Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Modifying" Treble Hooks  (Read 2633 times)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
"Modifying" Treble Hooks
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:03:24 PM »

I have some old spinners that I want to use but they have treble hooks on them. I was wondering if it's ok to just cut off two of the points at the shank and leave one, so it's like a single hook, or do I have to change the whole hook? I would think cutting it would be easier but am I allowed to?

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: "Modifying" Treble Hooks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »

You can do both.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 09:11:12 PM »

hi chum man,you allow to cut the rest of the hooks off,but that single hook will be a bit small for that spinner,is better to change up a slight bigger hook than that one

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 09:42:05 PM »

Wont that weaken the hook tons, :-\ It would be better to put a single new hook on  ;D

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 01:11:17 PM »

Keep in mind the original "hook" was designed into  the lure, spinner, plug ect.

As mentioned the hook weight should be the same on lures that use the weight for playing a part in its action.
A spinner would be different as the hook drags behind, not attached to the lure so I would think it would not matter in the size.

It's easy to change the hooks, cut off the trebble if there is no "O" ring and install a sigle barbless hook with an "O" ring.

Single barbless hooks are required in all streams and rivers in BC, so it's the norm to remove the trebbles.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles