Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead flys for a noob!  (Read 17737 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead flys for a noob!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 09:24:54 PM »

Thx for the advice. Just realised something TROUT SLAYER WHY YOU HOLDING OUT ON ME!!!!!!!!!! help a fly fishing noobie out plz.

Troutslayer has no idea what he's doing. don't ask him! lol. I caught my first steelhead last year and it was on the fly to boot. I got mine on a muddler variation. As the season progresses the fish get more aggresive because the water temps rise. Another fly that hasn't been mentioned is a Zonker. it sounds out of date but if you ty black rabbit strip over a pearl mylar body with a red throat it works great. Ty it with red and black lead eyes.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 10:28:10 PM »

Yah i wish i could tie my own flies :-[ but i wont even give that a shot until a learn how to cast good and learn what flies to use in what situation. I hope i dont lose allot of flies because at A&N they are two bucks a pop and im sure i need a good variate for a successful day especially for the steelies.
[

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 04:39:54 PM »

thats pretty standard for flies. and you dont really need a huge selection for salmon or steelhead. for steelies i'd have some poachers, egg suckers, and muddlers.

No_way

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 11:55:36 PM »

Yah i wish i could tie my own flies :-[ but i wont even give that a shot until a learn how to cast good and learn what flies to use in what situation. I hope i dont lose allot of flies because at A&N they are two bucks a pop and im sure i need a good variate for a successful day especially for the steelies.

Flies are expensive! that's one of the best reasons to tie them yourself.  Besides, if you start tying them now you'll know how to tie what you need when you learn what you need.  Plus you can use your ugly first ones for practice  ;)

It's also important to know that fly tying, while it is a hobby that is closely tied to fly fishing, is also a hobby in and of its self.  There is a satisfaction to the art that is separate from the actual fishing aspect.  There is also the satisfaction of catching a fish on your own fly that is missing with store bought flies.  Not that catching fish on store bought flies isn't fun (or at least I hear it is, I've never done it  ;)  ) but there is the added joy in using your own fly that can't really be explained.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 11:52:50 AM »

One more question well two. ::) The backing for your fly reel is that just basically braided line? and is 4 or more piece rod better for casting than a 2 piece?
[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 11:55:47 AM »

I got both 2 and 4 pcs 5wt can't feel too much difference when casting. But 4 pcs is easier to hike around with.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 05:51:45 PM »

4 pcs has alot more flexing pionts. and 2 peice it alot eaisier to pack from piont to piony. 4 peice is a pain to breack down into 4 peaces with your line still though the eyes is hard to peace it back together. thats my opionon tho and a couple others i know

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 06:47:50 PM »

why would you want to break the rod down into 4 when you moving from spot to spot??  Why can't you just break down in half like a 2 piece ??? ??? 

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »

haha ur a genus, but if you have a tube them its better to be safer.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »

If you can justify the extra expense, 4 piece all the way. Considering how much flying I do, I really wish I had of forked over the extra cash on one of my rods for a 4 piece.
Actions speak louder than words.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 02:21:40 PM »

Don't bring the tube with you. Leave it in the trunk or at home. When moving from spot to spot just break down to two piece if for moving long distance unthread the hole rod strap it to your back pack and walk.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 03:37:56 PM »

Yah 2 piece seems to be the logical choice if only gona be traveling from run to run with it so why would i wana put a 4 piece together each time. ::) So since 4 or piece doesn't give you better casting 2 piece it is. Gotta save some money for them flys ;D
[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 03:43:31 PM »

As long as you don't hike alot to fish. just pick a 2 piece.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2005, 04:08:18 PM »

How many of you guys break down your drift rod while walking from spot to spot?
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 04:10:42 PM »

Depends whether I have to drive to another spot.