Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brine recipe  (Read 7346 times)

fullahead

Brine recipe
« on: November 20, 2005, 03:04:57 PM »

Could some one give me a good, brine recipe? I am going to try smoking 3 Chum salmon, I got at the Squamish river this year. Any advice would be appreciated. ;D

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
Re: Brine recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »

what ever you do u must coat the fish with a thin layer of coarse salt, then all i do is pile on the brown sugar and let it sit over night, then off to the smoker in the morning, the more brown sugar the better for me, its pretty much a trial and error kind of thing your first fish wont be your best, you'll get better and better at smoking and what flavor you like, but there is no rules of what kinds of flavors you can use, use what ever you think might taste good and try everything, but what ever you do dont forget the thin layer of salt or you might wake up a little sick................ :-X
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:12:16 PM by golfnut23 »
My hands smell like fish again.............

fullahead

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 09:40:02 AM »

Golfnut 23
            I used to smoke rainbow and sockeye, and it all was turned out good. When I tried smoking Coho years latter, I could not get the smoker hot enough, so this time I will put a blanket over it, as guys have advised me. Big question last one. Do you take the salt off before smoking or leave it on? I am cutting this stuff up this morning; I will let you know how it turns out.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:19:27 AM »

Here's a couple of tips use 4 cups brown sugar 1 cup kocher salt  put it all in a zip lock bag shake it all up so it's mixed evenly if you want it spicy add some black pepper or some steak spice . Cut your fillets up into 3" strips or smaller the smaller the pieces the better the brine will absorb. Let it soak in the fridge at least 12 hrs I normally do 16 hrs . Flip the pieces around every few hours try keeping them in a pan that keeps them fully submerged in the brine i put them skin side up in the pan . Before placing in the smoker pat dry with paper towels allways smoke them skin side down . The rest is up to the personal preference of the individual I personally only use two small doses of smoke chips as you don't want to over kill the smoked flavor. Good luck !