Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: interesting close encounters with nature  (Read 2864 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
interesting close encounters with nature
« on: October 25, 2005, 09:32:48 PM »

just replied to a question regarding the birkenhead river and i started thinking about close encounters with nature. was wondering if anyone would like to share some stories that they have had with animals while fishing.

i have a couple.

1. took my wife up to the chehalis lake to fish and picnic. as we approached the fishing area she froze because she noticed a cougar sniffing out the area where we were planning to go fish. that was the last time we went fishing in that area.

2. bellyboating a famous river in the caribou for large trout on the dry fly. while sleeping in my trailer my buddy comes roaring in at about 3am with his wife. apparently he woke up to something snorting and sniffing his head through the tent. turns out to be a small black bear that we end up chasing out of our camp only to have it return a few more times. find out later it was a problem bear and it was put down by a conservation officer.

3. fishing the birkenhead river when i have this funny feeling that something was watching me. as i looked up there was a huge bear (about the size of a volkswagon )staring me down. only thing its way was the birkenhead river. after a couple of times of what seemed like it was going to charge..it decided to move on. needless to say we didn't sleep in the tent that night.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Re: interesting close encounters with nature
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:46:56 AM »

I got one for you.

A couple weeks ago while fishing in a know grizzly area, I went up ahead of my buddy to fish out all the good pools before he had a chance  ::)  Anyways, I was quite alone, and I realized there was a large black animal watching me from the edge of the woods.  I got my bear spray (hanging from my vest) and then realized it was a cow.  My heart was thumping pretty loud though.

The good thing is that the cow did not charge me  :P

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 02:04:17 PM »

1989 100 mile house. trout fishing, almost got nailed by a tree. It turns out a darn beaver was the culprit.
A few years back mid 1990 fishing in Kitimat region. While walking down a trail at a turn, ran into a fox. That really spooked us.

2 Years ago took the kids out to Botanical Beach, my dad and I just feel wierd, too quiet. We decided to walk back to car. Just as we got into the car 3 black bears walked up the trail.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 07:56:57 PM »

1)Fishing the Chehalis last year for cohos. Just the three of us below the hatchery( yah- water was decent that day ) and I look back to see a mid sized black bear coming towards me. I started to walk into the water and grabbing rocks to throw at it. In the meantime, my buddies saw what was happening and started to make loud noise. Not sure where I would have gone to if it kept coming- luckily, it started to move back towards the hatchery.

2) About 12 years ago, I was driving up towards the cement block( Vedder hatchery) to fish for cohos. During those days, we could easily hook 4 cohos within 1 hour and bright chrome ones too!!! It was pitch black in the morning aroung 5:00a.m and I had just passed Tamihi and all of a sudden, 5 young girls came out of nowhere. They stood right in the middle of the road. I am not the type to pick up hitchhikers but I had no choice but to stop. They wanted to know where the Tamihi Camp Site was- apparently they were joining a Halloween party around thar area. 5:00am in the morning????

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:07:03 PM »

this summer i was belly boating up in osoyoos with my friends dad. he said how he had never seen a bear up that way and would always like to...sooo... well murohys law we say one out in the distance at the other end of the lake we were fishing. a couple minutes later we see it take off up the mountin and then i decided i had to take a leak. well bad idea. the black bear was about 50 yards up when i hade my wader to my knees. and my rod over my float tube. turns out that bear was a chicken i whistle (wich i suck at) and it took off agian. not much there but for being 15 good enough for me ;)

FISHYtheGREAT

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 07:40:32 AM »

I have heard/smelt many! and saw one way back in the day.Call me crazy all you want but I dont think there would have been a guy in a costume in that heat!

Sandhead

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:49:09 AM »

1) Last year my buddies and I were fishing a small lake near 70 mile and while we were bellyboating a moose swam across the lake, very cool to see.
(Would have been better if the only other people on the lake didnt have a powerboat  which they used to swamp the moose and discuss which method would be "easiest" to slit the throat of the moose and recover the body.)

2) On the Vedder this year saw a hawk with a snake wiggling in its talons

Ain't no HO like a COHO

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 08:46:04 AM »

Back when I was in high school, I spent about 3 hours in a very cold irrigation ditch while two game wardens looked for me.  That was the last time I tried poaching fish.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 12:16:01 AM »

interested in hearing more about the old sasquatch. where and when and what did you see?
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

FISHYtheGREAT

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 07:45:09 AM »

It was about 7 years ago up by golden ears, Anyone know of that place called "top of the world" back there? well a buddy of mine has a place up there with a large chunk of land that backs onto property(thick forest) So one day we were back there just screwing arround on the quads and decided too do some explorring of an old shack of some sort thats back there, in doing this we glanced over and our other friend that was with us and he is standing, white as a ghost staring across the bushes into the openning on the other side of the fence thats back there.We tell him too quit screwing arround and he just yells too get on the quads and get going.He turns, hops on and is gone.We, being the curious guys we are decide to check out this bear(or so we thought it was) and no word of lie pacing up through the lighter area of bushing clear as day is what to this day I swear was bigfoot.About 7 feet tall I would say and we watched it go untill it disapeared into the brush.After that we wouldnt even go back there for a while and when we did we started noticing alot of things like STRONG oders that would wave by, and sounds like two fairly large pieces of wood being knocked together, the wierdest is the fact we have had rocks tossed through the bushes at us.Never thought of what it could be untill our siting.Believe it or not, thats the story.*EDIT by the way, when it happend it was a very hot summer day, hard enough to believe somone would be way back there in a costume like that, let alone in the heat as well.