Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone fishing with jigs?  (Read 3667 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
anyone fishing with jigs?
« on: November 11, 2005, 10:13:43 PM »

Hi guys, I'm a newbie, long time golfer as you can see by my name...have come back to fishing as a relief and break from my other passion...i like this site, i browse a few others but i keep coming back here so i thought I'd better join and brow beat you guys for your experience...i would like to know who is using jigs and what your success rate is with them? I've been talking to a guy that is a long time fisherman and has his own company, pretty interesting story but to cut to the chase he says that in many instances he finds jigs will out fish just about everything else including roe...I've ordered some from him and will let you know...it fascinates me as i for some reason seem to prefer this and spin and glo's and the odd spoons to bait...god i hate getting roe all over my conquest..just pisses me off no end...so there you have it, would appreciate your answers..

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: anyone fishing with jigs?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 10:21:56 PM »

I tie my own jigs and have done reasonably well with them. The problem is getting good strong jig hooks.

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 10:29:53 PM »

I wii second FA complaint about stong jig hooks. I fished the last weekend on the Harrison trying to get some clean chum for the smoker and staightened or broke about a dozen jigs over the coarse of the day.

I did see that Hubs in Abbotsford has some jig heads that are on Gammi hooks and I will be giving them a try..
No Nookie Like Chinookie

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 02:45:57 AM »

I tie my own marabou jig for the steelhead.  Nothing beats it when you need to go deep in a deep pool with a fast current on top from a steep rapids.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »

Jigs are great!  I tie my own and carry 15+ different colours with me at any time.  Marabou and rabbit give a great action to a jig that makes them unresistable.

I use them in pools and standing water...I have never really float fished them that much.

I pour my own ball head jigs.  1/8,1/4, and 5/8 seem to be the sizes I stick to. 

I bought some powdered jig paint this year and while painting up a head makes for a cosmetically nice jig I have had comparible results with a bare lead head.

I too have had a problem with hooks opening up, FA, I am thinking of ordering some owner needle point jig hooks.  I have some samples that I am trying to get my hands on.  If they are quality hooks FA, I would suggest we consider getting together to make a bulk order.  I'll let you know when I get them.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 03:14:39 PM »

I tie my own jigs and have done reasonably well with them. The problem is getting good strong jig hooks.

i am gettng them from silent approach they say they use EC 630 hooks with o'shannessy bend, thicker wire different bend then gamie's etc so much stronger and not supposed to bend out.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 03:19:36 PM »

Who manufactures EC 630's ???

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 12:21:36 PM »

Who manufactures EC 630's ???

don't know, that's all it says for hooks when asked why not using gama's? check out his web site and maybe you can see the answer, or you can ask him...he's a great guy to deal with and takes the time to answer my questions fully..which is highly appreciated..

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 01:58:23 PM »

Give the boys at R.F.T in Abbotsford a call they have them in the 3X heavy hook. I have used them for years and have caught countless chums and pinks with them. Good sturdy hook and well priced!

No_way

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 04:27:20 AM »

well you can call me stupid (you'd be in good company) but how do you use these jigs?

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 07:29:04 AM »

Jim's jigs makes painted jigheads on extra strong hooks. Local distribution usually has inverntory and any of the tackle stores in BC can order them in. They are available in 10pk in sizes 1/8,1/4 and 3/8oz. Retail should be about 4..49 a pack. Hot pink and fluo. orange are regular stocking colors and lots of others are available. It is also possible to get in 100 pack. The new Luhr Jensen marabou jigs along with the Yakima "Lil Corky" jigs and the factory tied Jim's jigs all come on extra stong hooks and are readily avaialble in many colors and the most popular sizes. B.C. is the only market that also uses marabou jigs in sizes larger than 3/8oz and Jim's Jigs offers many colors in both 1/2 and 3/4oz for chinook fishing. These are very popular in the Skeena region for summer and fall salmon fishing.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 03:30:05 PM »

Berry's has tonnes of jigs from jims and other brands, I've fished most of them and though haven't had a lot of success vs time spent using them but there are those guys that swear by them. They also have the Jim's painted jig heads on the 3x hooks but call em for availlable stock and a full flytying dept for bunny furs and mariboos. I know that the local supplier for lower mainland shops may have been out of stock on some of the popular colors and sizes of the Jim's blank painted heads but it is the season for steelies so hopefully Redl has loaded up. I think Berry's also carries a few sizes of Gammi 3x bare jig hooks in 10 packs as well.

I know that on the island rivers and up around the skeena system, float drifted jigs are used with excellent success. I don't know if it's the way these rivers flow or what but I have not managed a lot of success on lowermainland rivers though I have not put a tonne of time in trying to master the technique. I guess it's going to have to be added to my "things to do to make fishing more exciting" list  ;D