Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Testament of a Fisherman (fishing quote)  (Read 1840 times)

Roots

Testament of a Fisherman (fishing quote)
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:53:16 PM »

Since it's been a little rainy lately, I thought I'd post a little quote I found while catching up on my reading...

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun."

- Robert Traver, 1964 (Judge John Voelker, 1903-1993)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Testament of a Fisherman (fishing quote)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:43:35 AM »

I agree with most but the bribing part. Arent you bribing the trout to bite when you set a fly infront of them.Its like putting a plate of the most delicious food infront of you when your really hungry and you try not eating it.
[