Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spey fishing?  (Read 12764 times)

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
spey fishing?
« on: November 23, 2005, 06:31:47 PM »

Just wondering if any one nows what exactly spey fishing is, its a type like drifting or barfishing, i think, or i could be missimformed, any help would be nice thanks. ???
My hands smell like fish again.............

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: spey fishing?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 06:42:42 PM »

Spey is a type of fly fishing using a heavier rod and different casting technique. I also believe the drift of your fly is a bit different than regular fly fishing.
[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 07:07:17 PM »

Different from traditional flyfishing in that you are using a longer two handed rod with different casting technique.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 07:34:38 PM »

Isn't it a type of roll cast?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:42:33 PM »

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 07:56:11 PM »

thanks for the help

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 08:58:55 PM »

Spey casting is a form of fly casting ( roll cast) generally done with a 2 handed rod " spey rod" and fish with a swing fly instead of cast and retrive.   You can actually perform they same style of casting by using a single handed fly rod too. 

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 09:45:09 PM »

I was given an 18 foot greenhart that was part of a matched that belonged to General Nole Money and his fishing partner. The thing is heavy, took it out once and got a sore back trying to cast the thing. I find a good single hander to be much more user freindly.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 09:46:38 PM »

But I think even a single handler your might still want to use a 10' or 12'er.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 10:44:11 PM »

BwiBwi, the length of rod don't really matter, a normal 9' work just fine.  Actually, lots of trout fishing guide down south, start using this method. They find its much eaiser to control the direction of cast, faster reaction to the rising fish and they can fish some prime water with no back casting room.  The down side to this single hand spey method, only works on floating line or a very slow tip.

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 02:04:13 AM »

so have you guys tried spey fishing with some good luck

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 04:18:16 AM »

It's just a way of casting in drifting current. Not really a special fishing method.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 11:13:49 AM »

ITs nothing speical, just cast your fly in the current and let it swing... but to master the spey casting is a totally different story..  BTW, Anglers West going to host another spey clave soon and i will info you guys later.

Stone

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 07:35:07 PM »

Actually, I have found double hand casting to be very "user friendly", if by that you mean relatively easy to acquire the skill.  If you have a good basic understanding of single hand fly casting, you will be able to pick up double hand casting without much problems.  The first few times that I was out with a spey rod, I was able to double spey or snap-t the head of my spey line...which is roughly 65'.  It took me a LOT longer to be able to cast 65' with my single hander when I was first starting out a long time ago.  Many people on the water can't even cast 65' effectively.  So in my books, spey casting can be learned relatively easily if you already have good fly casting skills.  Just don't expect to be shooting running line the first few times out.

There's several advantages to double handers.  1) You don't need a lot of room behind you for a back cast...so brushy riverbanks are no problem.  I heard that using the newer RIO Skagit lines virtually doesn't need any room behind you for the D loop.  2) Your fly spends a lot more time on the water, and usually that means you stand a chance of hooking more fish.  Spey casting is very efficient.  Instead of flase casting and stripping your line, you do a simple modified roll cast and your fishing again.  3) The longer spey rods offer lots of line control and control while fighting big fish.  You can do large mends more easily to control your presentation.  4) Casting a spey rod and fighting big fish with spey rods are a lot easier on the body than on a single hander.  Your shoulders and arms will thank you for it.  I refuse to play large springs and chrome chums on my single handers.  I only fish for them exclusively on my spey rod.  5) It's just plain cool.  ;D

Of course, spey rods are not very effective in slack water where there is no current to drift your fly.  You can cast and strip a spey rod setup, but their large size makes them feel unwieldy when used in this manner.  But for fishing large salmon and steelhead on the flow...there's nothing else like it.  I'm still relatively new to double hand casting myself...but I'm having a great time learning and catching fish with it.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 09:26:17 PM »

My question is what does a spey caster do when they are fishing a run with current and the fish are NOT enticed by a dead drifted/swung fly?  Does it become a hinderance to "spey" cast, drift, swing, retrieve, let out a bunch of line and repeat?  Would one be better off having a single hander in the above mentioned scenario??