Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder canal Oct 10th.  (Read 8738 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder canal Oct 10th.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »

Should use a strong enough line that you tire out the fish if you are planning to C&R, and need to be conciderate to others fishing around you.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 03:03:22 PM »

Should use a strong enough line that you tire out the fish if you are planning to C&R, and need to be conciderate to others fishing around you.

I would not consider using fire line being considerate to others. Everytime fire line runs over mono it cuts right through it.
Actions speak louder than words.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 03:08:37 PM »

agree, but I was inplying not to use weak lines that you need to let the fish run for a long while before you can recover someline.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 04:21:17 PM »

I would not consider using fire line being considerate to others. Everytime fire line runs over mono it cuts right through it.
Biffchan how can you have the problem when fishing away from the crowds? ;D
[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 05:55:51 PM »

I don't, but for the sanity of everyone else around you this is what I reccomend.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 06:25:51 PM by biffchan »
Actions speak louder than words.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »

HA lol Biff!!!!!!  You gonna take that floater!!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »

Only beeks use braided or 30+ mono lines on the Vedder. Round 1 goes to biffchan. lol

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 08:53:17 PM »

Only beeks use braided or 30+ mono lines on the Vedder. Round 1 goes to biffchan. lol
ouch!!!!!  That had to hurt!!!! LMAO!!! ;D ;D

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 09:09:31 PM »

no problem with using 20lb fireline. no memory and casts like silk. leader size depending on what your after. been using fireline for a few years now changing to new spool every year. never had a birds nest yet on my abu garcia levelwind. good stuff if used properly.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 09:12:48 PM »

I agree with trout slayer and biffchan...You should have fun playing the fish. Not just horse them in.
weeeeeeeeeow!

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 09:40:39 PM »

ouch?  you got me biff :'( :'(

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 09:44:31 PM »

You guys need a reality check, a BIG reality check about fireline and all that crap...

1. Fireline is a needless and wasteful exercise. Mono works just fine, and as for you guys wanting to horse fish around and all that jazz, you guys totally repulse me.

2. If 25 lb test or 20 lb mono test isn't good enough for you, then you guys have a serious problem--you guys should try Marlin fishing or fishing for large mouth bass....

3. 25 lb and 20 lb test is more than sufficient to play hundreds of springs, in a conservatiion minded manner which does not place undue harm or stress on the fish or other anglers. Personally, I have coached, guided and instructed anglers using 10.5 foot Rods, maxing out on EXTRA LARGE springs 50 , 60 and 70 and perhaps even 80 plus pounds for times up to and exceeding an hour and they were successfully released in a healthy manner.

4. I find it morally repugnant and offensive that someone from a sportsfishing community state that fireline is a necessity and recommended for the Vedder. Honestly now, GET a REALITY CHECK.

Now I know exactly why I find fishing the Vedder to be a morally challenging experience to myself for someone that has taken great pains to tag released springs and coho, kept bleeders, released springs, and educated others as the the real way a sportsperson treats the resource.

Regardless of whether or not a hatchery is the source of those springs, I still find it remorseful that any individuals or the thousands of individuals that partake in unsporting and undignified behaviours in any fishery---particulary the Vedder. You gotta give your head a shake.

I have personally had tens of thousands of springs on my lines and my guests lines and never once did I EVER have a twit bring fireline out fishing with me in the Queen Charlottes. If that was the case ( I think it happended twice), I made sure I taught him a lesson why fireline is totally stupid---and I didn't have to say anything about it, the first supercharged 25 lb Spring that got on that had it's way with him, finished off his reel pretty quick  :D  ;D. By the way, if you think that horsing your fish around and muscling your fish around is conservation minded, you are totally mistaken.

These fish in the Vedder don't run relative to wild ocean going fish.., they seldom turn down river and run for 100's of yards, and all the rest of it-- so how anyone states that monofiament is not sufficient is totally off base.

If you guys that say that fireline is needed to "muscle" your fish around in a pool of other so called "anglers" or fishers, you need to check your angling skills and find yourself another name other than "angler" or "fisher" because you're by definition, horsing fish around is no longer angling or sportsfishing according to the conventional definitions of those words as generally accepted by "sporting" anglers on the coast.

Thus the intent of my post is not to belittle people that have different opinions than me, but rather to serve as potential reality check as to EXACTLY what you guys are saying.

For example, fireline for salmon angling is on par with drivnig a HUMVEE to the corner grocery store, driving a Ferrari through the McDonald's Drive Thru, or using a .357 Magnum to shoot a Mosquito...give me a break guys.

Shaking my head.....
Fishin Magician... >:(
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 09:48:39 PM »

Very well said.

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 09:53:14 PM »

You guys need a reality check, a BIG reality check about fireline and all that crap...

1. Fireline is a needless and wasteful exercise. Mono works just fine, and as for you guys wanting to horse fish around and all that jazz, you guys totally repulse me.

2. If 25 lb test or 20 lb mono test isn't good enough for you, then you guys have a serious problem--you guys should try Marlin fishing or fishing for large mouth bass....

3. 25 lb and 20 lb test is more than sufficient to play hundreds of springs, in a conservatiion minded manner which does not place undue harm or stress on the fish or other anglers. Personally, I have coached, guided and instructed anglers using 10.5 foot Rods, maxing out on EXTRA LARGE springs 50 , 60 and 70 and perhaps even 80 plus pounds for times up to and exceeding an hour and they were successfully released in a healthy manner.

4. I find it morally repugnant and offensive that someone from a sportsfishing community state that fireline is a necessity and recommended for the Vedder. Honestly now, GET a REALITY CHECK.

Now I know exactly why I find fishing the Vedder to be a morally challenging experience to myself for someone that has taken great pains to tag released springs and coho, kept bleeders, released springs, and educated others as the the real way a sportsperson treats the resource.

Regardless of whether or not a hatchery is the source of those springs, I still find it remorseful that any individuals or the thousands of individuals that partake in unsporting and undignified behaviours in any fishery---particulary the Vedder. You gotta give your head a shake.

I have personally had tens of thousands of springs on my lines and my guests lines and never once did I EVER have a twit bring fireline out fishing with me in the Queen Charlottes. If that was the case ( I think it happended twice), I made sure I taught him a lesson why fireline is totally stupid---and I didn't have to say anything about it, the first supercharged 25 lb Spring that got on that had it's way with him, finished off his reel pretty quick  :D  ;D. By the way, if you think that horsing your fish around and muscling your fish around is conservation minded, you are totally mistaken.

These fish in the Vedder don't run relative to wild ocean going fish.., they seldom turn down river and run for 100's of yards, and all the rest of it-- so how anyone states that monofiament is not sufficient is totally off base.

If you guys that say that fireline is needed to "muscle" your fish around in a pool of other so called "anglers" or fishers, you need to check your angling skills and find yourself another name other than "angler" or "fisher" because you're by definition, horsing fish around is no longer angling or sportsfishing according to the conventional definitions of those words as generally accepted by "sporting" anglers on the coast.

Thus the intent of my post is not to belittle people that have different opinions than me, but rather to serve as potential reality check as to EXACTLY what you guys are saying.

For example, fireline for salmon angling is on par with drivnig a HUMVEE to the corner grocery store, driving a Ferrari through the McDonald's Drive Thru, or using a .357 Magnum to shoot a Mosquito...give me a break guys.

Shaking my head.....
Fishin Magician... >:(

wow, hats off to you. no harm intended!   you read my post, i like it and i like humvees.  this doesn'n mean i have bad fishing edicate. spelling maybe :-\

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 09:56:12 PM »

I will very loudly second what Fishin Magician has so eloquently stated!!!!!