Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A big fish in the Lower!!  (Read 3815 times)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
A big fish in the Lower!!
« on: October 21, 2005, 11:43:33 PM »

Well do i have a story to tell :P. So here it is: I got down to the river @ around 9:45am. The people told me that since early morning,no one has had a single sniff. So I set my line out with some brand new chum roe with a special cure :P. I started to see a lot of chums rising in casting range so I started to gear up my spinning rod. While doing so I herd all of the guys on the other end yelling toward me. Just as I looked at my rod in excitement thinking I had a bite, I saw my big fat rod zoom into the Fraser river...... :o :o :o :o :o Without hesitation I hurdled over the big log in front and jumped into the freezing cold water after my rod.. :D :D. I grabbed it and set the hook, he/she/it, gave me a few good tugs and spat it. >:( >:(. After I caught my breath, I was thinking about how big that fish must of been to pull in my big rod. Coulda been a spring,chum or even a sturgeon for all I know ;D. But anyways for the rest of the day until about 4pm, there was one chum caught. At around 4:20 one guy had a hold of a monster....chum. He soon lost it. About 15 mins later he was into another, and brought it in to be a wild ho. Minutes later he was into another ho, and this one was a hatch so that was a good sign ::). Soon after he was into another biggen, it turned out to be a big dog around 15 lbs,which he gave to the fellow beside him. After that, people all across were gettin good hits and a few guys grabbed a couple hatchery Ho's. Well my ride was there at that point so I left after a long day of slowness :P. I hope to get to the stave tomorrow for some chum roe,seeing as how I'm fresh outta roe :'(. How did everyone else, who went to the lower Fraser, do?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: A big fish in the Lower!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 09:00:53 AM »

I woulda done the same thing, jumping after my rod. because i have before...lol. i was only fishing lafarge lake, sitting on a chair, and my rod's on its holder, and im waiting for bites. so an old fellow beside me starts talking. suddenly i hear this big CLINK sound. i look over, and my rod holder is lying flat on the ground, and my rods starting to zoom into the water. luckily the waters no more that a foot deep, so i was able to get it and set the hook, but no fish.

Anyways, good report Colton!!

Coho Cody ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 10:02:39 AM »

i "cast " my bass rod out of my hands from a bellyboat, it slipped out of my hands because they were slimy from just handling a bass as i cast it, plus my fingers get numb when theyre even a little bit cold...the rod plunked into the water about 3 feet in front, i lurched forward and the bellyboat tipped over forwards and as i stretched my feet were coming out of the water behind me.  I got the rod but any further and i would have been in big trouble!  Sorry to hear you didnt get to see what was on the other end!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 11:04:44 AM »

haha me too ;D Good stories as well guys

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 11:22:49 AM »

Lol you jump in before thinking ive done it twice. Once i was fishing off a sailboat in 30 feet of water and switched reels so i left my one reel on the deck. I wasnt paying attention and accidently kicked it in before i knew what was happening i was in trying to grab it and didnt get it. Strapped on the freediving gear and couldnt find it on the bottom :-\ Another time at the marina i was useing my dads tools and was on the bow of the boat fixing the light. I was unscrewing something and dropped his expensive screwdriver that he told me not to lose in. I jumped in but didnt get it then pulled myself out fully cloathed soaking wet. Everyone looked at my like i was crazy. I walked back to the house got the freedive gear dove down and got it. Werent you cold fishing all day soaking wet? When i fell in last week i was and left right away.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »

well I was cold in the morning till about 1 then i was fine. But luckly I decided to wear shorts under my pants ;D

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 10:14:22 PM »

I was up at sunshine coast fishing lings.. with a few buddys of mine and we looked for one second off are rods.. zoom the rod went it the water and down she went my friend didnt even have a chance getting that bad boy..
crab cakes

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 10:34:18 PM »

Lol, my buddy once fished there but dident get a whole lot. Ya a ling is at the bottom ofcourse soo it would have been like sucked into a black hole ;D

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 10:42:27 AM »

yup thats egzactly what happend
crab cakes

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 03:06:47 PM »

haha :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 06:02:07 PM »

my sturgeon rod went in the fraser 2weeks ago. i wasnt brave enough to jump in after it. ended up snaging the line and landing the fish, a 3fter, but didnt get the rod. o well the replacement has caught a bigger fish already.