Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: upper or lower.  (Read 11152 times)

fisher88

upper or lower.
« on: October 11, 2005, 05:25:58 PM »

Heading out tomorrow for some action on the vedder.. when you are targetting cohos where do you want to fish.. Im guessing lower river because there is more suitable water for them.. I have noticed that when people are fishing the upper river they tend to be catching more white springs???    and is roe really that much for of a help when fishing for coho over wool?
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: upper or lower.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »

Like many (basicly rodney) have said you can catch them anywhere but lower river is better for the fresh fish that move in the night before. Roe is good for scent i personaly think it beats wool any day when the fish are there cuz i allways out fish my dad and he uses just wool lol.
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 06:49:17 PM »

You fish roe a lot floater?????  Up until a week or two ago you didn't even know how to cure it!!!!  You were having a heck of a time with your first batch of roe!!!!! ;D ;D  What did you always buy it before?!?!?!?!?  I guess that you figured out how to put it on the hook as well!!!
But you are pretty much right about the roe outfishing wool, except in certain water conditions and time of day!!!!
Also floater is right about getting the fresh fish that entered the river overnight!!!!!  But I do find that about a week after a good amount of rain that some sections on the upper river out produce the lower river, as these fish will like to hold a bit more in certain water on the upper.  You still get very chrome fish on the upper as well!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:04:38 PM »

I fish roe allways now second batch i cured was perfect. :P Still new to it but every outing im perfecting my technique no coho on the roe yet but every other species seems to like it. ;D
[

norm_2

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 08:29:59 PM »

But you are pretty much right about the roe outfishing wool, except in certain water conditions and time of day!!!!

Big Steel, would you mind sharing with us which time of the day wool would out-fish roe?  I think it is true, but I was just wondering how you have experienced it.  Thanks.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:36:22 PM »

Normally after first light when tha only thing that the fish have seen all morning is roe, Or when the roe presentation is to big,  for example low clear water conditions when you have to go with a really small presentation!!!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »

One problem with your theory big steal not all fish have seen roe all morning and that theory only applies if you fish one area all day. ::) One thing i do agree with you is the small presentation with roe and wool. When i fish with roe i allways get my strike after most of the roe has fallen off actualy just the one egg usualy works best.
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:47:13 PM »

You assume a lot floater!!!!  I don't fish in one area all day!!!!  As you walk into holes, if there is someone there, don't you ask how it has been and what they were using, or look to see what they are using!!!  I do!!!   ::) ::)  Besides I think that you should maybe have more than 2 weeks experince fishing with roe before you pipe up on a subject!!!  I have been doing this for years, I have learned many things and many tricks.  Do I have more to learn, Hell Ya!!!!  You never stop learning out there.  But if someone thinks that they know it all, does that not inhibit there ability to learn!!!  Maybe you should listen some more, just a thought!!!!  I'm not saying this as a shot at you.  Just want you to think and learn.!!! ;D ;D
One problem with your theory big steal not all fish have seen roe all morning and that theory only applies if you fish one area all day. ::) One thing i do agree with you is the small presentation with roe and wool. When i fish with roe i allways get my strike after most of the roe has fallen off actualy just the one egg usualy works best.
By the way this is not a theory, this is what I have learned.  So instead of wasting my roe from about 10 am on I use other methods that work just fine.  If for some reason I get a feeling that I should go back to roe, then I do.  But I also hit more fish on another method than I do on wool.  Wool is my last resort.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 11:21:44 PM »

I smell a hypocrit ;D. You tell me i assume too much but everythign you jsut wrote about me was an assumption. Second sorry you took it so personal i guess your pretty sure about your "theories". By the way if fished with roe alot longer then two weeks :P just never cured it myself i allways got pre tied roe sacks from friends that i went on the trip with. I also believe a theory is something you learn. 8) Dont understand why you had to cut me so deep big steel this is just a forum and people discuss things right? I hate it when old timers think just cuz someone is young they need to learn something. Ofcourse everything if learned is nothing compared to what i havent but its still something. ::)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:26:50 PM by Floater »
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 11:30:13 PM »

Yes floater you are right.  I am sorry if I cut you deep!!!!  That was not my intention!!!! I just know what works for me, so to me, these are not theories, to me these are things that work.  A theory is something that you believe might work, with actually testing it fully yet!!!!  I have testing these things of which I speak enough for me to know what works for me.  They might not work for someone else though, everyone is different!!!!!  Each fisherman has his/hers own style, that will work for them. I try not to be a hypocrit, but aren't we all at times.  Whether we like to admit it or not!!!!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 11:40:01 PM »

Hey there you little..... Who are you callin an oldtimer??????? ;D ;D  I'm only 32!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 11:41:55 PM »

I call everyone who is older oldtimers. :P
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 11:46:30 PM »

Is it ok if I call you a punk then???? ;D ;D  How bout a beek????? ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 11:46:33 PM »

I call everyone who is older oldtimers. :P

Now you're really playing with fire ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 11:47:44 PM »

Is it ok if I call you a punk then???? ;D ;D  How bout a beek????? ;D ;D
You can call my anything you like this is the internet isant it? ;) but yah punk no thanks i hate punk lol.
[