Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salted shrimp?  (Read 6717 times)

No_way

Salted shrimp?
« on: October 07, 2005, 11:27:50 PM »

I was reading on the net that some people salt shrimp that they are using as bait (for flounders in that case).  It's meant to help it stay on the hook and taste better.  Have any of you heard of this?  I always just use fresh shrimp in the shell.

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Salted shrimp?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 12:18:28 AM »

I use salted cocktail shrimps for steelheads and cohos.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 09:03:50 PM »

used to fish steelhead using ghost shrimp but lately due to lazyness i have been using shrimp. i find that if you cook them a bit (fresh shrimp) in salt water the shell is a little harder and therefore the shrimp stays on your hook better. i also find that i need to put a toothpick through the tail so that the tail is straight and doesn't spin.

i have also found that i have been catching just as much using shrimp as i did with ghost shrimp but i think overall ghost shrimp are better.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 08:04:04 AM »

For Flounder try Squid it stays on the hook better especially if it's salted down.

IamCanadian

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 10:26:22 PM »

Salt it down? And is it used for making the bait smell even worse?

Thanks. Ian ;D

No_way

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 04:02:46 PM »

For Flounder try Squid it stays on the hook better especially if it's salted down.

I tried using squid for just that reason, but never had any luck with it.  Dew worms and shrimp seem to work best for me.  Even sea worms didn't produce noticeably better.

As for salted shrimp, I've tried it for a couple days now off the dock.  Works really good for flounders and greenlings so far, and it's a nice bait to handle.  It doesn't stink as much as raw shrimp after a few hours out side, stays on better, and works as well as anything I've found.  NOTE: It gets quite hard so make sure that you use a big enough hook so that the point is well exposed.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 06:35:11 PM »

I've tried it with ghost shrimps. Doesn't work.

No_way

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 06:52:41 PM »

I have never tried that. Would you be able to cure up dead bugs? I would like to try it with the ones that don't survive until the trip to the river :-[

Umm.. what kind of dead bugs?  Grasshoppers, maggots?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 07:04:35 PM »

I have never tried that. Would you be able to cure up dead bugs? I would like to try it with the ones that don't survive until the trip to the river :-[

Ghost shrimps

No_way

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »

Ghost shrimps

Ooops.  Sorry, I guess I'm not hip to the drift fisher's lexicon  ;)

JiG_Head

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 09:29:43 PM »

i think the salt removes the exest liquid from the flesh of the shrimp/prawn. soo... that mite be the reason it holds better?
the shyt talker.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 09:31:22 PM »

Precisely

No_way

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 09:35:47 PM »

It also denatures the proteins and makes the tissue itself tougher.  Like the denatured proteins in a cooked egg white are tougher than in a raw egg.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 12:08:06 AM »

It also denatures the proteins and makes the tissue itself tougher.  Like the denatured proteins in a cooked egg white are tougher than in a raw egg.

So... is that good or bad? and for roe would it be a good way to cure roe?

No_way

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 03:13:51 PM »

So... is that good or bad? and for roe would it be a good way to cure roe?

It's good, if that is what you want.  That is why we salt bait.  Salting Roe is VERY VERY common.  Check in the bait fridge at the corner store.  But bare in mind what you are going to use the roe for.  For spring salmon in the lower Frazer it is used all of the time.  I don't know about up river, perhaps others can chime in on where salted roe is used commonly.  But not all fish will take it.  For example, boraxed roe is used for Cohos in the Frazer because they like it softer.  So yes, you can salt roe and it is very common.  If you know where you plan to use it then post a message and I'm sure others will suggest whether or not to salt it for that particular fishery.