Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chilliwack river oct 15.  (Read 2855 times)

Youngin

• Old Timer
chilliwack river oct 15.
« on: October 15, 2005, 08:37:54 PM »

Well. my dad and my self hit the upper vedder we went pretty late, we left at about 3 pm only to get there at around 4:30-5 sigh.. okay.. an hour of fishing.. oh well.. go to our usual spot.. 5-6 casts in.. fish on! play it for about 3 minutes and it breaks off.. few more casts.. another fish.. breaks off again! grr.. now I see my dad has a fish on... he somehow lands it Real fast.. no idea how... because when I put my eyes on it I saw a 20+ pound spring! we decide to snap a few pics and let it go, too bad my dad can't hold a phone camera IN PLACE! but here's the best I got

(note half the fish is still in the water because I got tired of holding the HEAVY fish while my dad figures out how to press a button on HIS OWN phone...)

One more cast for me and I had another fish that broke off too! grr.. no fish landed for me...
dad-1 me-0 next time.. next time.. hopefully we will leave EARLIER next time :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: chilliwack river oct 15.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »

Sorry to hear about losing all those fish youngin!!!!!!  :P :P How fast was the water that you fishing????? Besides you have to let your dad catch more sometimes don't you????? ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 08:41:21 PM »

What lb test do you use?

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 08:42:09 PM »

It was obviously TOO fast because you only get to take one out of six fish out of the water there :P a lot of coho jumping.. none hooked up in the hour I was in.. I'm sure if I was there since the morning I would have hooked in a few coho. and i'm sorry to say.. I used 25lb main and 20 lb leader again.. and they still broke off and I did all my knots right, held the rod right, but I just can't stop them from going in to the rushing water.. Only 2 broke the hook. 1 just spit it. next time when we have time we will go on the other side of the river, from there we can go downstream with the fish.. just no time today wanted to atleast get a fish on the rod :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 08:47:50 PM by Youngin »

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 08:49:02 PM »

No fish should break the hook before 20lb test. Get gammies they are awsome. Set your drag looser and play the fish out if you can follow them downstream. It should help your landing percentage.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 08:51:52 PM »

yeah. except you cant go downstream. there is a small stretch that leads into a turn with rushing water.. and once the fish gets near the turn you might as well just cut your line I would have gone on the other side of the river but had no time today.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 09:12:54 PM »

Dude, learn how to handle your fish if you plan to release them. Hands in the mouth and gills area is seriously bad for the fish, and arching it out of the water like that is not good at all....I can hear that fishes vertabrae snapping at my house!!!! Disgusting!!! :(

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 09:14:41 PM »

... Exactly why i did not pick it up... i was holding it by the tail and stomach until i got tired and i put it in the water and grabbed it by the gills half body still in the river for a quick shot and off it went. but I learn from my mistakes, I never knew it was bad for the fish, next time I will try my best to hold it right thank you@
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 09:24:05 PM by Youngin »

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 09:45:10 PM »

Yup you gotta be very gentle never lift them vertical or touch their gills.

mark

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:49:55 PM »

Another thing is never pick up a fish by the tail end because you can break or damage its spine, I learnt this in my fisheries course. The weight of the fish can break it. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 09:54:08 PM »

Thanks for the report Youngin.  Yes - unfortunately, I would have to agree - putting your fingers into the gill area should never be done with a fish you intend to release.  Hey - you've just learned something new!  Please pass the information on... ;).

BTW - big fish dude!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 10:50:12 PM »

sorry next time I will release it with proper care thanks rodney for the article

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 01:30:15 AM »

nice fish heading there monday :)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 01:55:18 PM »

Also, be ready to take a picture of your catch if you really need one and intend to release. Holding a fish out of the water to take a picture and only to find out you havent figured out how the use your camera is only hurting the fish more. Remember the fish is probably out of breath after a long hard fight, to make it worse the fish is now lifted out out of the water and cannot breath at the point where it needs to breath the most. If you intend to take a picture be prepared and do it fast. Knowing this and with a proper release youll know the fish will carry on.
The Bigger The Better!