Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Island Fishing?  (Read 4245 times)

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
Island Fishing?
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:25:03 AM »

Ive heard so many good things about island fishing, and what to head over for a road trip, ive never been there before, just looking for any advice ( were to go, what rivers, what times are good for what fish,)
My hands smell like fish again.............

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Island Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 10:37:04 AM »

I read your post of 20 coho that may be hard to beat here. Few ideas are the nitnat and the stamp both have a good salmon run.  If you decide where your goin i can probaly help more.

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 10:57:41 AM »

hello kellya
Ive hear lots of good things about the stamp, i think thats my first choice, what time of the year would be the best to go, is the river simaliar to the vedder? hows the fishing there now? Is it easy to find the river and good fishing spots. ( thanks for the Help)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 11:09:57 AM »

There is coho in the stamp now i think its bigger than the vedder maybe 3/2 of the vedder(i cant remember the vedder well fished once long time ago). What i did and really liked was started at the gun club and walked up the trail to the bucket. Lots of water to fish. Bait ban is in effect i use wool,blades. There is a map of the river on gone fishing ill find it and post it. Any other info?

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 11:14:37 AM »

http://www3.telus.net/maps/Lower%20River%20Map.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/maps/Upper%20River%20Map%20full%20size%20copy.JPG
Moneys pool might also be a good idea. I saw alot of fish up there.
Have you fished the area? To get onto beaver creek go on the main road through town towards the river then turn right.

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 12:40:18 PM »

Is there alot more fish running through the island rivers, no i dont know any of those places i only now the name of the rivers, the map would help. Do you now how long it takes to get to the stamp from nanimo.

mr.pink

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 12:42:02 PM »

yep,stamp is bigger than the vedder.not as many areas to fish as lot of its private land.moneys pool is a good spot,i caught my first coho there a couple weeks ago,there were alot of hos moving through and some springs.i think right now the runs should be at full steam,good luck if you head over,cheers.
 takes about an hour from nanaimo,
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 12:44:01 PM by mr.pink »

phatwop

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 01:43:03 PM »

Is there alot more fish running through the island rivers, no i dont know any of those places i only now the name of the rivers, the map would help. Do you now how long it takes to get to the stamp from nanimo.

depending on what part of nanaimo you're from, it'll take you about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to get to the stamp. Somass river, just below the lake is a good spot as well.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 02:48:24 PM »

This, again, belongs into DISCUSSION!!!!! this is not a fishing report, where are the mods? :P

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 06:16:49 PM »

youngins are pests

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 09:54:10 PM »

Haha agreed this is a fishing convo. Lots of rivers are very high right now got a good dump of rain. SNOW pretty low on the mts :o

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 03:37:59 PM »

Just a head's-up for any considering the journey over to the Stamp.

Re: The maps Kelly generously provided from Gone Fishing's site:

The marked access into Eagle Rock, The Slide and Falls Pool has been gated at the airport. It opens daily ~ 9:00 am, and closes ~ 4:30 pm. Not a good idea to be in behind there that once it closes (you will be in for the night). There is another gate in the works for the main access to the same locale, just behind the airport near the gravel pit. That one, once installed, will be closed on a permanent basis.
Additionally on the same map, the labelled boat launch across the river from the Gun Range is currently under "user-pay" access. Report to the Office upon enterring the Shingle Mill, you may or may not be granted access for the day (lately the majority have been turned away).

The access to Money's Pool via the East or Park side is currently under a great deal of controversy. Please make certain that you contact the landowner before enterring. It is uncertain if that access is open at this time. Access on the West side is an strenuos hike, involving a good bush-whack, and a descent/extraction down a very steep timbered hillside. Be in very good physical shape if considering this route.

More and more access to this Great River is being curtailed, largely due to the actions of a few slobs, leaving garbage behind, and downright vandalism to private property. Please bear this in mind, and leave nothing behind but your footprints. T'would be a shame were we to lose all current access due to the actions of a few.

Thanks!
Nog