a chum in 4 trips. Also I have a dinner for 4 bet with Gwyn that he won last year for the first hatchery, cost me $150 as took the Master along for the dinner. Glad the two Gwyn had landed out of the 5 he had hooked were wild. What is with these guys not telling me before about these fish. I tell my stories successful or not on FWR, maybe that is what they are afraid of. ;D ;D Does not bother me as life is too short for that and if we can help some young anglers catch fish so much the better.
With the clock chimming at 6:30 we punch the tickets and in about 5 minutes the place is deserted. Gwyn joins the throng heading to that unknown hot spot that could cost me another $150 if he hits that hatchery. I just relaxe as 45 minutes to fishing time. Gwyn appears back at the clubhouse 5 minutes or so after leaving  with Martin in tow " Saw headlights were I was going, will wait a bit" Gwyn says.

Around 7:15 I head for the door, so does Gwyn, maybe he thinks I am going to his hot spot. ;D ;D

My hot spot is Tims for a coffee and a muffin. ;D See two fishers there, chat a bit with them. One of them is a flyfisher and he tells me he has one on the fly already. Well done I tell him.

With my coffee companion along I head to try a small spot just above the Crossing before going to the real hot spot.

On the first cast there I miss some thing, prawn tail gone, a few more cast down again but nothing. What is it? A few more cast I hook it, a small trout or whitefish that falls off before I land it. At least they like prawn tails. I try for 10 minutes more and then head to another spot just above. I try casting to the far side to a riffle and get a terrible rats nest that takes me 15 minutes to untangle. >:(

Enought of this spot, time to get serious as I head to the Leaf Mobile.

Part Two to follow, need a break
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:37:24 AM by chris gadsden »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 08:09:36 PM »

Well Chris, this is probably going to get some slag, but hey, I'm still at 799!!  I just wanted to say that it was nice meeting you today!! ;D  Also great job on the fish!!  Overall, it was a great day, with some great people!!  I was also nice to hook another real Steely, even if the hook did slip out at the shore, so it wasn't as bad as Searun made it sound.  :o ;D ;D ;) At least I got a real nice look at her.  They are an awesome beast aren't they Chris!!  Well, now I guess that I should go back to my self induced celibacy from posting!! ::) :P  But fear not, on Tuesday I will look after that!!  ;D If not Tuesday, then Wednesday!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:11:25 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!