Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can you take fresh eggs to the vedder hatchery?  (Read 2277 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
can you take fresh eggs to the vedder hatchery?
« on: October 17, 2005, 09:54:03 AM »

so a friend caught a beautiful spring this weekend - but the catch was it was a marble spring...first I have ever seen anyways...but she had some very nice eggs in great shape - we would have driven the eggs to hatchery but does anyone know if they take them? how to store them for the quick drive..I usually have ice with me...

thoughts...

Double Underhooks

Re: can you take fresh eggs to the vedder hatchery?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:08:20 AM »

What did he do with the fertilized eggs? did they hatch?!?

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:34:30 AM »

I think eggs have to be "ready" or mature in order to fertilize.  Usually they drop from the skein into the body cavity when the fish is ready to spawn and those ones certainly can be fertilized viably.  They can last out of the fish for a while as long as its a very clean container.  Air does not do too much to them, but water will immediately start to harden them.  If they were still attached to the skein, they might not be ready yet.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:56:14 AM »

I dont think the eggs would have been ready. When they are ripe they dont stay together in a skein they just all fall out. When you lift the fish and its ripe eggs should come out. I dont know if there is any need to take it to the hatchery they get thousands of fish and the eggs pribaly would not last long enough. I dont know if they would accept them anyway because if the eggs are no good they will contaminat other eggs when in incubation. For every one bad egg 5 are killed from bacteria.