Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CAp again oct 9.  (Read 4769 times)

SpringKing

Re: CAp again oct 9.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 11:15:22 PM »

Thats funny that you guys are sayin all this stuff about cohokid because obviesly you are wrong. I was right next to cohokid myslef and saw his float about a foot and a little off the bottom like you fish for coho. When i was watchin his float as i was pre-tyin i saw the bigger coho of his bunch strike, as cohokids float went under, when he braught it in the hook was in its mouth, so i dont know what your talkin about Doug. Doug is half correct about 2 snagged fish, as i saw cohokid bring them in, i helped him unhook the fish and let it on its way.
About the older gent, it actually wasnt in the belly at all but near the gills and up. (which is leagal to my undertandings) So im quick not sure where your gettin to this doug, but im pretty sure that we did the wrong thing unlike some other ppl on the other side that were keepin snaged coho in the back, and even a pink.
Tight lines

SpringKing

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 11:18:20 PM »

some spelling mistakes
but im pretty sure that we did the wrong thing unlike some other ppl on the other side that were keepin snaged coho in the back, and even a pink

but im pretty sure that we didnt do the wrong thing unlike some other ppl on the other side that were keepin snaged coho in the back, and even a pink

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 11:25:34 PM »

About the older gent, it actually wasnt in the belly at all but near the gills and up. (which is leagal to my undertandings) So im quick not sure where your gettin to this doug, but im pretty sure that we did the wrong thing unlike some other ppl on the other side that were keepin snaged coho in the back, and even a pink.
Since when do fish eat with their gill plates?

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 11:28:08 PM »

o well that was the old guy.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2005, 11:28:31 PM »

this is getting interesting  :o
crab cakes

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2005, 11:28:54 PM »

So SpringKing that was you next to Cohokid?  Don't be too proud since you were trying to do the same thing only Cohokid was much better at it.  In fact I can say he was the top rod on the river.  As for people on our side keeping fouled fish, I only saw one coho kept and fouled from someone fishing the tailout and I believe someone from the group above said something about it.  I even waited and sure enough he fouled another.  I had my camera with me waiting to snap a pic if he decided to keep another but alas he lost the fish.

Its not about how long your float is or how far off the bottom your hook is its all about the rip and setting hard at the same spot every drift ::)

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2005, 11:32:08 PM »

why would someone keep .. a snaged coho i personally think that doug .. didnt catch as many fish as he wanted so hes a little angry
crab cakes

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 11:38:39 PM »

well from this discussion we know that one snagged salmon was kept. If you look at the regulations, you cannot keep a foul hooked fish even if it is mortally wounded. And the point is to try  to keep people from snagging salmon because of the serious injury that can be done to the fish.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 11:41:28 PM »

yes but it wasnt me that kept a foul hooked salmon.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 11:44:18 PM »

Its not about how long your float is or how far off the bottom your hook is its all about the rip and setting hard at the same spot every drift ::)

I saw exactly the same thing by a couple of fishermen where I was fishing. The guy was "setting the hook" at the end of every cast. Funny he didn't catch any this morning.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 11:47:42 PM »

why would someone keep .. a snaged coho i personally think that doug .. didnt catch as many fish as he wanted so hes a little angry

LOL, that takes the cake!! Were you there stinkytroutboy?  I could care less whether I caught any fish today.  I just fish because I enjoy it, crowds or no crowds.  How often do you see me bragging about how I did?

SpringKing

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 11:52:06 PM »

LOL, that takes the cake!! Were you there stinkytroutboy? I could care less whether I caught any fish today. I just fish because I enjoy it, crowds or no crowds. How often do you see me bragging about how I did?

LOL becasue you never caught anything to brag about :P

meca_357

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 12:06:17 AM »

spring king that was just weak... if you are as good at fishing as you are at dissing people your comment goes right back at you

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 12:11:35 AM »

dont be hatin.. haha.. im totally confused but whatever. you can't really claim something your not sure about.. but I never knew that you could keep fish hooked gill plate up.. I managed to hook a fish's eye once.. somehow.. I let it go.. I didnt know what to do.. haha.. anyways I only keep fish hooked straight in the mouth, other wise I just let it go.. thats what i was taught :P

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 12:34:52 AM »

I guess I'll make a few comments before we end this thread, which is very soon.

Spring King, I take it you're a relative of Cohokid as both your messages are originated from the same location. I try my best to stay away from judging how people fish, but I choose to provide people information and allow them to make the decisions themselves. After reading through this thread a couple of times, my only problem sits on the fact that you believe a fish hooked anywhere from the gill plate up can be legally kept.

I've personally known Doug for a couple of years, and fished with him a few times. He's also very involved in fishery projects and both of us have worked together in the past including the upcoming Help Habitat Fundraiser, therefore I take his words very seriously. Doug is generally a very mellow guy, so it takes a lot for him to become very vocal. In this case, obviously he is very concerned about what he saw.

If an angler decides to keep a fish knowing that it is not hooked in the mouth but above the gill plates, wouldn't he be keeping a fish that is snagged? I think the issue that is being questioned here is not where the fish were hooked, but the intention of the fishermen. If a whole bunch of fish are being brought in and some have the hook near the mouth, some have the hook in the mouth, some have the hook near the gill plate, some have the hook on other parts of the body, then the technique may need to be questioned. Of course some fish are caught after being enticed by the presentation on the hook, but does the technique need to be changed to reduce the frequency of foul hooked fish? It's not so much about how long the leader is, how deep a person is fishing, but how you intend to catch them. The hard jerk of the rod at the end of each drift is unnecessary.

I've seen that being done too often on the Vedder this season. I avoid confronting this issue as I like to leave the legality of one's fishing technique to the enforcement officers. Call me a purist, but when I fish I enjoy the satisfaction knowing that a fish is hooked cleanly as it pulls that float down. I don't want to bring in a fish and assess where that hook is on the head then decide whether it is keepable or not. It is a personal choice that you have to live with. That is exactly why I am not a participant in the sockeye fishery, which would contradict my above view towards fishing.

I don't think Doug is judging Cohokid's conduct as a person. I've met cohokid once in person and he is indeed a well mannered kid, who enjoys fishing a lot. I think Doug's anger stems from what he saw on the river and in this report. He and I both wish for the same thing, which is to see the young generations learning fishing the proper way during their growth. He first pm'ed me regarding his concern, as he did not want to draw attention to you cohokid. I told him to address his concerns here as there appears to be a problem at this particular location based on recent reports. My approach of addressing the concerns would probably be a bit different to his. ;) Personally, in the last ten years, while fishing during the bait ban period, the most I've HOOKED in one day (on spoons) was four coho, even with hundreds of fish flopping all over my pool.