Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nina... help!  (Read 4372 times)

Eskimo

Nina... help!
« on: December 20, 2005, 01:39:41 AM »

I've just been invited to spend part of Christmas Eve with the family of a "special" friend, and they are Danish.  I'd like to bring a gift of food or drink.  This is my introduction to her folks and the others, (and we all know how important it is to impress her family!)    ;D 

Nina, what do I bring as a gift, that I can get in the lower mainland? 

I gather Christmas Eve is the big event; anything I should, or could, do to score "bonus" points?   ;)

Thanks
Ron

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Nina... help!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 01:46:28 AM »

Ron, Nina's measuring germs in the lab at her school right now. ;D She'll be back in a couple of hours, so she'll probably reply then. ;)

I don't know how much help she will be though, as we always sit for hours to come up with a present idea... :-\

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 04:28:17 AM »

mmm…bacteria…  ;)

We’re doing a project where we are testing the effect of Cu pollution on indigenous bacteria in soil, very interesting..... ;D

Anyway, you are right, Christmas is the most important holiday for Danes. Danes are usually very private when it comes to celebrating Christmas. Only the closest family is invited and every family has their own little traditions, but your girl friend has probably told you all about her family traditions. If she hasn’t it is probably a good time to ask. Don't freak out though, Danes are very social and love to spend time with their family and friends, called to "hygge" <---- remember that word, very important... ;)
If you don’t know her parents that well a safe bet is to buy some good chocolate and a bottle of wine. Might sound dull but it always works.

You can always go to the Danish food store in North Vancouver to take a look and get some inspiration:

Jolly Foods
11 Charles Street
North Vancouver, BC V7H 1S1
Tel.: +1-604-929-7937

Or even better yet, ask your girl friend since she knows her parents the best.

Hope it helps.  :)

Oh another thing, Danes are very informal, so don't go call the dad sir and the mum mrs. thats a big no no.....

Eskimo

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:18:37 AM »

Thanks Nina.  Now is that word pronounced "hi-ga" or "hi-gi". 

I know about the pudding and the almond, (may you get the whole almond this year Nina), the marsipans, and some of the other goodies.  You are right, I'll stick with the sure thing.  I appreciate the advice about being informal. 

Unfortunately, I can't spend the whole evening with them, as I have another important family commitment.  I had a feeling that being included was a real compliment.   :)

I'm not sure I'll get to North Van before Christmas, as I am in Mission, but I'll keep that address for future possibilities.   

I really appreciate the advice.

Merry Christmas Nina and Rod,

Ron

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 10:12:09 AM »

just bring heiniken and smoked fish  ;D

WestEast

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 12:34:05 PM »

Definitely do not bring Heineken  :-\ That is a very Dutch beer !! Scandanavians drink only Carlsberg or Tuborg.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 03:19:22 PM »

Merry Christmas Ron! See, you ask a question, you get an essay in return. ;) There is a Danish bakery in Abbotsford as well, I don't have the address but a search on Google should produce something.

The Carlsberg factory/museum is five minute walk from our apartment. :o We are considering a tour there in the near future. :)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 05:45:23 PM »

A Taste of Denmark Bakery
#100-32750 Dahlstrom Ctr.
Abbotsford, BC V2T 4V6
Tel.: +1-604-853-1220
- Specializes in Danish pastry and breads. Mail order available.

Eskimo

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 07:36:15 PM »

DragonSpeed,

Thanks!  I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ron

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 11:00:58 PM »

bring some danishes
crab cakes

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 11:06:22 AM »

;) good luck ron with the girlfriends family.just be yourself and enjoy her and her parents company. oh and have a merry christmas too

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 04:23:56 AM »

Neither  ;D

I tried to get Rodney to spell the sounds out for me, but turns out the "hy" is a sound which doesn't even exist in the english language  ???  :D
I guess spelled out the closest would be "hou-gah", where the "hou" is long and high pitched and the "gah" is short and low pitched...... :-\

I know about the pudding and the almond, (may you get the whole almond this year Nina), the marsipans, and some of the other goodies. 

I don't think, in all my years, I have ever gotten the stupid almond! At least not fairly... ;)

Definitely do not bring Heineken  :-\ That is a very Dutch beer !! Scandanavians drink only Carlsberg or Tuborg.

Carlsberg and Tuborg are definitely the favourites, but anything with alcohol in it will normally do  ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 10:28:52 AM »

Nina you're making it sound like houling sound by wolves?!?