Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-glue felt sole bottom  (Read 3817 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re-glue felt sole bottom
« on: October 17, 2005, 02:10:23 PM »

Is it possible to reglue loose felt sole bottom on my wading boot without a pro shoe repair place (expensive)?  What kind of glue works best?  If any one has done it before, can you explain the proper way to do it?   Thanks.

dboy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Re-glue felt sole bottom
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 04:19:42 PM »

I reglued the felt soles on my Hodgemans using Aquaseal.
So far no problems. Mind you I only use these boots as spares so they havnnt been tested more than a few times since being repaired.  Still, I am confident using aquaseal, its a good product.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 05:24:33 PM »

Pay a cobbler to put it on because if you screwup, you end up spending more money. I tried it before and did not do a good job. Its tough to remove the excess material from the old sole.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 07:08:05 PM »

If your felt is in decent shape and is just loose then make sure it is completely dry . clean it and scruff it up with sandpaper or an emory board . apply shoe goo wrap it with tape and let dry . good as new.
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:10:51 PM »

When I looked back over my fishing season I realized that I did very little wading on rocks in rivers adn spent more time along the shore and hiking in and around sand and mud. Felt soles are treacherous in mud.

Instead, several years ago, for about $25 I had a cobbler glue on a pair of rubber treads and have been happy with the result.

Something else to consider...

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:27:20 PM »

I have aqua stealth rubber and swear by it.  It does not absorb water wears better than felt and and sticks as well as felt. If whirling disease is an issue where you are, it will not absorb water and the parasite to transfer to another river. 

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 11:55:10 PM »

Thanks for all the advice.  Flyguy44, you have a neat suggestion. Do you find the Shoe Goo durable enough?  I have read that Aquaseal is better, but it may be too expensive to re-glue both boots with it. I used Aquaseal for repairing wader.  Any other glues that may work & durable? Thanks.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 05:50:31 AM »

I used shoo goo at the beginning of August and so far they are in great shape . but it is like anything else it is all in the preperation. Good luck with whatever you do.
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 03:42:04 PM »

Contact cement have used it for years. Just make shure you read the label and don't buy the water soluble kind.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"