Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angling opening on the Squamish River, Cheakamus River and Mamquam River  (Read 5311 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=83446&ID=recreational

The Cheakamus River, Mamquam River and the Squamish River downstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River were closed to all angling following the August 5, 2005 chemical spill.  This spill had a major effect on those species that were present in the system on August 5.  Coho and chum currently returning to these systems were not affected by this spill.

Effective October 1, 2005 until December 31, 2005

In the mainstem of the Squamish River downstream of the boundary signs at the powerline crossing located approximately one mile upstream of the Cheakamus River; in that portion of the Cheakamus River downstream of the Bailey Bridge (known as the BC Hydro Bridge) located approximately 2 km north of where the Squamish Valley road crosses the Cheakamus River; and in that portion of the Mamquam River downstream of the BC Rail Bridge to the confluence with the Squamish River, you may retain:

- two (2) Chinook per day, none over 55 cm; and
- two (2) chum per day.

Effective October 1, 2005 until December 31, 2005

In the mainstem of the Squamish River downstream of the boundary signs at the powerline crossing located approximately one mile upstream of the Cheakamus River; in the Cheakamus River downstream of the lower waterfall located approximately 1.5 km upstream of the suspension bridge at Misty Lane; and in the Mamquam River, you may retain:

- one (1) hatchery coho per day.

Anglers are reminded that a hatchery Coho means a Coho salmon that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

The Cheakamus River upstream of the lower waterfall located approximately 1.5km upstream of the suspension bridge at Misty Lane to the dam at Daisy Lake will remain closed to angling until further notice.  This is consistent with Provincial freshwater regulations, and is intended to protect resident trout and char until post-spill assessment is completed.

Further actions required to address stocks that were harmed by the chemical spill will be consulted on with the local sport fishing community.  These actions might include measures to protect the 2007 pink and coho returns, the 2008 chinook return, 2008 steelhead return, and resident trout and char.

The BC Ministry of Environment is concerned about by-catch of the remaining trout and char in the river.  Anglers are asked to act responsibly and avoid by-catch until the status of these species is determined.  Consult the regulations regularly for changes, as new information becomes available.

Anglers are reminded that the use of bait is not permitted on the Squamish River and tributaries and that single, barbless hooks are required when fishing  for salmon and when angling in all streams of Region 2.

For more information regarding salmon fisheries please contact the Squamish DFO office at 604-892-3230, or call our salmon information line at 604-666-2828.   For information regarding the management of steelhead, trout and char please  consult the Provincial website.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is very concerned about illegal fishing activity  and asks for assistance from the general public in reporting activities of this  nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with  information can call the 24-hour, toll-free Observe, Record, Report line at 1- 800-465-4336

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0771
Sent September 30, 2005 at 1457

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Angling opening on the Squamish River, Cheakamus River and Mamquam River
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 04:03:58 PM »

Excellent news !

fisher88

Re: Angling opening on the Squamish River, Cheakamus River and Mamquam River
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 07:09:01 PM »

are there any hos in the system right now around there?
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

18 lb cohos no doubt  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

How does one learn to catch fish that way? I had to make close to 200 casts today to hook 5 fish and here I thought I was doing good but then to top it off one of them turned out to be foul hooked. :o

I must be doing something wrong. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 01:45:38 PM by chris gadsden »

thefishcounter

It blows my mind how DFO is willing to continuously find ways to spend tax payers money on hatchery programs and habitat projects within the Cheakamus/Squamish systems and in light of the recent chemical spill, open the fishery to a chinook retention.  Do these guys troughly have a brain.  If I recall from the recent collection of dead fish following the spill, there were a number of adult chinook in the carcass piles!!  Who knows the true impact on the Chinook, why would they not simply keep it closed for the remainder of the year to protect the species.  They have blatantly stated in the notice that there may have to be conservation actions taken in 2008, anticipating that there would potentially be poor returns due to the spill event.  I don't commonly fish the Squamish systems, and so I can't speak for others, but under the already depressed Chinook numbers within the greater Squamish systems, and in light of the disastrous spill, I personally would feel ethically wrong if I was to kill one of those fish.  Damn it, have we not learned that if we give these ecosystems a chance, they will recover on there own.  Leave the poor fish alone.  I have a feeling that a few of us including DFO, have forgotten what happened to one of our beautiful BC ecosystems, and it's quite unfortunate.  But then again, without destroying our environment, how else will we move the economy along.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

thefishcounter, retention is only opened for chinook jacks, not adult chinooks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

How does one learn to catch fish that way? I had to make close to 200 casts today to hook 5 fish and here I thought I was doing good but then to top it off one of them turned out to be foul hooked. :o

I must be doing something wrong. ;D ;D

ML fans are slow learners. ;D

wading2fish

Monday, both rivers were still VERY silty--no vis..