Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calling all pin-heads.  (Read 12657 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Calling all pin-heads.
« on: October 08, 2005, 02:40:45 PM »

Hey guys,I have been thinking about getting a pin set-up for a while.Looking for info on the differences/advantages of the different brands ,sizes,  and models.I mostly fish in tight quarters so a set up that takes min loading would be better.Considering Islanders and Milners are a little out of my budget and my fondness of things old school I am leaning toward J.W young Seldex/Seldex II or Trudex  or  Avon  Royal supreme /Silex (yes those can be pricey too)Have seen some on the boards around $200.I prefer one that can be set up too reel with left hand/rod in right.Info on drags and checks(is that a freewheel mech?) bearing vs. bushing.Thanx  :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 12:22:17 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
Re: Calling all pin-heads.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 03:12:23 PM »

Winter run ,i think its made by Trophy??Its a bushing reel like the seldex II.You dont see too many seldexes for sale.The winter run is like 200bucksor a lttle cheaper?
Please honey can i go fishing now???

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 04:30:17 PM »

get a avon royal supreme. i use one and they are great

James

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 06:47:34 PM »

i have been using this , Silex for a couple years , it does not have the original handles but it is nice . Casting can be difficult to learn , it was for me , but I got this reel and a 10'6 rod for only $100  . thought i throw in a pic too .

I have been told that it maybe worth something , but I dunno much about it .  But I recomend it !

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 10:51:52 PM »

What are the advantages? 

Spoonman

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 08:11:31 AM »

Thanx for the info so far guys.I have already heard to stay away from the trophy winterrun.Still waiting too read some detailed tech. info/detailed pics. Do some come with no adjustable set-up/just on/off with clicker?.....some with adjustable spring tensioned click/pawl?I realize that any adjustment would be minimal compared to what you would have on a level-wind or spinning reel.  From the pictures I've seen the Trudex has an adjustable tension nut/wheel exposed through the spool? And the  Royal Supreme has a lever adjust With about 5 settings ??? Ones with larger arbor for faster retrieve?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 12:38:11 PM by Spoonman »

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 09:46:41 AM »

For the price the Rushton is a good pin

James

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 10:38:12 AM »

since my pics suck , the printing onthe back of that reel says ,
The Silex
Hardy Bros.
England

Liptugger

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 10:58:32 AM »

First off, Hardy's doesn't make the Avon Royal Supreme. If you can find a good deal on a Hardy Silex, do it. I love my Hardy reels and will not trade them.
For a first pin, Canadain Tire has the Okuma aventa for $169.00, a real steal for the starter. This reel is miles ahead of the winterrun, and would get you on the game, then you could take your tim looking for a good Hardy and still have a combat reel.

Regards,
Randy

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 12:06:46 PM »

I would take a milner over an islander.
weeeeeeeeeow!

buck

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 12:15:33 PM »

The Roe Kid

Milner all the way.

Spoonman

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 12:37:24 PM »

First off, Hardy's doesn't make the Avon Royal Supreme.

Regards,
Randy
   My bad,thought it was.Thanx for the tip on the Adventa.Was aware of them but had not run across any feedback on them.            Pinhead..yes I have seen it,also the Trudex.That's what prompted my original post.    No one willing to share info on mechanics/comparisons?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 12:41:01 PM by Spoonman »

Gillie

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 03:16:13 PM »

Well I have only owned an Islander so I have no real point of reference for a comparison. I do know that one has to chuck alot of weight to get it spinning. I'm happy with it and would not trade it for anything. However I will be buying some Hardy's for my collection soon.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 04:00:59 PM »

this summer i was at the vedder and was chatting with a member by the name of "gumboots" i beleive.  He was using a plastic centre pin that he got for like 50 bucks or something.  He says he has more expenses ones like the milner but chooses to use the plastic one.  He says it works just as good and you don't feel bad when you get a little nick on it. You could always pm him and ask what kind it was.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Islanderguy

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 04:32:45 PM »

I agree with  Gillie, the Islander takes a bit more finesse to cast because it plain holds to much line and bearings are not as easy to move as bushings.  Once I find another reel  (wify let me spend the money..or trade one for a trad bow)l, my Islander will only be a back-up reel. My boss made his own that is smoother than glass, but I don't have the time.  Seen some of the local made ones that I like and I like the feel of the Milners.