Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best River for Steelhead  (Read 11793 times)

fishingmaniac

Best River for Steelhead
« on: December 24, 2005, 08:10:46 PM »

i would just like to know what some of the best rivers for steelhead are clostest to couquitlam... and some baits that would be used in some of these areas. ;)
Go Chargers Go

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Best River for Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:16:23 PM »

The Vedder is probably your best bet.

fishingmaniac

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 08:18:26 PM »

do you think that there would be anything closer to coquitlam .. say for instance the coquitlam do you think that thre wuld be any in there and any point and time.
Go Chargers Go

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 08:42:48 PM »

Never fished the Coquitlam but I suspect that you may catch one if you put in the time and effort. A little closer is the Seymour which produces some steelhead. Also in North Vancouver is the Capilano but it's a total catch and release on all steelheads.

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 09:21:53 PM »

If you put your time in, you will for sure be catching Steelies in the Coquitlam. Keep in mind it is a fragile system, and it can not take a lot of pressure. The Steelhead Hatchery program has not continued as far as I know, but there is, and always has been a run of wild Steelhead there.
Especially for a local fisherman, this would be a good system to learn, and explore. If you can learn how to fish the silty water properly, and watch the water conditions closely, you will do fine in no time. Keep in mind there are upper river boundaries and the lower tidal boundary as well. Check your regs for further info.
I would not recommend this system for others to try because like I said it is fragile,  but since you live close by, it will be worth your effort. There are also large dolly/bull trout throughout the system as well as Salmon, and cutties.
A good way to find holding fish in silty conditions is to cover the water carefully with a spinner or spoon.
If you find fish are checking out your gear, but not quite getting hooked well, then it's time to toss in some bait through the same water(check your regs on bait usage) and you should find yourself with a hookup.

Take care, and tight lines!

dnibbles

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 01:36:11 AM »

If you live nearby, go do some exploring, and you will be pleasantly surprised. I lived near the Coquitlam for a year and a half, and I fished it whenever I had an hour or two. There are some steelhead to be had, and I was surprised at the bull trout that I pulled out of there. Now that I live a half hour away though, I don't fish it anymore. It's not worth a road trip, but if you're nearby, give'r a try.

goinfishin

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 05:53:19 PM »

Anyone know if the Stave ever gets any steelhead?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 06:35:32 PM »

Yes

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 06:44:54 PM »

Please leave the coquitlam alone :-[
weeeeeeeeeow!

dnibbles

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 10:48:32 PM »

Do you leave the Coquitlam alone??? >:( The guy asked about the Coquitlam, so we told him a little about it. What's the problem?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 03:08:32 AM »

The best river for steelhead is somewhat a subjective choice. Are you looking for number of fish, or the quality of fishing? If number is what you are after, then the Chilliwack/Vedder River system that is supported with a fairly large hatchery production is your choice. On the other hand, you would be competing with a good number of anglers who have the same goal as you. If solitude is what you are after, with the chance of hooking into a steelhead that probably hasn't seen a hook before, then some of the other systems in Southern BC would be your choice.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 10:26:07 AM »

The Kingsway train bridge area of the Coquitlam is a good starting point. If the water is too coloured, drive up river past the gravel pits section and give it some effort in the clearer water. The run is usually a bit later than the Vedder and don't expect taking home a hatchery fish.  Fish are either wild or unclipped, unless the Allouette fish get strayed.  You can give the Allouette & Kanaka Creek in Maple Ridge a try. The Allouette should be more productive - 216th st. & Hot Rock area is a good start. Try it after a heavy rain & after water clears up. Good luck.

goinfishin

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 04:57:13 PM »

Yes
Cool.  I'm guessing it's not very productive for steelhead.  Something I'll have to give a try.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 05:49:19 PM »

Do you own the river? I am pretty outspoken about the small flows but if a person lives close by why shouldnt he/she fish it? Infact anyone can fish it but if you dont want heavy pressure than dont talk about it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 06:56:45 PM »

The coquitlam river in past years has been listed on endangered rivers list mostly due to urban sprawl and the spillage that comes from the gravel pits up river which chokes out the salmon eggs from the silt that runs in from the gravel pits,i have grown up fishing this system as it is my home river,in recent years there has been many hours put into cleaning up the system and to build spawning and rearing areas for young salmon,there are fishable runs of steelhead and coho with good fishing for dollies and cutthroat trout,chum salmon can also be caught in good numbers during the fall season,most of the fish in this system are wild fish so there is not much of a chance to retain a fish,the fishing regs allow fishing on this river because there are enough fish to  allow for a fishery on the river or it would not be open for fishing,the runs are not huge on this river but if we practice ethical catch and release there should be no problem for anyone to enjoy a day on the coquitlam in future years.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.