Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Oct. 26th  (Read 3322 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Squamish Oct. 26th
« on: October 27, 2005, 10:34:33 PM »

Well, being back teaching is really putting a dent in my fishing time! ;) Although recieving my pay stub today and ouch....10 days off hurts.

Anyways..made a break for the river yesterday after school....left Burnaby at 3:02, and made my first cast on the Squamish/Mamquam confluence at 4:15. Short floating peach wool and well timed for the arrival of fresh fish on the incoming tide.
There was an entertaining old Russian or Eastern European fella on a little point of gravel down below me who was banging fish. I was getting nothing. 10 casts in, and I bird nested the Abu AGAIN. If that Fenwick rod wasn't worth as much as it is, that whole rig would be floating down some river by now. busted out my work horse spinner, and kept going. Russian dude went for a walk with his fish, and as he went, I joked with him that now he was gone, the fish could get by him to me! Sure enough... two casts later and I was into a fun little chum that went for a real run. It wasn't too big (weighted it on my new scale I got for Bday) at 13 lbs....but it was ocean fresh (8 sea lice on the high rear of the fish), and was scrappy as hell. In she came, roe in a bag (and now on a cracker beside me - I made this new recipe from a salmon cookbook my girlfriend gave me for my Bday)....and fish on ice. The most silver chum I have seen (when it first jumped, my heart raced as I thought it was a coho......thats how silver).

Anyways..back in I went...into 2 more fish that were older and greener...so off they went. I have noticed that almost every chum, including some real nice ones, that I have kept from the Squamish system have very small worms that live along the rib bones of the fish. I was very happy that this nicee fresh one had none. Cooked it up wiht Rod's own battered chum recipe with a beer twist...and man it was tasty. (try it with Gyoza suace on the side).

Russian guy managed to land a really nice and REALLY big wild coho which was properly released. Sunny afternoon, and a sunset that shone over the ridge onto a snow covered black tusk made my day complete.....I love this place.

cheers all

Vince 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 05:49:08 PM by aquaboy24 »
You don't make friends with salad.

Youngin

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Oct. 26th
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:11:05 PM »

right on! but try using green/light green wool, there's a fancy name but I dont remember it, I heard chums hit that a lot more :P unless you were hunting those coho :)

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 06:13:38 AM »

I believe the color is called chartreuse.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 07:38:50 AM »

whatever :P

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »

right on
weeeeeeeeeow!

meca_357

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 11:04:02 AM »

I made this new recipe from a salmon cockbook my girlfriend gave me for my Bday\

I dont know if you should be cooking salmon with that kind of book ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 11:12:35 AM »

Ouch, cooking book for Bday.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 12:22:05 PM »

Meco_357, you got to that before me  ;D

Nice catch Aquaboy24  :D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 05:49:40 PM »

thans for going light on me Meca.....thats a bad one!
You don't make friends with salad.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 05:59:34 PM »

Are there any hatchery coho that can be kept in the Squamish system?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 06:22:09 PM »

Supposingly yes.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 07:45:38 PM »

Tenderfoot hatchery raises them and I believe that is on the Cheakamus river.  1 clipped fish per day I think the regs say.  Squamish on the fly was pretty good today, snagged most in the dorsal  :-\ and lost every one that was mouth hooked - must remember to set the hook harder.  Oh well, still exciting to rip off my fly line and well into the backing in about 5 seconds  ;D.  Lots of Rain to report otherwise, clarity is excellent, or was at least today.  Couple of seals buggering around.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:06:37 PM by GoldHammeredCroc »

wading2fish

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 11:30:29 PM »

Are there any hatchery coho that can be kept in the Squamish system?

I've heard of very few caught--most are wild.  See regs for retention boundaries.

wading2fish

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 11:33:54 PM »

The area's of retention for CHUM and CHINOOK are: the Mamquam from the train bridge downstream, the Squamish from the power line crossing 1 mile above the confluence with the Cheakamus downstream to the tidal boundary, AND the Cheakamus from the bailey bridge downstream.

Areas of Retention for hatchery COHO only: on the Squamish from the powerline crossing downstream to the tidal boundary, on the Cheakamus downstream of the lower falls, on the Mamquam River....the entire river... 

One closed area: the cheakamus and it's tributaries "upstream" of the lower falls to the dam at Daisy Lake are closed to angling.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 02:41:20 PM »

I was looking for Rod's beer taste battered chum recipe, can't find it, can someone cut and past it here please?

Thanks