Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liberals Fall, Hope For Our Fish This Time  (Read 16599 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Liberals Fall, Hope For Our Fish This Time
« on: November 28, 2005, 04:12:29 PM »

The Liberals fell by a vote of 171 to 133 today in the House of Commons on a vote of Non - Confidence. Hopefully the present government will be thrown out this time for all their scandals the last few years including the mismanagement of our fishery here on the West Coast. >:(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Liberals Fall, Hope For Our Fish This Time
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:17:17 PM »

Whoever we elect is a bunch of thieves. It just takes a while for the truth to surfaced. Look at the NDP in this province; didn't take long for them to be in cohoots with the Liberals to vote themselves a 15% pay raise. It was only a big public outcry that the NDP and Liberals backed down. I have very little faith in politicians. :(

Niki

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 04:50:47 PM »

I hope no one on this forum believes that the Conservatives will look after our fish any better than the Liberals did.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 04:59:08 PM »

I hope no one on this forum believes that the Conservatives will look after our fish any better than the Liberals did.
I know for a fact they will. ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 05:00:18 PM »

All three parties has FN first plance. Fish doesn't even register in the Federal politician. They only understand it as a barganing chip.

Scandals?? 12years ago BC premier was also involved in a scandal. NDP same thing.

A friend once told me all politicians are banana. I guess his right. Have anyone of you seen a totally straight banana?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 05:04:47 PM »

I know for a fact they will. ;D

Will it get them elected as a majority government?  If not, don't count on anyone even promising to do anything.  And not just a local MP... The PARTY head.  They guy that makes the policy.  Your local Joe may care about the fish, but if he can't get the ear of the boss.....it's just another non-minister trying to get the party leader's ear.

What did the conservatives do for the fish back in the 80's when they had one of the biggest majorities ever seen in parlimentary history?

[Silence......]

I thought so.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:27:52 PM »

DS in all respect the Conservatives have different people than in the 1980's. As well we did not have strong organizations those days like the SDA and other groups that are working hard to protect our fishing opportunities and protect the fish for the future. I for one will continue to do all I can until I make my last cast to work with our politicans to make this happen.

On the other hand if you are right we might as well kiss our fish goodbye. Just look at the other thread where there may be new SARA listing including Interior Coho.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:06:15 PM »

Sorry Chris but I don't think for a moment that fish is a high priority with any of the 3 main parties.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 08:17:21 PM »

Sorry Chris but I don't think for a moment that fish is a high priority with any of the 3 main parties.
Well it should be as it is a multi million dollar industry.

Lew Chater

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 08:33:01 PM »

Sure glad that everyone doesn't just sit back and give up. I guess if there is no use in fighting for our right to fish etc, Chris, that you and guys like Bill Otway might as well quit trying to make a difference. You could then spend more time fishing until the last fish is gone. Thank goodness we have a few people that keep trying to look after our fishing interests.

It is no wonder that the Sportsfishing Defence Alliance executive is close to burn out at times with the lack of support from the tens of thousands of fishermen that enjoy the sport but do virtually nothing about standing behind the hard working people that are attempting to protect our rights.

Keep at it Chris and Otway etc. I just hope you will keep trying and not just say "what's the use, no one in Gov't will do anything!"  You have to keep pushing, through the government committees and through the court system. This takes time, effort and money. I for one am certainly glad you are not willing to give up the fight!
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 10:59:03 PM »

I never said it wasn't worth the fight, but to think that one political party will be better than the other w.r.t. fish is just setting yourself up for dissapporintment. 

It's precisely BECAUSE they all suck at looking after our fish that we need to keep hounding them.  We need to be the thorn in their side. 

No, certainly don't give up, or it WILL be over.  People like the SDA etc are admirable in their ability to keep banging their heads against that brick wall.  Every so often a little chip of the wall falls off, and they pay attention.  Tough work!  And I'm glad someone is doing it, that's for sure.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 12:06:55 AM »

So what kind of heads chips the wall faster? ;) Ironhead? Leadhead? :)

Like what Lew said, it is very tiring for those who continue to fight while no new people get involved. Being active in fishery issues would only benefit you. There is a self-interest when I become involved in a particular issue, it would be stupid to deny that. I want to fish, and I intend to make sure I get to fish, and I intend to make sure the fish that I want to catch do not get cleaned up by others.

It doesn't take up much of anyone's time to get involved. If everyone chips in a couple of hours per month to help out, then the process would be a lot faster.

The SDA, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition, etc always look for new people to get involved. All of the above groups work to ensure the quality of everyone's fishing experience improves in the Fraser Valley. PM Chris etc to get more info on volunteering. :)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 07:27:17 AM »

DS in all respect the Conservatives have different people than in the 1980's. As well we did not have strong organizations those days like the SDA and other groups that are working hard to protect our fishing opportunities and protect the fish for the future. I for one will continue to do all I can until I make my last cast to work with our politicans to make this happen.

On the other hand if you are right we might as well kiss our fish goodbye. Just look at the other thread where there may be new SARA listing including Interior Coho.

When selecting who to vote for, you can follow Fred Flintstone approach by asking:
Who's baby is that?
What's your angle?

Or in a more vernacular, you can ask:
Who's your daddy?

The conservatives never was and never will be for protecting the environment. As George Bush said that it is okay for global temperature to go up a few degrees. (We know how a couple of degrees higher in water temparature did in the southern US.) 

Conservative has always been pro-corporate business and always will be.  That's where they get their money from. So we know who's their daddy.

"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Nostro

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 08:29:37 AM »

Never give up! Fishing, like no other sport, should have taught us all to never give up. Every day, every piece of water and every run is different. Politics is the same. Politics is another challenge and another puzzle, until you finally hit on the right combo of lure and presentation. Liberal, Conservative, NDP, Block Q, or whatever. They are all fish. You just have to adapt to getting from them the most you can. I don't think it's easier with any one party. They are all the same. But, they are there and will be there probably longer than the fish in the river. So, go fish! Doesn't matter which species you are after (Liberal, Conservative, NDP, Block Q or whatever), go get them! ;D ;D And, never give up. It's your country and your rivers which are at stake.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 11:20:20 PM »

Matuka Jack you don't think the Liberals are in Cahoots with big Business?  Paul " register my ships out of the country so I don't have to pay Canadian Taxes" Martin is the head of that government that thinks Bombardier needs millions and millions of your dollars to do R & D work they should be doing themselves?  They are all in with big business even the NDP because when push comes to shove that is how things are done everywhere.  The best we can do is to try and hold them accountable.  A minority Conservative government may be the most beneficial to the country. 
We can build it, take me to your Banker!