Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions for you bar fishing people...  (Read 2424 times)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
Questions for you bar fishing people...
« on: October 28, 2005, 07:21:29 AM »

A couple of questions for you bar fishing people...

1.)  How tight do you have your drag set...?

2.)  Fishing for springs what mainline (and type) line lbs do you use...?

3.)  What type of rod holder do you use...see people with upright holders while others use the horizontal ones...

Thanks
Mike

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Questions for you bar fishing people...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 08:03:20 AM »

3.)  What type of rod holder do you use...see people with upright holders while others use the horizontal ones...

Thanks
Mike

1. It all depends on how you want it set. Dont over tighten as you will break fish off thats it.

2. For springs I will use either 40lb braided or 30lb ( Big Game or Ultragreen ) mono for springs.

3. Upright holder all the way.

If you are fishing upper river use 14-18oz wedge weights, spreader bar and spin n glos, with a roe sac if possible. If fishing lower river use a spreader bar or 3 way swivel and 3-6oz pyramid weight with roe.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers
Bryan

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

No_way

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »

Thanks
Mike

1.  Quite loose because you can tighten it if you need to.

2.  I use 20lb mono in the lower frazer

3. It doesn't matter, all a matter of preference.  We have ones that are about waist high we drive them in at an angle.  If your in a pinch just use a good stick with a good fork in it.  Drive the stick in and set the rod in it with the rod-butt on the ground.

Happy hunting!
NW

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 09:30:18 AM »

Personally I like to keep my drag tightened right up, makes for a good hookset, then loosen it off while fighting the fish.  For mainline I go with 50lb tuffline xp, braided stuff, it will last a couple of seasons and no stretch making it great for hooksets. As far as rod holders on the lower river most people us a horizontal holder, if your fishing rod is horizontal and you lift it out of the holder you only have to lift it to around 2 o clock to get a good hookset, with the braided line you dont need to reef on the rod to get a good hook set, simply lifting up the rod will often do it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 07:19:01 PM »

A upright rod holder if you are fishing the Upper Fraser. A "U" shaped rod holder if fishing the Lower Fraser.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 07:41:56 PM »

horizontal holder for mission bridge and down. 4 to 6 oz flat weights on abbotsford to mission area bars and 2 to 3 oz pyramids for most bars below that.
10 1/2 ft medium heavy (12 to 25lbs) baitcast rod and shimano calcutta reel is what i prefer, but this type of fishing can be done with many different rod/reel setups but my mainline is always the same.... 20lbs maxima ultragreen, though some guys prefer chameleon as it has higher abrasion resistance.
bait of choice is boraxed chum roe, for fall salmon (coho and white spring jacks) and good quality large egged spring roe for the summer fish (red springs).
8 inch bar rig spreaders with 2/0 or 3/0 octopus style barbless hooks, my brand of choice is gamakatsu all the way... the black ones.... fish like em better  ;D