Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod Building Course?  (Read 11119 times)

Barney

Rod Building Course?
« on: November 17, 2005, 02:22:39 PM »

Does anyone know of any shops or people putting on a rod building course?  Is it actually worthwhile building your own other than the "satisfaction" etc. of doing it yourself?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Rod Building Course?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 06:46:52 PM »

NO! I have been building and repairing rods for 38 years and to tell you the truth bulding a rod from scatch will cost you more that it cost you to buy one off the rack. The only way to save money is to use salvaged parts. IE buy everybodies old and broken rods, $1 here, $5 there, free when you can get them; harder today than it use to be. When you have a gabage can full (I have a closet full)look all the rods over and decide which ones you want to rebuild, then look over the rest of the stuff and salvage your parts, trash the rest.  Now you will need to get a book or two on rod building, from there it is trial and error untill you know the feel of a good rod from a bad one. Up untill three years ago I use to sell 20 to 50 of my RE & RE Rods each year out of my freinds tackle shop at Spence Bridge. As for classes the only one I know of is the weekend thing for building Cane Rod at Corbit Lodge each spring.

That's my two cents. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 06:58:40 PM »

I have been a rod builder now for 3 years.... I agree 100% with newsmans comments. The ONLY good thing about building rods for yourself is that you can make every detail as you want it. All my rods are built with identical colours of thread wraps, so my rod wall looks pretty sweet. But building your own rods enables you to make handle lengths to your liking, choices of types and color finishes of guides ect ect. To try and get your foot into rodbuilding to try and operate it as an income earner..... may as well collect popcans hehehe. In reality, I do enjoy building rods and if I could make a steady living at it I would. By example, one of the lowermainlands leading rod builders, with a full shop and ALL the fancy rodbuilding tools and machines, wholesale access to blanks and components, packed it in recently and has not been heard from since. He built rods for lodges, many retail shops ect ect.... all the while working at a regular job as well. If he couldn't keep his business afloat..... I wouldn't recommend trying to get into it for the $$$ and he turned out some VERY nice product.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:33:28 PM »

Does anyone know of any shops or people putting on a rod building course?  Is it actually worthwhile building your own other than the "satisfaction" etc. of doing it yourself?

hnmmmm.....I disagree with those who responded...'course they "could" be buildin' for profit and tryin' to keep competition at a minimum.....for 100 bux u kin have a descent rod that is built the way you like....to do this for a business....I'd agree with the others.....not much profit margin......as for cost...I'd say you could build a $300 rod for bout $100....my opinion....your milage may vary...;)))

check out this site... http://www.hookhack.com/

mojo

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 07:44:02 PM »

I don't think Barney is referring to money when he asked about "worthwhile"... ;)

Buy local and save money by the way. ;) I just took a look at the price list mojo provided on that site.

For example:

Rainshadow 3wt fly blank:

USD$61.00 before shipping and duty @ Hook & Hackle :o

CAD$51.58 before PST & GST @ Stryker Rod & Reel in Surrey ;D

Barney I'm still looking for local info on rod building courses for you, will reply again soon if found.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 08:39:03 PM »

Rod building is a rewarding hobby, if that's what you are into. If your time is worth "O" it might be a bus idea. For the rest of us our time is worth more than that. Why do you think I quit building rods four years ago and started buying premade. Now I buy my rods wholesale ($60 to $75) and use my rod building skills and equipment to do my repairs. 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 08:51:36 PM »

again i tottally agree with newsman. I also would urge folks to support local shops... though as a rod builder I do not like the new rainshadows..... offshore sucks!!
to build up your own custom rod from the top names like g.loomis, lamiglas, talon, sage (now flyrods only for sage blanks  :'( ) you will NOT save money unless you get a smokin deal on a blank someone has stashed away. But... every rod I have built for myself and the many out there that carry the " custom by AllwaysFishin" label are rods that have my Pride built in. If that kind of satisfaction is what your after you will get a lot out of building. Maybe a few of us could organize some kind of rodbuilding "course" and get together once a week and build some rods from start to finish.... Just an idea, I'd show up for it but don't have time to organize it.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 10:54:17 PM »

Lamiglas rocks! Build my wife's rod from one of there blanks I got in trade for fixing a freinds fenwick.