Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Posting Fishing reports  (Read 13909 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Posting Fishing reports
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 04:54:26 PM »

The word HUGE is subjective, it's not scientific. Until numerical, graphical analyses of the overall angling participation, internet usage and Lower Mainland population growth in the past decade are provided, the claims are pretty worthless IMO.

If exploration is an element in your fishing outing, go north.

As far as Dennis goes from reading allot of his posts he seems to want to argue with everyone. I dont pick on people that dont start something with me first. He has already tried to pick on something before and if this was the first time I probably would not have reacted the way i did. I always give someone a first chance but if I see a pattern than it becomes clear to me on how someone acts.

Huh? It takes two to tangle. I recall over the weekend, it was you who decided to confront him after he expressed his view on Fish BC. Not too sure who made you the spokesperson of Fish BC, but his comments would have been taken care of by the moderators on this site once viewed by us. His original reply in this thread picks apart your claims by pointing out flaws developed from too many assumptions. If anyone who took the interaction to a personal level, it was you.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 05:01:59 PM »

The word HUGE is subjective, it's not scientific. Until numerical, graphical analyses of the overall angling participation, internet usage and Lower Mainland population growth in the past decade are provided, the claims are pretty worthless IMO.

If exploration is an element in your fishing outing, go north.

As far as Dennis goes from reading allot of his posts he seems to want to argue with everyone. I dont pick on people that dont start something with me first. He has already tried to pick on something before and if this was the first time I probably would not have reacted the way i did. I always give someone a first chance but if I see a pattern than it becomes clear to me on how someone acts.

Huh? It takes two to tangle. I recall over the weekend, it was you who decided to confront him after he expressed his view on Fish BC. Not too sure who made you the spokesperson of Fish BC, but his comments would have been taken care of by the moderators on this site once viewed by us. His original reply in this thread picks apart your claims by pointing out flaws developed from too many assumptions. If anyone who took the interaction to a personal level, it was you.

Sure they are subjective your right in that statement. I dont have the time to go to every river in the LM to do that type of research but if people didnt post about those smaller sytems it would help, no? It certainly wouldnt hurt now would it.

His post about FishBC was uncalled for. I dont go to other forums and bash other forums as its really immature. Every forum has good advice in some respect. I have allot of friends on FishBC so he not only insulted me for being a subscriber but he insulted 6000 members. I would just like to forget about that guy and focus on the original post.

My post I guess is more of a THEORY than hard facts. Maybe I should have put some more thought into the wording of the post instead.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 05:05:58 PM »

I would like you to point out a thread in this fishing report board that mentions these "small systems" in the past few months.

His post about FishBC was uncalled for...

As Dragonspeed has already told you before, let the moderators handle it. No need to toss fuel on fire.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 05:17:42 PM »

I would like you to point out a thread in this fishing report board that mentions these "small systems" in the past few months.

His post about FishBC was uncalled for...

As Dragonspeed has already told you before, let the moderators handle it. No need to toss fuel on fire.

A person cant stand up for himself and his friends? I am sorry but I always stand up for my friends/family its in my nature. The coho season is just getting started and already people are all over the Stave River like a wet t-shirt. Just you wait as we well see it coming as the season heats up. Last year on Fish BC SEVERAL small systems were mentioned and the ones near where I live that I could walk down to and not see one single person changed for the worse after that. I am just making people aware that if they dont want the pressure on their honey holes that they keep it to themselves. I am not going to mention these sytems as I dont want it to happen again.  I will mention the Stave because allot of people already know about it. The Stave does not have allot of shore to fish from. Now with more and more people talking about it, well its going to end up a zoo before November.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 05:26:19 PM »

So if membership number and growth are bigger on FishBC, why aren't you putting these concerns on there? ;) Especially since these "small systems" were mentioned there last year. Again I ask you, point out a post in this fishing report section that mentions these "small systems".

Nothing wrong with standing up for your friends and family. Next time, stand up by reporting the post to the moderators instead. ::)

So tell me if this makes sense to you... ;)

You are telling people about the Stave because people already know about it, yet the Stave doesn't have a lot of shore access so as more and more people talk about it, it'll end up a zoo in November...

Why are you talking about it then, aren't you part of the problem? ??? ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 05:41:08 PM »

So if membership number and growth are bigger on FishBC, why aren't you putting these concerns on there? ;) Especially since these "small systems" were mentioned there last year. Again I ask you, point out a post in this fishing report section that mentions these "small systems".

Nothing wrong with standing up for your friends and family. Next time, stand up by reporting the post to the moderators instead. ::)

So tell me if this makes sense to you... ;)

You are telling people about the Stave because people already know about it, yet the Stave doesn't have a lot of shore access so as more and more people talk about it, it'll end up a zoo in November...

Why are you talking about it then, aren't you part of the problem? ??? ;D

I am not a part of the problem I am only 10mins from it.You wanted an example so thats what I did, without naming exact locations on the river.......... Here is a good example of how I see it. If I were to travel 60miles to fish a small system for salmon that I heard about on the net I would feel that would be wrong. I cant stop people from doing it but atleast I might be able to stop 5-10 people from posting about small systems, and that enough is making a difference.

Last year I did mention it on FishBC and made a HUGE stink about it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

John Bigbooty

• Where am I ?
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 05:42:19 PM »

That's true!  Eddie makes a big stink all the time!  ;D

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 05:45:15 PM »

Eddie, I do not want to pick on you by any means, believe me.
 I would like to point out to you and others however, that the Stave River fishery has completely been built up by artificial(hatchery enhanced means)to supply the sport fisherman with sport fish to fish for. This system particularly has been concentrated on over the past decade by Fisheries in order to take pressure off of the other over fished systems.
Sure there is the odd wild fish that enter the Stave for gill cleaning or other reasons, but by most part this system is considered by Fisheries to be a completely enhanced Fishery.

To suggest that people all of a sudden are fishing the Stave because of posts on forums  may be partially true, but in ways this is a good thing because that is exactly what is intended to happen by the augmentation of this system.

Another common way of people learning of river's fish return numbers is to visit the Fishery web sites to see the hatchery smolt release and expected return numbers. Anyone looking up this info can simply see that the Stave River has been focused on seriously over the past decade by means of hatchery enhancement. Therefor attracting a higher number of fishermen/women, and families enjoying the park, trails, dog walking areas,fishing opportunities, etc...

I believe you do have a very legitimate comment on the increasing pressures of our local smaller rivers. However, fishermen will always have that desire to fish new water, and find quieter areas. I am not one for posting info on smaller systems myself, and I do not believe most people are not either, but you should not be surprised when it happens.

I do know where you are comming from, and I understand your concerns.

The reality is, like Rod suggested, I believe, up North is your best bet these days for a quieter system. Even up North has probably seen an increase in angling pressure by at least 50% over the past 6-8 years.

Keep in mind you are on a forum, and try not to be offended when others reply to your comments. Not everybody sees eye to eye on everything.

Take care.

ATS.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 05:48:49 PM »

I am not a part of the problem I am only 10mins from it.You wanted an example so thats what I did, without naming exact locations on the river.......... Here is a good example of how I see it. If I were to travel 60miles to fish a small system for salmon that I heard about on the net I would feel that would be wrong. I cant stop people from doing it but atleast I might be able to stop 5-10 people from posting about small systems, and that enough is making a difference.

The driving distance from your house to the Stave is not the problem. I was simply trying to figure out what your point is when...

It's a contradiction.

So you read about a new river on the net, you do not go fish it? Is it different if you read about it in a travelling brochure or book? What if someone tells you about this small system that he or she has had fishing success at? How would that person feel if you start fishing it? Does he or she see you as part of "the problem"?

Last year I did mention it on FishBC and made a HUGE stink about it.

Post it again, since participation has doubled since last year, you should be able to make a bigger stink about it. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 05:56:54 PM »

Addicted to Steel your comments have been the most helpful so far in this thread, thanks for the information.

Jon Bigbooty, your damn straight!!  ;)

Rod if someone posted about a small system and their success in catching salmon I would leave it alone and thats the honest truth.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 05:58:02 PM »

well said! and yes..... small systems should be protected from the internet. they are fragile and 99% of the time contain wild fish anyway. post your results but not name the river/lake or stream. many do on this forum and that is just fine.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 06:04:36 PM »

Rod if someone posted about a small system and their success in catching salmon I would leave it alone and thats the honest truth.

You're selectively reading my replies. ;)

I'm still waiting for you:
  • to point out a thread in this fishing report board that mentions these "small systems" in the past few months,
  • to tell us if your action would be different if the information of the small streams are obtained from word of mouth, books or travelling brochures.

Your concerns of small sensitive streams are valid. I have similar concerns. What I find it troubling was why on earth would you bring up this when there isn't a concern after all? If FWR forum is generating tremendous amount of, or any, pressure on small sensitive streams, then this thread may have some ground to stand on. I would be more worried about poaching that goes on at night at these streams.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 06:18:45 PM »

You're selectively reading my replies. ;)

I'm still waiting for you:
  • to point out a thread in this fishing report board that mentions these "small systems" in the past few months,
  • to tell us if your action would be different if the information of the small streams are obtained from word of mouth, books or travelling brochures.

Your concerns of small sensitive streams are valid. I have similar concerns. What I find it troubling was why on earth would you bring up this when there isn't a concern after all? If FWR forum is generating tremendous amount of, or any, pressure on small sensitive streams, then this thread may have some ground to stand on. I would be more worried about poaching that goes on at night at these streams.

PM sent

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2005, 07:13:08 PM »

No reply??

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2005, 07:15:41 PM »

I just had dinner, there is a life beyond here, you know? ::) ;)