Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoking salmon using a little chief  (Read 8567 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
smoking salmon using a little chief
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:37:27 PM »

how many pans of chips would you use ? and how many hours would you smoke it for ? iam smoking a 20lb white spring and this is my first time using the smoker need advice....

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: smoking salmon using a little chief
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:21:57 PM »

Im also smoking up a 20 pound spring as a i post this. :P And wont you believe it same smoker too lol. I usualy go through about 1 pan an every 1 and a half hours and smoke for about 8 hours. I find you get a good ammount of smoke if you mix smaller wood chips near saw dust with bigger chunks.
[

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:54:45 PM »

hi floater  what flavor of chips are you using? i am using the hickery to give it more smoke flavor and to give it some color dark soy sauce with dill pickle seasoning to marinade .

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 02:08:12 PM »

Im using hikery and some cherry chips. To marinate i just keep it simple salt and pepper and leave it for about 24 hours to marinate but soy souce is good to for salt substitution.
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »

Just use 3 or so pans of chips changing 1.5 hours or so. You don't really need chips burning the entire smoke. I was smoking pink salmon for 10 hr and fininshing it off in the oven set at 300. Also, it is a good idea to cover the smoker in the box it came in otherwize it will take really long to smoke, especially for a big spring.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 03:32:23 PM »

Roe kid thats not a good idea to tottaly make sure the smoke dosent get out you build up this ashy moisture on the lid after a while and it gets all over your fish giving it a bad taste and then some. The oven idea on the other hand maybe not bad but i also find that leaving the fish in the fridge overnight firms it up just fine.
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 04:06:07 PM »

i am just telling you what i and others do when we smoke our fish.  The final product is excellent.
weeeeeeeeeow!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 04:18:21 PM »

I have a Big Chief and keep my box over top of the smoker as well. It works great and gets the smoke flavour into the fish much better than if it were not used. I even sealed the box better to really keep the smoke in. I take the box off once I am done smkoing and just drying the meat.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 04:41:11 PM »

I have done the box trick before, but I don't think it increases the smoke flavor, it just increases the cure time as the temperature is elevated. That being said, I no longer cover the smoker with the box due to the fire hazard as pointed out in the manual. If you want more smoke flavour, just use another pan of chips. 2-3 pans is recommended by the smoker manufacturer. If you want to speed up the curing time, do the oven trick after the smoking is complete.

Cure time is a matter of preference. For a 20lb spring 5-6 hrs will give a lachs-like, moist product, 8 hours will be medium dry and 12 hours will give salmon jerky.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 04:55:12 PM »

Pucks are the best.

Only if you have a Bradley.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer