Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warming Up For The Derby, Vedder Dec.31  (Read 4309 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Warming Up For The Derby, Vedder Dec.31
« on: December 31, 2005, 05:02:32 PM »

Well only 7 hours until we say goodbye to 2005 and welcome 2006.

Happy New Year to all FWR readers.

What better way to end 2005 than get out on the Vedder and check out some more of the new river. Did not get away as early as I should have and of course had to make a pit stop at Tim's before making that first cast. Ran into Lew and Anita at Tim's and had an enjoyable visit. Sometimes I think the great people and friendships you make through fishing is more rewarding than fishing itself.

First stop after coffee was to check the water conditions at Lickman and saw it was very fishable.

Headed the Leaf Mobile to the other side of the river, parked and started walking. Found some excellent runs to fish and oddly I never saw another angler, on the side I was fishing anyway.

Fished for about 3 hours and as I approached each new piece of water I thought the float would go down any second. It did go down once but the prawn tail was grapped by a 16 inch cottonwood branch that gave me a short thrill.

With the Toronto game starting at 4 I left the river at 3:30 getting gas at 81.9 at Yarrow. Also noticed while fishing today my line on the Avon was a little short of line so also bought 110 yards of 12 pound test Maxima Ultragreen at Yarrow. Donot want to hook that derby winner tomorrow and have it spool me. ;D ;D

Condition look good for tomorrow's derby and even though I did not find a fish where I fished I think there will be one there tomorrow I hope it will be a derby contender. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 05:08:18 PM by chris gadsden »

flyguy44

• who's a lama
Re: Warming Up For The Derby, Vedder Dec.31
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 05:46:21 PM »

g
Good report chris . I would apreciate a wheather report from the wack if you have time after the game .   thx
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 05:54:52 PM »

Just to clarify where do you weigh in your fish?
Fish and Game Club House on Chilliwack Lake Road.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 06:20:16 PM »

Can I get an address? I think I have seen the entrance before, I believe it is beetween The Crossing Bridge and Tamihi bridge, Correct
Yes, right across from the Pointa Vista and next to the Fire Hall, you can not miss it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 06:28:59 PM »

g
Good report chris . I would apreciate a wheather report from the wack if you have time after the game .   thx
Not raining at 6:30. ;D ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 07:13:44 PM »

will i be able to get derby tickets at the game club tommrow?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 07:22:38 PM »

Before 10am. Read the derby information and rules near the bottom of this link please:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/051124.html

Lew Chater

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 10:51:29 PM »

It has been raining steady since 7:00 pm with some really heavy downpours in the Vedder area. Temperature at 10:45 is 6 degrees. Raining hard right at this minute so don't know what the river will be like at daylight. Wish I could report better news !
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 10:52:12 PM »

Just came back from Abbotsford and what a rain storm we are having. It is just pouring and is 7 to 8 degrees out. Hope it lets up soon or the river may be in bad shape come morning.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 12:17:13 AM »

Like Chris said, The rain came down for about an hour and a bit.  With a big down pour for about a half hour. 10- 11 30. But for the moment is done.

The Bigger The Better!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 02:22:10 AM »

as they say .... come hell or HIGH water......nothin will keep from fishing today
happy new year people

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 05:18:35 AM »

Stars are shinning out now at 5:18 am, heading up to the clubhouse now to help with registration and then go out land catch the Kingfish. ;D ;D

Lew Chater

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 08:49:35 AM »

Good News. Just went down to check the water conditions and was surprised to see how GOOD the water was. A bit high with lots of flow but the colour was good with about 18" visibility. Lots of fishermen so should be a good Derby. Weigh in is 2:00 pm at the Chwk Fish And Game Club on Chwk Lake Rd. Come out and have a look even if you don't fish. You can gas up at Vedder Esso for 80.4 cents/litre. Happy New Year!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

Just sitting at home waiting for the results to come in..  its raining hard here in Vancouver.
Fish on!

Lew Chater

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 03:56:45 PM »

Don't have full results but at 2:00 pm at the Club House, there had been 13 fish weighed in. Largest at that point I think was 13lb 6 oz caught by Bishop. Chris came in about 1:45 with a nice fish at 10 lb 3 oz. Took his picture but unfortunately he had his Leaf's hat on, but still a big smile on his face. Will send some pictures if I can get them posted. Found the Junior Trophy (Placque) hidden away in their Trophy case. Last won in 1992, but I had won it in 1953 and never got a picture. Had a picture of the fish but not the trophy, so took some pictures 53 years later of the Junior Trophy with today's fish in the background.

Jr. Winner 1953

13 fish on the board outside.

Chris' 10lb 3oz and BIG smile ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:25:34 PM by Lew Chater »