Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bear stories  (Read 4036 times)

ColinB

Bear stories
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:44:47 AM »

As we don't have Bears anymore in the UK [no Wolves, Beaver, Coyotees etc either], how about a few stories and experiences you guys have had with Bears, both Black and Brown.

The nearest thing we get to danger when fishing in the UK is the odd Billy Goat or Bull.  Oh I forgot the occasional Hoodie!!

Colin

JiG_Head

Re: Bear stories
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:31:13 AM »

OOO... i was going home from port moody after some fishing.... well i think it was port moody, my buddy gave me a ride... then on the way back... we saw this huge black thing ... then we are like... man what a big german sheppard! lol.... then we get closer and it was a black bear!
the shyt talker.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 10:52:19 AM »

There are alot of black bears in Ontario, when I was living there we had a neighbour who was a crazy native fellow, he was around 350lbs and liked to drink alot, one day he decided to kill a bear with his bare hands, or rather a baseball bat.  He and his buddy drove to the dump, found a nice sized bear, had his buddy stand on backup with a rifle in case the bear started getting the better of him. The crazy neighbour had a few gashes from the claws but in the end he had killed the bear.  True story, the same fellow was almost killed in a hunting accident, he was in a tree stand wearing a black jacket and some other hunter thought he was a bear and shot him!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 11:51:01 AM »

I was hunting deer this year in september, some 3 hours from home. My dog was my only companion on this hunt but as he is not bush trained, he remains in my truck while I'm off on my 4 to 5 hour trecks searchin for the ghost of the coast, the coastal blacktail deer. After a morning sitting in a narrow draw, deer where passing me from 40 feet to 30 yards away, as I sat camoflauged head to toe, undetected. 19 does and fawns passed by but I was in search of a nice buck. I headed back to my camp, a 45 min walk away and as I was nearing camp I heard my generally quiet rottweiller howling away from 150 yards away. As he was in the truck I was quite concerned, this was not normal behavior. As I came over a little rise in the terrain, overlooking camp and a 100 yards from the truck, I see a very large black bear appear from behind my full size chevy blazer. As the dog was howling away and the wind was in my face, I had not been detected by this 300lbs plus coastal black bear. I chambered my 7mm magnum as the bear rounded the rear of my vehicle and approached it from the side. The bear then reared up on his hind legs right beside the rear side window of my vehicle and my dog just went crazy. 120lbs of pure bred rottweiller just going ape in the roomy back area of my truck. There was no hesitation on my part as I shouldered my rifle and squeezed off a well aimed shot, bringing the bear down immediately, he didn't even know what hit him.
There was silence.... the dog , the birds.... I pulled out my hunting liscence and cancelled my first B.C. bear tag. It ended up wieghing 320lbs dressed out but hide on.
   While I don't consider myself a bear hunter, the bear population in the area i was in is very high and hunting them ( within the regulations) is encouraged by local conservation officers. Last year on the way back to camp I bumped into a very large momma bear and two cubs at 20 yards away tops on a very narrow, grown in logging road. You are not allowed to shoot a bear in this family group situation unless it is life or death, but I did have to plant two bullets into the road a couple feet to her left to get her to move on. I was dragging a freshly harvested deer and probably smelled pretty darn tasty.... good thing the wind was in my face and not hers. :o
     I always carry a bear tag for those "just in case" occasions. I think it would be a shame to have to shoot one and not be liscenced , so as to avoid wasting the kill.
There's my bear stories.   8)

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 12:44:49 PM »

i dont know if anyone saw the picture in the province of the bears going down the slide but if they did thats my back yard

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »

Nice read Thomas!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 02:22:23 PM »

I was going early fraser fishing in july right as i get out of my car to head to the trail there is the BIGGEST black bear i have ever seen just looking at me. I just got back in my car and it walked away. Trust me i moved on to find another fishing spot. :P
[

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 04:02:59 PM »

well the first one was when i was up in whistler and only 3...yeah 3 and i still remember it, but i was SCARED!

Ok, my mom, my dad and i were sitting in our cabin right along the whistler chateau golf course...so we made jify pop popcorn and were all sitting at the table, when we see a black back slowly move accross the low window. my dad says o its tasha (the dog who lives next door). so we think nothing of it and go to open the mesh screen door, and there is a black bear. i was so freaked. so we slowly closed the door and went upstaris to watch it from there. then we go into the bathroom to brush my teeth, when in the window, the bear is in the tree, looking through the window. i said i wanna go home..yadayadayada blah blah blah

So then last year my buddy and i were golfing westwood golf academy. first holes good i sink a 30ft putt for birdie and its all good. second hole, par 4, im lining up my putt, my buddies on the other side of the hole with the flag, suddenly we hear crackling in the bush behind me...oh its nothing a crow flies out. then i stand up, do a practice putt, when in my backputt, my buddies face is in shock...i turn around....and theres a flippen black bear 20ft behind me! so we did the normal precedure, dont look at its eyes, walk back slowly with club in hand..ok we get out of it.....8th hole...worse than a bear...can u guess??

A COUGAR. ok OH MY GOD, theres a f***ing cougar in front of us....ok so at about this time were freaked to death. we do the same procedure but make ourselves look big. ok like what the hek..we get out of it. ok we walk down to the people behind for the second time now saying that theres just not a bear, theres a cougar.

well those are my experiences,
Coho Cody ;)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 05:01:54 PM »

If you ever come to god's country, go to Terrace, B.C.  You'll have no trouble finding bears.  Black's can be little trouble for the most part, bur be carefull none the less.  If you meat a Grizzly, good luck.  One of the guy's I work with has a Grizzly story he doesn't like to talk about.  I've heard it and it's too long to post. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 01:13:40 AM »

I echo  those comments, as the Northern B.C. area has a very healthy population of bears. But if you are ever up in Smithers, stop by the Smithers Airport. They have on display in the terminal a Grizzly Bear mount and I believe this bear ranks up in the top 10 for the largest Grizzly Bear ever taken in North America. The story behind this bear is very interesting as  a writeup was done about it  in Outdoor Life a few years ago. But if you are ever in that part of the country stop by and take a look at that bear it is HUGE!!!!