Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver River???  (Read 4410 times)

nigglesworth

Vancouver River???
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:35:15 PM »

Has anyone been to Vancouver River in Jervis Inlet????  It has peaked my interest for a while but I have never made the trip.  I have three days free and was thinking about grabbing the old kayak and trekking up to spend a few days around there.  It is remote, so I am sure it would be amazing, but would love any feed back if anyone has any. 

Do you think it is a little late in the season to be chasing coho up there???

Straight Runner

Re: Vancouver River???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:16:33 PM »

Never been there but sounds interesting. How would you get there? Kayak from Edgemont? Sounds cold.

nigglesworth

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 08:27:05 PM »

Yeah!  Drop in at Egmont and proceed 20ish kms up the inlet.  I think you would be lucky to see one other person up there..... 

Sounds good to me.

And a couple of days on the water is a couple of days well spent!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:49:20 PM »

is this an actual river...never heard of it??? ??? ??? ???

nigglesworth

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:02:52 PM »

Yeah....  it is just really hard to get to.  End of sechelt, then a 20ish km paddle to the mouth.  Then....  I have no idea, I have never been there, but I hear it can be good.

Straight Runner

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:25:29 PM »

My wife is reading a true story (The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchey) by a woman who cruised up the coast in a 26 footer in June 1928 with 4 kids and a dog. One of the fiirst stops was Vancouver Bay. The story there was a bear on the beach. Apparently in winter the prevailing wind blows down the inlet so your ride home might be easier than out.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 12:07:19 AM »

I know one FWR has been there before and he let people guessed which river it was. And this is just 5 months ago I believe.
Need to search for the thread.

McWhackit

• fishing is life, all else is details.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:57:56 AM »

Nigglesworth, having lived and worked in Hotham Sound just before Jervis Inlet where Vancouver river is I can assure you that you won't be alone. Its been far to long since the last time I was there but I know the Salish band owns the land and used to maintain a school there. If you make the journey it would be a good idea too visit the band office in Sechelt before setting out. Also be aware of the tides as the current rips through Egmont and the Skookumchuck narrows. Early spring would be a better time for fishing as the steelhead arrive then. I'm sure you must pack light in your kayak but a fly rod and some Muddler Minnows fished at the mouth could result in some sea-run cutthroat. Best of luck and be sure too post an update when you return.

nigglesworth

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 09:08:41 AM »

McWhackit, thanks for the info.  I will be sure to ask before I head in.  I am aware of the narrows, but thanks for the warning.  The rapids there are something else!  I haven't decided for sure if I will go this weekend, but it is a trek I have wanted to do for a while.  How is it up there....   beautiful?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 11:46:12 AM »

I remember setting out on kayak from end of Maple RD. 3 years ago paddled to Nelson Island. You can probably launch from there too. Just follow the cliff edge on the NE side. But make sure it's not a windy day as the wave can get nasty on Jervis Inlet. Haven't been up Vancouver River but heard it's nice.

nigglesworth

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 12:10:41 PM »

can you leave a car for a couple of days on Maple road???

BUBBA

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 04:26:54 PM »

Haven't fished there since the late seventies but we used to tied up on the right side of the bay as you're heading in. One of the forest companies built a lodge and new dock back then and would freak out if you tied up to it. There is a road on that side that took you right to the river ( about a mile or so I think ) The reserve land is on the left side of the river so I don't think you have any problems with that because no one was living there back then anyways and I doubt that has changed . Have fun .

McWhackit

• fishing is life, all else is details.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 05:17:15 AM »

In Egmont just above the goverment wharf there is public parking. I used too leave my truck there for weeks at a time without any problems. The other option is to park at the Backeddy pub which also has a dock. As far as beautiful goes, its the stuff that B.C. postcards are made of.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »

can you leave a car for a couple of days on Maple road???

Yes there's no parking time restriction there.

BUBBA

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 09:34:11 PM »

How was the trip?