Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much rain is too much rain?  (Read 3053 times)

nasus

How much rain is too much rain?
« on: September 29, 2005, 12:16:26 PM »

Question.
I was thinking about heading to the Vedder for the first time this Saturday morn.
A friend told me fishing would be better after a rain as water levels are low, but can it come to a point where there is too much rain?. I mean does it ever come to a point where one should say forget it and try another weekend becasue water levels are too high?

I was told to keep my eye on the Real-Time Hydrometric Data for the Chilliwak River (http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/fullgraph.asp), but since I have never been there, this data means nothing to me! Is there a certain increase I should be looking for, or acertain water level height? HOW MUCH RAIN IS TOO MUCH RAIN?

Can anyone help,or make recommendations.
Cheers

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: How much rain is too much rain?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:42:50 PM »

High water level does not usually mean no fishing.  Water clarity is the key.  If the river first floods due to heavy rain, the water is usually muddy with no visibility due to ground level run off.  It is also full of trees branches and leaves.  But when rain stops, and water comes from underground springs or seepage, or from slow snow melt, then the water will not be saturated with solids, and water clarity will increase even if the hydrometer shows the same water level as a rising fresh flood.  You probably want to give the local tackle store a call before your trip to be safe.  I called Fred's Tackle quite often during the steelhead season right before I started the car to see if water visibility is worth the trip.  Of course I am a late bird and my call is done after they open shop in the morning.  For early birds, you may want to call them the day before, before they close shop and pray that no overnight rain will spoil your fun. Other tackle shops can also help if they have most current reports from fishermen.  Of course, there are unselfish FWR members like Chris who is tirelessly helpfull to report on river condition all the time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 12:48:06 PM by funfish »

nasus

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 01:11:39 PM »

Thanks for the info funfish, great advice.
I will definitely call Fred's tackle (in Chilliwak?) before I head out and will keep my eyes glued to the hydrometer and the FWR website.
I am extremely excited to the fish the Vedder, and reading the reports and seeing the pics on the FWR website all add to it. I have never caught (landed) a salmon, and I do not expect much. Even if I spend the day walking and exploring the river,and checking out all the areas I have heard/read about I will consider myself successful.

Does stream morphology change much depending on the wate level. I am jsut worried that I will spend the day getting to know parts of the river, and the next time I return it will be totally different. Oh well, more exploring I guess.

Does anyone know how late in the year salmon fishing will persist in the Vedder/Chilliwak?

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 01:25:23 PM »

You can still catch fish if the river is high with low visibility. You just have to know where. I don't mind fishing high water; keeps the weekend fishermen away !

nasus

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 01:38:50 PM »

Thanks Fish Assasin,
I have pretty much made up my mind. Come low visibility or high water, I am still heading out. And, the fewer the fisherman the better.
Where would you go when the water is high and dirty. I don't want an exact location of course but more the type of water I would look for. I plan to do a tonne of walking, and hope to come across some water where I can raise an eyebrow and think to myself "there has to be a fish here" Would it be the same as looking for good trout holding water?
Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 01:59:33 PM »

You have PM

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 07:01:49 PM »

i have had better luck when the river is blown out then when its not blowen out

nasus

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 08:03:41 PM »

Hey cohokid,
Just wondering, what type of fishing do you have better success with when there is a blowout.
Thanks