Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worm Farms  (Read 8373 times)

IamCanadian

Worm Farms
« on: September 20, 2005, 10:35:24 PM »

I was wondering if I could make one on my own. From what I have seen on websites, you seem to need a sophistacated that seems pretty expensive for growing worms. Could I use a rubbermaid container? And if so, how could I collect the fertilizer and drain the excess water. Plus, when you put food in the container, wouldn't it attract animals, such as raccoons and such. Last question, how mant worms are in a container when you buy it at a gas station?

Thanks. Ian ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Worm Farms
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:51:48 PM »

You could use any container you like. When I was raising them I use a blue recyling box. Feed them coffee grinds, vegetables, fruits etc. No meat or fish ! The containers you buy at service stations usually hold 12 worms.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 11:35:59 PM »

how about the humus created by the worms? do you ever clean them out?

phatwop

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:27:42 AM »

a bit off topic but what do those "worm blowers" do? i've seen them at berry's bait. are they worms they sell "blown up"?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:31:29 AM »

a bit off topic but what do those "worm blowers" do? i've seen them at berry's bait. are they worms they sell "blown up"?

never heard of them. ??? i know they sell the food that makes the worm change colour.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 06:47:55 AM »

IamCanadian, I attended the agri fair down in Everit couple years back and a lady had a big booth on worm colonies, I spent 20 minutes talking with her. 

Any containers will do.  FA was right regarding coffe grinds being good.  Another good food for worms is shreaded news paper...I think I remember the girl saying worms easily disgest cellulose (in paper) and that her worm colonies grown in shreaded paper she keeps in the house (they have virtually no smell).

Dont know for sure, but I think you may have to wet the paper a little but between that and the coffee grinds you have some pretty easy mediums go grow your worms.

Would it be as simple as getting a container of deweys from the gas station and then letting "go at it"?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 10:19:51 AM »

Or if you have a compose bin. Just check the bottom portion you'll find a lot of worms.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 01:11:42 PM »

Whatever container you use be sure to cover it while allowing for ventilation. As I found out the hard way, dew worms have a tendency to wander ! ;)

IamCanadian

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 05:41:44 PM »

Well, what do u do with the excess water collected at the bottom? And do u have to take away the "fertiliser" produced by the worms? Along with that, I was thinking of using a huge rubbermaid bin, but the problem is, when you add in the holes for ventilation, is it possible for thw worms to crawl out?

Thanks for the help. Ian

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 07:04:57 PM »

You don't want the soil to be soaking wet, just moist.

IamCanadian

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 07:15:41 PM »

How many worms do u guys think a large size rubbermaid bin will hold? and should I start with one container or two containers of worms?

Thanks. Ian

halorail

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 08:03:34 PM »

a good book on raising worm is "worms eat my garbage" by Mary Appelhof. It's probably the best book on worms for the home hobbest. Heres a link to Chapters
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=worms+eat+my+garbage&Submit_Search.x=10&Submit_Search.y=6
I got mine out of the public library. I use a rubbermaid tot about 18x24x12" with lid. Drill a few 1/4" about 6" apart on the bottom. Place it in a larger tray or shallow bin. Separate the two bins slightly this will allowe excess water to pass out of the worm farm. The bedding I use is shredded paper, it take about 7 times the volume of the container once it is wet. Thats the trick how wet is too wet. If the worm gather along the sides it's to wet. If you put a 1lb of worms they usual eat the average vegetable waste of my family ( 5 ). Buy the right type of worms (Eisenia fetida, or red wigglers) Google grower in you area there are some there, worm run about $30lb. The best thing to do first it to read that book.
Pack Out Your Trash

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 09:13:02 PM »

like BwiBwi suggests, if you have a compost pile, you will have worms.  If you don't already have night crawlers (I think these are what you call dew worms), you can add a few to your pile, and you should have them from then on.  You can start with just a pile of leaves . . . And once you have a compost pile, you might as well have a garden.  At that point, you will seldom want for bait.

IamCanadian

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 10:03:10 PM »

I don't have a compost pile...perhaps I could get one. But for the worm farm, is there a difference between red wigglers and dew worms?

Thanks. Ian ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 10:37:31 PM »

sure sounds like you're going through alot for the sake of raising worms.  do you need that many because you fish alot? or is it for a hobby?