Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CAp again oct 9.  (Read 4768 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: CAp again oct 9.
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 02:30:16 AM »

A question away from the argument. The rule that you cannot keep a fish foul hooked even if its mortaly founded. What if a situation accurse where you foul hook a fish bring it out and its a smaller pink lets say so the hook might of damaged one of its internal organs and you see exesive bleeding and when you go to realease the fish its not swimming away and floating belly up. :( If you just leave the fish dead on the beach arent you really breaking the other law of waisting the catch?. Personaly i havent been in this situation but sometimes whne it does happen and i realise the fish i wonder about this lol.
[

phatwop

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 05:14:29 AM »

Even if the fish were to die, letting it go would be the legal thing to do in any  case. Being caught with a fish that was fatally injured, but illegal to keep would just mean that you had an illegal fish if questioned by the DFO. Even explaining it well would still not deter from the fact that an illegal catch was in your possesion.

The coho's on the capilano have never been super easy to catch in my years of fishing there and to here that someone has 18 fish on at one point is suspect. Maybe there 's a new breed of super fishing kid out there now, the Sidney Crosby of fishing, but it's unlikely. It's sad to see this "single hook snagging" thing going on, but i guess it's become an option for some anglers. I hope it gets better soon.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 09:41:18 AM »

You raise a reasonable point Floater.  But the problem is - it would be far to easy to abuse by dishonest anglers.  You would see too many people intentionally snagging fish - then claiming the fish were fatally injured.  I don't mean to by cynical - but I've seen lots of poor behaviour out there - as I'm sure you all have...

Back to the Cap - are any guys getting fish on the fly?  I know of a fly pattern that is supposed to be deadly for Cap coho... ;)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2005, 09:49:06 AM »

yeahh i didnt but some lady got like 6 on the fly
but she landed 3

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2005, 09:53:05 AM »

Well Coho Kid..or whatever your handle is...I would like to challenge everyone reading this thread, and everyone else out there that may "jerk" the rod while river fishing, when the float dips, etc... to try a different method of fishing. Not to say that float fishing is the problem, but based on what I saw yesterday, there were 1000's of anglers on the Vedder, and even those that were "anglng" couldn't help but snag sometimes as the float disappeared, as their fish were foul hooked sometimes.

Personally,  I witnessed at the spot I was "fishing", 5 times as many fish purposefully snapped off and I don't call that SPORTING!!!

Reasons that I can think of as to why anglers would break off fish as deemed to be "acceptable" to the masses on the river seem to read something like this....

***PERSONALLY THOUGH**** if one is "angling" or "sportsfishing" I believe that an angler should "land" the fish, and not break it off when it goes to a lower pool, runs down/up river, or starts peeling off line.

1. BREAK it off if it's going to cost you your "spot"
2. BREAK it off if it is "foul hooked" and leave the hooks, line, and leader in fish--that's a form of "wounding" a fish in my opinion.
3. BREAK it off if you have to "disrupt" too many "anglers"
4. BREAK it off if you see "fit" for whatever reason---"this one is too black---this one is too small for keeping etc...

I am proud to say that I have never willfully "broken off" a fish unless a seal or sea lion or whale, was in the process of "consuming" the fish.

Personally, if one is "angling" and being "sporting" one would do what they could to "get the gear back" and not leave the fish to have a six foot piece of floss streaming from it's mouth, or other part of the body.

Just my opinion, and I believe a few people will take issue with that...but you "fish" your way...I'll fish mine..and maybe it's best that the "anglers" who break fish off in that way NOT try fishing in the ocean---it would just foul things up for most of the guys out there that are truly deserving of a "sporting" experience.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2005, 10:03:41 AM »

Fishing magician. your the first person to say that. and I'm with you a 100%..  Ive never wilfully broken my line before.. but on saturday.. my dad hooked a chum on its back somehow.. even with a short leader and the float wasnt too deep at the stave..... well he was reeling it in again the flow.. which made it even harder.. he didn't know what to do.. so I had to wade out a lil far and unhooked it.. some would call it impossible..  but I think the fish will live to spawn with out a hook in it's back carried with weight and a float.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2005, 10:11:14 AM »

Thank You Very Much for recognizing that.

Not to say that sea going salmon anglers are a squeaky clean angling fundamentalists, but I would like to think that I conduct myself in a morally, ethically, and conservation minded manner out there. :)

tight lines to "sporting" anglers out there.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 11:01:55 AM »

THAT IS WHY I DO NO FISH THE CAPILANO THIS TIME OF THE YEAR. I DO SPEAK TO PEOPLE THAT FISH THE RIVER AND I UNDERSTAND THAT SOME TIMES THEY COME HOME WITHOUT ANY FISH. ITS NOT THAT THEY DID NOT HOOKED ANY BUT MORE THEY ARE MOSTLY FOUL HOOKED. I CAN VENTURE TO SAY THAT A MAJORITY OF THE FISH ARE FOUL HOOKED AT THE CAPILANO.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2005, 11:05:17 AM »

You raise a reasonable point Floater.  But the problem is - it would be far to easy to abuse by dishonest anglers.  You would see too many people intentionally snagging fish - then claiming the fish were fatally injured.  I don't mean to by cynical - but I've seen lots of poor behaviour out there - as I'm sure you all have...

I totally agree. By allowing anglers to keep bleeding fish would only set up another loop hole where unethical fishermen would use to keep snagged fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2005, 11:11:47 AM »

I think we've said it all now.